Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

We have very hot conditions at the moment.  We do not have it as bad as guys north of us but we do have warning for heat wave conditions this week here.  Last week we started knocking on the 30 degree mark but with quite a bit humidy.  So I did sweat like crazy on my commutes.  I could see the impact of it on the scale this morning.  Dropped almost a kilo in weight last week.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a beautiful but SUPER cold morning.

Working from home today. Initially thought my wound was doing better but sadly not. I went for a ride on Saturday and bought a non-stick bandage to prevent it from rubbing against my bib. My wound got quite sore during the night. So, I will have to take another week off to wait until it is fully recovered because I need to keep the wound open to dry. In the meantime, I am frustrated because I am losing fitness and I am in bed most of the day. Oh well, hopefully, I can get the insurance covered in the week! 

Damage report does not look too bad: New shifters, handlebar tape and cable gear.

The handlebars survived the impact and would not need replacing.

I just hope my insurance with cover my cycling kit.

Hope you are sorted soon.

Anyone know what's happening with Mr Goosen on the challenge? He's K's haven't moved in about 2 months.

Also noticed that. 

It looks like he's still riding every day - just not commuting or not marking the rides as commutes.

In other news: the light is finally returning to Gauteng :clap:  This morning I left the clear glasses at home and took the sunglasses. It was still before sunrise when I left and will be dark before I get home, but most of the commute now is in daylight :D

Also noticed that. 

It looks like he's still riding every day - just not commuting or not marking the rides as commutes.

In other news: the light is finally returning to Gauteng :clap:  This morning I left the clear glasses at home and took the sunglasses. It was still before sunrise when I left and will be dark before I get home, but most of the commute now is in daylight :D

Yup, also just starting to get whiffs of Rosemary and Jasmine in the 'burbs. Yoh, that smell - LOVE IT!

Yup, also just starting to get whiffs of Rosemary and Jasmine in the 'burbs. Yoh, that smell - LOVE IT!

The smell of Jasmin : the promise of Spring. Got my first whiff on the afternoon commute.

Ladies and gents we got ourselves a new leader. Nice one Hairy!

... and just a few days later, yet another new leader. Congrats Bats.

Now to make the most of what is left of Summer and Autumn

Nice one Bats! 

Maybe you should take some more leave, so that you can enjoy that awesome weather  :ph34r: 

Now to make the most of what is left of Summer and Autumn

Till when can you comfortably ride before winter actually sets in?

Till when can you comfortably ride before winter actually sets in?

Comfortably?  Well that is relative hey :D.  I can manage up to -4 but that is not comfortable for me.  But will see what I can buy so that I can maybe improve on my winter clothes.

post-71-0-41898400-1533024837_thumb.jpg

Based on last year I should be able to ride till end of Oct.  Difficult to say what lies ahead.

We are lucky in the Cape that we can cycle all year round. Some uncomfortable days but mostly rideable.

What sort of buffer you looking for Bats?

post-3682-0-66303500-1533026346_thumb.jpg

We are lucky in the Cape that we can cycle all year round. Some uncomfortable days but mostly rideable.

What sort of buffer you looking for Bats?

I have not looked at the buffer as yet as I really took each day as it comes.

Basically by the time when I started commuting mid March things just turned into my favour with a hotter and dry spring compared to normal.  But then I set myself up to commute in rain and commuted more in rain than I used to.

By mid March you guys were 1500+ km ahead of me if I remember correctly so it took me 4,5 months to catch up.  So i will have to build up quite a buffer by end of October if I still want to be on the podium.  But if the icy conditions do not set in quickly then I am in with a chance.  Time will tell.  I will be buying better gloves and maybe an additional jacket.  If I can improve to managing up to about -8 -10 then I should be able to go till December but the moment you have ice on the roads then I am calling it a day.  The route I take can be very "lonesome" in winter and should you crash badly it could take hours before someone might find you there.  

Comfortably?  Well that is relative hey :D.  I can manage up to -4 but that is not comfortable for me.  But will see what I can buy so that I can maybe improve on my winter clothes.

attachicon.gifAnnual rides.JPG

Based on last year I should be able to ride till end of Oct.  Difficult to say what lies ahead.

"look after" yourself and stay off the bike anywhere below 5deg  :whistling:  :ph34r:

You okes all suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been on the bike since the day before my shoulder op on 12th April. I have been allowed to do some IDT for the last few weeks but due to having 7 week old twins in the house that doesn't happen much. Surgeon said nothing on the road before August and even then it's short rides so between keeping it short and being busy with twins I won't be commuting for a while. Going to try find a few min this weekend to go for a road ride. Hmm now to decide which bike to take, been missing them all.

You okes all suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been on the bike since the day before my shoulder op on 12th April. I have been allowed to do some IDT for the last few weeks but due to having 7 week old twins in the house that doesn't happen much. Surgeon said nothing on the road before August and even then it's short rides so between keeping it short and being busy with twins I won't be commuting for a while. Going to try find a few min this weekend to go for a road ride. Hmm now to decide which bike to take, been missing them all.

I fully understand you frustration.  When my first child was born (and not twins and I had no operations) my cycling when down the tube for a while.

Archived