Stung by a bee

nathrix

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though i'm not allergic to bee stings I have always kept some Allergex in my cycling tool kit along with some pain meds. As i am uninformed and one day might be able to help someone, would Allergex help at all in a situation like this or with milder cases? Obviously getting to a Dr is priority one but would the Allergex help buy some time at least?

Swiftly taken, Allergex can buy you a whole lot of time - as can a salbutamol inhaler..... this is all relative to some extent because it depends on the severity of the allergy - but if you have allergex and you are not sure if someone is allergic and they have been stung - go with it immediately and start getting help organised asap.

With an epipen just stick the needle in and press button - all done for you.

With a syringe typically about 1 cc for an adult over 40kg - usually the syringes one carries are matched to the dose required.

A small overdose is not anywhere near life threatening generally.

Ok, so at the sting site, or where?

Swiftly taken, Allergex can buy you a whole lot of time - as can a salbutamol inhaler..... this is all relative to some extent because it depends on the severity of the allergy - but if you have allergex and you are not sure if someone is allergic and they have been stung - go with it immediately and start getting help organised asap.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

hectic. Can only assume that due to riding at the time the blood flow through the body was higher therefore making the sting react differently ?

I'm not allergic, but got stung in the temple about a month before 947, it stung like hell as the sweat ran over it and was swollen (not hectic) for probably 10 days.

Ok, so at the sting site, or where?

Nope - intra muscular or subcutaneous) - so shoulder, thigh, buttock are the most common sites.

Thigh would be my first choice - lets the patient see it has happened and helps their heads calm down. You can jam the needle through thin clothing if needed.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Actually this was a serious comment - although Mr Froome's not allergic to bee stings as far as I know - they can be useful to help keep airways open if needed (OK - a trach tube would be better but I don't carry one of those around)

If you do get stung by an insect - then the early appication of an anthistamine cream often helps the pain/itch - phenergan cream, anthisan cream and the like all work well - although they are totally useless for anaphylactic reactions.

KAREN you legend

Glad you are okay.. scary watching the video.

This also reminds me to check the expiry date on my son's epipen and get a back-up one.... he normally carries his epipen with some antihistamines in a small container in the epipen pouch ..but it would be better to maybe keep an extra one in my car too (one can never be too careful.)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nope - intra muscular or subcutaneous) - so shoulder, thigh, buttock are the most common sites.

Thigh would be my first choice - lets the patient see it has happened and helps their heads calm down. You can jam the needle through thin clothing if needed.

Cool, thanks doc!

Yeah didn't think jabbing someone in the face with an epipen is such a good idea if they get stung on the nose.

Cool, thanks doc!

Yeah didn't think jabbing someone in the face with an epipen is such a good idea if they get stung on the nose.

Not a great idea - except for a comedy sketch.... :)

Sho, hectic stuff. Glad you are okay.

I was once stung by a bee in the knee while riding, was the most random moment ever. I think I flicked it up with my front tire and just felt pain and saw the bee in my knee.

v3zvnOS.jpg

Luckily (well, I think so) I am not allergic to bees.

Thank goodness there are still people like Karen out there. Kudos to her for helping out. Haha, love the ending.

There is allergic and then there is the situation that Natrix found himself in where you go into anaphylaxis due to hyper sensitivity.  The two must not be confused with each other as untreated anaphylactic shock is deadly.

Fortunately Epinephrine can reverse the condition and do so very quickly. but the shot must be given within minutes of being stung or you can/will die.

Since my first anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting I have gone into anaphylaxis once again but avoided the full horror on a number of occasions by giving myself a shot of adrenaline.    

attachicon.gif20180126_074650_resized.jpg

This is why I carry a saddlebag on my bike. Each bike has a syringe and two ampules permanently attached.

attachicon.gif20180126_081535_resized.jpg

I also have one in my shower bag, my desk, my car, my fridge, my wife's handbag, etc. so I don't always need to remember to grab an Epipen.

since that bad day with all the bees, I get extremely nervous when riding bush and dens forest type areas.  I struggle to breath, just thinking about the possibility of bees.  Since then I have some Celestamine tablets always with me.  I spoke to a doc about the epipen, but the exposure to heat, expiry dates, switches between bags and bikes etc, not sure if it is an option.  I know some guys often going for work in remote African sites, mostly carry adrenaline  shots.  Seems they are also way cheaper to maintain and have stock in every car and bike etc than an epipen.  If I don't go into the full anaphylaxis, but still react really badly, will this be an option for me?

Last year during winter/autumn, it was extremely dry in the north west, where I stay.  The bees where everywhere.  Making big nests in the roof, inside trees etc.  I was on a shooting training course in the veld, when suddenly I could hear the bees coming.  Looked up and saw a massive swarm of bees approaching in our direction.  I have never ran as fast as that day (trying to get to the bakkie)

Glad that to hear that you're okay and thanks to Karen for caring enough to stop and help a stranger.

This reminded me alot about my engineering studies. At the end of our first year we had a first aid course. Everytime the course presenter asked what is the first step, the reponse from the male students were "verwyder alle stywe klere"...

Archived