Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

Ok, long story, I was a decent mtber finishing in the top third of the field at one day and 3 day events like Sani and berg and bush. June 2015 I had a very bad fall off a vandalised bridge on our local trail. I landed straight on the top of my head from a height of nearly 2m. Thanks to my giro helmet I escaped concussion but, according to the neurosurgeon I came very close to breaking my neck. Two herniated discs meant that I was off the bike for 4 months. When I started my journey back I decided to follow a low impact training regime. I did some research and stumbled upon the Maffetone concept of training and nutrition. I started on the Maffetone training and eating plan early 2016. Due to things happening with me and my family during this time (it was the worst drought in 100 years in our part of the freestate, I went nearly bankrupt and lost almost half of my land and all my 25 year savings, my son developed a life threatening depression) I fell into a depression of my own and completely stopped cycling and fell into very bad habits for 2 years. Gained 20 kg and nearly became an alcoholic.

Good thing you didnt go the booze route...it took me a long time to get off the booze...the problem with the booze...people offer to help but because you loose the liss for life...that bottle becomes your only friend...it took me years to recover from the accident...then a couple more years to get off the bottle...i lost everything...ended up on the street...it has taken a long time to recover...to rebuild my life...and my business. 

I have a similar story...i hit a steel pole with my right arm...after loosing control of my motor bike racing with a porsche 911 turbo (the GPZ 1100 was a total right off)...it has left me with restricted movement in my hand and elbow and a hand full of pins.

i learnt from that experience...you have to get your mind right and move forward...no matter how many people tried to help me fix my life only i could do it...i believe you can only fall that deep...then it its up up and away...you can also only appreciate the pleasures in life after you have had them taken away.

that is why these posts are so important...they inspire people to get up and do it...only they can make the decision to do it...but a little motivation sometimes helps.

it is very important to talk about problems in your life...you will find that you are not alone...we are all in this battle together.

one of the most important lesson i have learnt in this journey...set a goal and make it happen...if it doesnt happen today or next week or next month...just keep trying it will happen if you just keep trying...you might even surprise yourself with the results ;) 

when i look back at what i have achieved since 2015...man i have to pat myself on the back...because i didnt think i could even do half the stuff i have done. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking, us "fatties" who are riding to lose weight - how well will we do in events once we've lost the weight we want to lose? Training with a few extra kg's surely makes your legs stronger, right?

Saying that, my Amashova time was better than my Argus time in 2012, and I had put on roughly 15kg before Amashova.

I was just thinking, us "fatties" who are riding to lose weight - how well will we do in events once we've lost the weight we want to lose? Training with a few extra kg's surely makes your legs stronger, right?

Saying that, my Amashova time was better than my Argus time in 2012, and I had put on roughly 15kg before Amashova.

I don't know, but planning on finding out at this year's K2C. Have never done it before, but it's part of my motivation.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

d7b6889b7373969f6b2a0281d3da25ef.jpg

Edited by Beesrib

I commute almost every day with the bike, and I can tell you I can feel a big difference just taking off the backpack to ride on the weekends, so if I drop the spare tyre factory around the middle it should be even more noticeable. :P

with about 3kg less, and less structured training with abit more strength work, last year I was able to shave off 5 minutes from my 2016 947 times.

difficult to say which helped as my time up Steyn city was slower last year vs 2016 so difficult to judge i guess. but who cares, getting that sub3 was all I wanted.

I don't know, but planning on finding out at this year's K2C. Have never done it before, but it's part of my motivation.

d7b6889b7373969f6b2a0281d3da25ef.jpg

Nice

Ja I'm going to see how many local road races I can do this year. I saw the Chiropractor on Wednesday and asked about Argus, but before I could say next year, he said that I shouldn't attempt it this year, but next year should be okay. I wouldn't mind doing Tour Durban in April, but if 100+ km isn't okay at the moment, then I won't attempt that either - instead, I'll do the 45km Tour Durban. I haven't seen or heard much about what's happening with Toti 69er this year, so by October, if I'm back down to the low 80's, or weighing somewhere between 75 and 80, I would like to beat the time I did at Amashova 2012. I might even skip the Cape Town Cycle Tour next year and do the 947 as I haven't ridden in Gauteng yet.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Cheers Losers. I am having a treat on all the weight lost in January. . Thx for the inspiration. e7aeccc893dbe9147fd0d5f76fb5e5ba.jpg

Nice!! Enjoy!

Friday last week. Weight = 89kg

Monday morning this week. Weight 96.6kg (a lot of fluid retention, acid reflux/heartburn)

Father in law, 70th, birthday bash. #nuffsaid

Weight this morning? 91.2kg

Going for 100km ride tomorrow! #penaltyride!

flip emotional eating is moving things in the wrong direction.

managed to cut down the sugar stuff and bread, but jislaaik the emo eating makes not having a cake and biscuit tricky!

even a dollop of syrup in the oats in the morning has crept in this week.

as a result my weight went from 93 down to 90, but it is back to 91.

not happy all round !

managed to cut down the sugar stuff and bread, but jislaaik the emo eating makes not having a cake and biscuit tricky!

not happy all round !

Jip I think all of us had a tight hold on things during January, now the hard work really starts. I can also feel the need for sugars and burgers and pizza and everything I know I should not do. As long as one bad meal does not go into two bad meals and on and on,I think we should be OK. I can also really feel my body is tired as I am also still going strong in the 365 challenge. Today took it easy and just finished a lekker braai with the family. But I will not let go and keep on fighting for the rest of the weekend.

not happy all round !

I assume you'll eventually get used to it. Where I'm lucky, is that I went without sugar and bread etc in 2015 for that weight loss mission, so I'm not missing it too much this time around. Some days I feel a bit drained, like I need sugar, but I munch on some fruit, like nectarines. I think I'm going to stock up on some bananas tomorrow though for extra energy during workouts.

Today was bad. Everyone at work ordered pies for lunch, and there I was eating a slice of ham on cracker bread, but I was in the mood for a pie.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I am writing this as I sit in an Indian restaurant waiting for my takeaway order. This is my deliberate bad meal for the week, which I have saved for calorie wise over the past four days.