Stung by a bee

nathrix

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to add my experience. No dramatic video though. 

Last summer I had three bee stings. I was 47 years old and had never had an allergy. When I'd been stung previously there would be a slight swelling and it would itch for a couple of days. I've known people with mozzie bites that were bigger than my bee stings.

The third sting was very different.

I was stung on my thigh through my bib shorts so it was quick and easy to remove the sting. I felt fine and carried on my ride for another 45 mins. Got home, had a bite to eat and hopped in the shower.

It was a beautiful day, I'd had a great ride and I'd already forgotten about the sting.

In the shower I suddenly had a feeling that something was very wrong. Got out and looked in the mirror. Pale skin, blue lips. Looked down at my thigh and saw that the sting now looked different. It had spread and had these bright red tentacles. I knew it must be an allergic reaction. I was alone at home and could feel I was going down. Stumbled through to the kitchen where I remembered we had some prednisone 

from the vet for the dogs grass allergy. Swallowed a handful and then it was lights out.

This all happened in less than a minute.

Woke up naked, cold and wet, thinking wtf! Got dressed and was debating with myself whether or not I should get this checked out... Probably sounds daft but I think a lot of us men are not too keen on visits to the doctor. Common sense prevailed and I drove through to the clinic, sheepishly explaining to the nurses what had happened. I was surprised how seriously they reacted even though I looked and felt better by then. 

In minutes they had me hooked up to the machines that go PING and were checking all my vitals with me protesting that this wall all probably quite unnecessary and a waste of their time. 

Then that *** feeling came back. It just feels like something really bad is about to happen. I heard a nurse say something about my armpits and when I looked I saw bright red hives around my chest and upper arms. Then it was lights out again. I came round quickly after a jab and was hooked up to an iv, After observation I was given an Epipen and sent home. Sorted, I thought. 

Fast forward a year and I'm sitting here with an Epipen in my pocket. This Thursday is my first appointment at UCT Allergy Clinic to start bee venom immunotherapy. I'm tired of the mental gymnastics of just accepting this allergy and waiting for it to happen again. Hopefully after this therapy the reaction will be less severe or buy me some more time to get help. 

I know a bad reaction is rare but next time you or anyone around you gets stung take it a bit more seriously.

When it hits the fan, it hits fast.

If you're riding, pop an antihistamine, let someone know what happened if you're alone and call it a day. 

A friend had a small accident the other day while out riding, and he got quite a nasty cut on his leg. Was bleeding badly, and we were stuck (close to our cars - but not his) with no way to patch him up. Decided there and then to put together a first aid kit for my car as we spend a lot of time outdoors. Does an epipen require a prescription to buy? Not a bad idea to include one in my kit, with some other suggestions from this thread. 

A friend had a small accident the other day while out riding, and he got quite a nasty cut on his leg. Was bleeding badly, and we were stuck (close to our cars - but not his) with no way to patch him up. Decided there and then to put together a first aid kit for my car as we spend a lot of time outdoors. Does an epipen require a prescription to buy? Not a bad idea to include one in my kit, with some other suggestions from this thread. 

First Aid kit should be close at hand... when I did the otter trail I slipped and cut my arm badly... had no kit with myself but luckily we had a Dr in the group who stitched my up! Not sure what I would have done otherwise!

Maybe hub experts can advise... whats the advantage of an expensive epipen over carrying a syringe and adrenaline ampule?

I commute with the latter - glad I'm not a pro and don't have to adhere to a no needle policy (if that still exists)!

Yep, you need a script. Epipen costs around R1000 and expires in a year. By the time the pharmacy gets their new stock you'll be lucky if it has eight months left before expiry. There's also a shortage of them at the moment. I would definitely go with the ampules for a first aid kit. They also only last a year but are really cheap. Make sure you get proper instructions on administration and dosage from a doctor.

Yep, you need a script. Epipen costs around R1000 and expires in a year. By the time the pharmacy gets their new stock you'll be lucky if it has eight months left before expiry. There's also a shortage of them at the moment. I would definitely go with the ampules for a first aid kit. They also only last a year but are really cheap. Make sure you get proper instructions on administration and dosage from a doctor.

Ok - so this excludes that option from a first aid kit. Scary. I guess being aware is also just as vital. I have a Salbutamol inhaler which I think I will carry with me.

Plus - I can use all the marginal gains I can get  :devil:

I commute with the latter - glad I'm not a pro and don't have to adhere to a no needle policy (if that still exists)!

it DOES, but I suspect that administering something like what you're describing isn't part of that limitation...

imagine this "yes, we can save your life with this injection, but no needles you know... sorry. pity you have to die" - doctor's liability insurance will be unimpressed 

First Aid kit should be close at hand... when I did the otter trail I slipped and cut my arm badly... had no kit with myself but luckily we had a Dr in the group who stitched my up! Not sure what I would have done otherwise!

Maybe hub experts can advise... whats the advantage of an expensive epipen over carrying a syringe and adrenaline ampule?

There is no advantage to having an epipen other than it is easier and quicker to use in an emergency.

And yes - a script is needed but your go will probably be happy to give you one for a first aid kit - just remember they expire and should be replaced regularly.

If you are happy to handle a syringe and ampules they are much cheaper but might be difficult to self administer in an emergency - they require some fine motor skills which have a tendency to disappear in emergencies.

So - my considered opinion is:

For emergency self administration - epipen.

For administration to others if you are comfortable with your ability to work fast under pressure - ampules are fine - just.make.sure you know which ampule has what in it and does what. Insulin does nothing for bee stings... I promise.

And the rub - where do you stop with a first aid kit? They get very big very quickly... Speedy evacuation to a proper medical facility is often better than trying to treat things on site - and delaying extraction.

I used to carry a 40kg kit in my car - don't do that anymore.

My GP was quite happy to go with the ampule rather than an Epipen and showed me how it is to be used. Big difference in cost as well.

The ampule, needle, syringe and some anti-histamine pills fit nicely into an empty hydration tube. I put the ampule in a small pill holder with cotton wool to prevent it from breaking.

Archived