Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

I managed to reach 100.7kg this year and have battled, mostly with diet to get down to 94kg.

I did get as low as 92.5kg but seem to have settled back up.

Exercise is proving tough, diet is not enough to drop me below that elusive 90kg mark. Anyone got some ideas for me?

I do not know how many times it has been mentioned in this thread, but there is probably not a better resource for practical knowledge on dieting than the Swedish site https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Down from dadbod 118.5kg to 113.6 in just under a week. Let's see where this Carb refusal will take me. (bar dairy lactose)

Weight generally seems to drop quite quickly in the beginning, but you might find you'll have to work harder to lose more weight later on :ph34r:

88 and some change kg on the scale on Saturday morning, so from shooting up to 90, I'm happy with that. If I can get back down to 85 and some change, I'll be as happy as a pig in poop.

Weight generally seems to drop quite quickly in the beginning, but you might find you'll have to work harder to lose more weight later on :ph34r:

Jip. I recon so. Power levels the same. Weight down. Clothing loose. Mostly extravascular fluid retention I recon. But the daily commute on a fasted tummy is doing wonders for my ketogenesis. Initially I felt pap and weak. Immediately (although shortly) energised after say, an apple. Now. Apple or not. Feels fine. Work in a hospital. Actually registered positive for ketones on my urine sample I did for interest sake. So this Carb free diet MUST work. Lipogram and uric acid will be done in about 6w to see if this is sustainable. Got to be careful not to chase one number and screw up seven others.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been  doing  an  experiment with my liquid (tea /coffee ) intake . I generally drink 5 cups of black tea with sweetener in daily . In august i decided to change 3 cups daily to coffee with sweetener and two black tea . I use half a cup of hot milk and two spoons of coffee creamer to get a bit of froth in the cup ( looks better ) . Since changing to this regime my weight loss has slowed down dramatically . Im battling to break the 92kg barrier which i had set as a target for end August . What do you guys think is the negative to coffee compared to tea  if any . Next month i'm going back to my old ways and will report it here . 

I have been doing an experiment with my liquid (tea /coffee ) intake . I generally drink 5 cups of black tea with sweetener in daily . In august i decided to change 3 cups daily to coffee with sweetener and two black tea . I use half a cup of hot milk and two spoons of coffee creamer to get a bit of froth in the cup ( looks better ) . Since changing to this regime my weight loss has slowed down dramatically . Im battling to break the 92kg barrier which i had set as a target for end August . What do you guys think is the negative to coffee compared to tea if any . Next month i'm going back to my old ways and will report it here .

From my experience, I've never had a problem losing weight from drinking coffee, but as a suggestion, maybe cut out the sweeteners. I say that, even though I've gone back to having sugar in my coffee from time to time. I'm battling to get lower than 89kg at the moment, I've been on that weight for the last 10 days. I've gone back to my meal plan, and I've been at the gym religiously since I started - mostly ride class, and recently grid class. I might try green tea in between and see how that goes.

So this Carb free diet MUST work.

Every diet i have tried in the past 3+ years has worked...i have tried a few....tried 20 hour fasts...not eating before during and after rides...even tried drinking more coffee (which i am told dehydrates you) instead of eating...when i got hungry i drink coffee...cut back on bread...tried high protein low carb you name it...they all work to loose weight...if you stick to the plan 100 %.

i even went out and spent R900 seeing a highly recommended sports dietician...got a generic eating plan which is pretty much the same as weighless diet...and told to cut back on alcohol (which i dont drink) and junk food kfc ...macdonalds etc ...which i havent  eating in a long time...i suppose if you are starting out and nhave no idea of what is good and bad for you...or you are starting out and looking for a healthy eating plan...then i suppose you would need to spend the money.

People keep asking "so what is the secret to your weightloss" 

the answer is simple.

find a plan which you believe might help you (most important) if you dont believe in the plan someone tells you to do...you have already failed.

consistency...keep doing it every single day...during the week and not on weekends or not on sundays etc...you shouldnt need a cheat day if you are doing a plan you enjoy and believe is going to work.

one of the most common things i hear..."but i need to ride a bike like you do...but i just dont have the time...look at how much weight you have lost". firstly i have proven it over and over that no matter how much i ride the bike...the only way i start dropping the weight is when i follow my diet 100 %.

100% diet and a walk in the morning will make you loose weight...with regards to no time...get out of bed an hour earlier...the bottom line is people are lazy and expect a magic pill to fix everything...you get fat and lazy and as you get fatter so you get lazier...loosing weight is not cheap and it take serious commitment...you need to allow an extra half to an hour a day to prepare meals...no prepared meals...none of the right food in the fridge...you wasting your time...you might a swell sleep in and just get fatter...i am talking from my own experience.

I might try green tea in between and see how that goes.

Something i am gona add to my plan...green tea...my wife enjoys it...she makes it and keeps it in the fridge to drink cold.

Something someone once said and it stuck with me, most people slowly put on weight over a few years and then expect to lose it in weeks or months. It is like getting lost, if you walk for years in the wrong direction, expect to walk for years in the opposite direction to get back to where you were. You are in it for the long run so settle in and chip away at it for years, Rome was not built in a day.

Something someone once said and it stuck with me, most people slowly put on weight over a few years and then expect to lose it in weeks or months. It is like getting lost, if you walk for years in the wrong direction, expect to walk for years in the opposite direction to get back to where you were. You are in it for the long run so settle in and chip away at it for years, Rome was not built in a day.

I lost about 14kg in 2months. Felt great doing it, didn't deprive myself that much and was strong on the bike (for me) during that time. oh, and it's stayed off too - by sticking to a lifestyle, not a diet. so it's possible, but probably not with herbalife  :whistling:

Agreed, and I think metabolism plays a big part as well as we get older.

I could eat any fast food up until my late 20's / early 30's and not put on any weight. Nowadays, if I just look at a pie or a burger, I'll put on a kg.

I lost about 14kg in 2months. Felt great doing it, didn't deprive myself that much and was strong on the bike (for me) during that time. oh, and it's stayed off too - by sticking to a lifestyle, not a diet. so it's possible, but probably not with herbalife  :whistling:

For me, I have to stick to a diet / meal plan to lose weight, with the change of lifestyle - ie: exercising on a regular basis :ph34r:

Edit: I have heard that Herbalife works, but I won't try it either.

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

I have lost 32 kg in 14 months . I did not follow a certain planed diet but used a simple regime of cutting out or down on white foods , packaged food and less meat . In general its lesser portions and no snacking and if you have the urge to snack eat a fruit . Exercise is paramount , i started by training 10 km per day ( 50 per week ) and am now doing 800 plus km per month . My goal is 90 kg but im sure as i get fitter ill adjust that down as i can remember how easy it was when i was racing in the 80 and 90's and weighed 70kg . 

Edited by FirstV8

Herbalife had to pay $200 mil to settle/avoid a pyramid scheme case in 2016, anyone supporting them still deserves to lose their disappointment.

Maybe it only works with power balance bracelets... :ph34r: