What grease to use?

Demetri

Are there any types of grease recommended for use on a carbon frame, say for installing a headset? I don't want to go and use something that could cause damage if it is at all possible.

Are there any types of grease recommended for use on a carbon frame, say for installing a headset? I don't want to go and use something that could cause damage if it is at all possible.

No grease direct on the carbon frames.  You can use normal grease on the bearing cups that is metallic. Normal grease on the carbon frame will actually soften the carbon and damage the frame.

No grease direct on the carbon frames.  You can use normal grease on the bearing cups that is metallic. Normal grease on the carbon frame will actually soften the carbon and damage the frame.

Seems very counter-intuitive surely there should be some form of protection against water ingress?

Oh f@ck. So some spillage when installing suspension bearings, pivot shafts etc..?

Oh f@ck. So some spillage when installing suspension bearings, pivot shafts etc..?

Since this question was asked earlier I tried to find some more info on it and got very different opinions on the web so far.  Just recall some time ago one should not use grease on carbon frames.  Should you have a more educated answer to this then please enlighten us. 

Since this question was asked earlier I tried to find some more info on it and got very different opinions on the web so far.  Just recall some time ago one should not use grease on carbon frames.  Should you have a more educated answer to this then please enlighten us. 

That is the problem, everyone has a different opinion whether it is safe or not, it just seems logical to have greased headset bearings. I know park tool states on their polylube that it is carbon safe.

That is the problem, everyone has a different opinion whether it is safe or not, it just seems logical to have greased headset bearings. I know park tool states on their polylube that it is carbon safe.

Is it possible that it effects raw carbon, but not painted carbon? just a question. Again, I have no Idea, But I do know I have finishline grease all over the pivots, bearings and headset cups in my bike, so this is important to me. 

Is it possible that it effects raw carbon, but not painted carbon? just a question. Again, I have no Idea, But I do know I have finishline grease all over the pivots, bearings and headset cups in my bike, so this is important to me. 

It seems to me like the "don't use grease on carbon" comes from the question of grease on a seatpost to stop it from creaking. The grease then results in you overtightening the clamp which can cause harm to CF, instead assembly compound should be used. 

This by no means my conclusion to the question, just an observation.

HA HA Funny Comment.

Of course it goes on the inside. On the Cups Balls and Cones.

The slimy black/brown cheap stuff just does not last as long.

I'd rather pay 3 times the price for 1/5 the grease and get the good stuff.attachicon.gifgrasso.jpg

this stuff is worth its weight in gold

Google the properties of cv joint grease. Whats also nice is you can buy it in very small quantities.

It seems to me like the "don't use grease on carbon" comes from the question of grease on a seatpost to stop it from creaking. The grease then results in you overtightening the clamp which can cause harm to CF, instead assembly compound should be used. 

This by no means my conclusion to the question, just an observation.

Thanks for that. Lets leave that one open then. 

On the Assembly compound/copper slip topic. I need some. Is there something I can buy from a Midas/Autozone that will help here? I have a shim on my seatpost and it tends to slip a bit. Don't want to over tighten my seatcollar. 

On the Assembly compound/copper slip topic. I need some. Is there something I can buy from a Midas/Autozone that will help here? I have a shim on my seatpost and it tends to slip a bit. Don't want to over tighten my seatcollar.

I asked my LBS if they have some and they gave me an FSA sachet of the stuff. Should last a while as you don't really use a lot of it.

Assembly compound can be had at pretty much amy LBS in big (250ml) or small (sachets) quantities - they usually give out sachets for free. Copper slip I had to hunt for a bit - eventually got some at the 3rd auto shop I went to.

Copper slip you can buy at Apple Tool and Gas or other more commercial type hardware stores.

Last time I tried to get some assembly paste the shop only had the little FSA sachet it was free and I still have some left (The LBS told me that they don't stock pots).

Archived