Absa Cape Epic 2018

Acerunner

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse the ignorance, but both the men and women GC as well as best African men’s team includes a member that didn’t actually prepare for the event.

Is this an indication of how prepared the professional MTB are in general or is this an anomaly or maybe even the norm?

Excuse the ignorance, but both the men and women GC as well as best African men’s team includes a member that didn’t actually prepare for the event.

Is this an indication of how prepared the professional MTB are in general or is this an anomaly or maybe even the norm?

wait what ?

wait what ?

My bad, only Langvad and the African jersey had late partner replacements, JK participated a splanned

My bad, only Langvad and the African jersey had late partner replacements, JK participated a splanned

Afaik, Kate actually knew quite well in advance she might be coming, so she trained for Epic.

Kate has known she'l be riding the epic for quite some time 

same for Jessop ....he was only planning to ride backup but stepped up big time 

So the drop off from those teams completing the Prologue to the final at Val de Vie (16%)

My opinion is that just looking at the drop rate on its own is not indication on how difficult or easy it was, I do think the weather played a big part this year, whereas if it was the same as last year on the difficult long stages you might have had larger drop off rates.  And I would like to believe some riders were better prepared this year compared to last year (but that is an untested totally out of the air assumption)

same for Jessop ....he was only planning to ride backup but stepped up big time

And he did it very well.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

So the drop off from those teams completing the Prologue to the final at Val de Vie (16%)

My opinion is that just looking at the drop rate on its own is not indication on how difficult or easy it was, I do think the weather played a big part this year, whereas if it was the same as last year on the difficult long stages you might have had larger drop off rates.  And I would like to believe some riders were better prepared this year compared to last year (but that is an untested totally out of the air assumption)

Regarding this debate about the Epic being easy/not hard 

I'll say that NO damn epic is easy 

but it's nearly impossible to gauge just how hard the epic might be 

Riders that have done every single epic will probably say 2008 and 2017 were the hardest epics 

but that's just me grabbing at imaginary straws 

Edited by BaGearA

think we are in agreement, even if you do exactly the same route year in and year out you won't be able to say the epic stayed the same level of difficulty.  The riding surface can change (after a fire), type and length of ascents, weather conditions all make a difference and then not even talking about the stuff around the race like better nutrition, recovery processes, massages, etc.   

The only people that will know are the guys and girls who rode the route and they will be in better position to say, taking into account the weather and fitness levels did they find the route easier, and maybe it was but from the side difficult to judge.  But it is still probably the premium stage race in the country and with the number of international riders will continue to grow every year I suspect. Not sure how many more riders they could accommodate per race. 

think we are in agreement, even if you do exactly the same route year in and year out you won't be able to say the epic stayed the same level of difficulty.  The riding surface can change (after a fire), type and length of ascents, weather conditions all make a difference and then not even talking about the stuff around the race like better nutrition, recovery processes, massages, etc.   

The only people that will know are the guys and girls who rode the route and they will be in better position to say, taking into account the weather and fitness levels did they find the route easier, and maybe it was but from the side difficult to judge.  But it is still probably the premium stage race in the country and with the number of international riders will continue to grow every year I suspect. Not sure how many more riders they could accommodate per race. 

one thing I think 95% of people overlook is the terrain itself , the few people i've talked to about riding the epic ( mostly south african pros) say that its the harsh surface that gets you and not the distance.

even in my lazy ass crappy physical state i'd be able to do that distance in a week on tar roads , on the surface in the cape ( or where the epic takes place ) i wouldn't nearly finish a single day.

and regarding the entries , I suspect that less and less corporate ballies that get entries through their companies will be riding in the coming years and more international riders and local guys will start filling up the race 

and the people at the back will be serious enthusiasts ....and if this indeed comes true , we should see alot less people stopping the race due to getting cutoff 

so basically I imagine A epic ( 1000 riders ) with around 600 riders ranging from pro to semi-pro and 400 amateurs , but i'd rather call them enthusiasts cause the idea is not barely making cutoff everyday but rather safely knowing you prepared in a manner that will ensue you finish everyday and enjoy it ....while still suffering cause come-on it's still the epic

but it's nearly impossible to gauge just how hard the epic might be 

Riders that have done every single epic will probably say 2008 and 2017 were the hardest epics 

but that's just me grabbing at imaginary straws 

I think someone must ask one of the Last Lions to rate the epics. Think they're the only ones to call on ease/difficulty.

I think someone must ask one of the Last Lions to rate the epics. Think they're the only ones to call on ease/difficulty.

Afaik Hanelle Steyn is the only one to have entered and finished every edition of the Epic. She would be the best person to ask really.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Hanelle only lady. There are 3 okes as well.

Cool. But your assertion that we should ask them is entirely correct. They would be far better placed to make the call on how hard or not the Epic is.

Cool. But your assertion that we should ask them is entirely correct. They would be far better placed to make the call on how hard or not the Epic is.

Just do it