[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Pinotage

Events Bot

Event Name: FNB Wines2Whales Pinotage
When: 29 October 2018 - 31 October 2018
Where: Lourensford (Somerset West), Western Cape
Category: MTB

Starting in the Winelands of Somerset West, riders will cross through (and over) 13 wineries, 26 private farms, six

mountains, historic roads and mountain passes, nature conservation areas (including the Kogelberg Biosphere)

before finishing within sight of the famous whales of Hermanus!

For more information on the FNB Wines2Whales MTB events please e-mail

chardonnay@wines2whales.com , pinotage@wines2whales.com or shiraz@wines2whales.com or visit

www.wines2whales.com

Go to Event Page

• 10 months later...

Weather predictions not looking great at this moment. Looks like it might be a mud fest or tri-athlons instead if that much rain falls as predicted...

So all the now need for the Siraz race is storm winds, then they basically had all the extreme weather systems covered again this year for the w2w

So they have evacuated everyone from the race village to a school due to the risk of fires and the high winds. Hectic. 

Race to start at 11am. No one allowed back in rave village till 10am. Hope the bikes are secured.

Evacuation was more to due to the smoke I hear. Fire was upwind of the camp

did any of the overnight rain get to Grabouw? It bucketed in Somerset West (ok at least down this side of somerset west).

Also believe today's stage was done purely on an optional basis due to the risky conditions on the trails.  Any riders not doing today's event can still ride tomorrow and finish formally. 

So how was the riding yesterday for those that participated?  Must say I thought the weather was a challenge last year with the heat and wind and rain, but this year it just took it to another level it seems.  

Hope today went much better and that all got to the end safely (including the bikes, as I wonder how many drivechains got eaten up in the mud yesterday)