Scratches on a bike/Looking after a bike

Longbarn Killer

I'm referring mostly to road bikes here. although to a certain extent the principles can apply to MTBs

Am I the only person who goes out of my way to ensure my bike is well looked after and scratch free.

If I look at some of the bikes advertised in the classifieds I wonder if they have been dragged behind a car. Almost every advert I see comes with a comment along the lines of "In good condition but has the usual scratches"

Is it usual to have scratches on a bike? 

My bike is a 2008 model and it looks like it has just come off the showroom floor. I make sure it doesn't get propped up against brick walls, nothing lies against it and I never lie it down on concrete or tar. I have a quality bike rack to transport it.

What does the general Hub population think? Do you guys worry about the bike's appearance or is it a tool that is there to do a job irrespective of how it looks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a scale where 1 is don't give a fsck and 10 is anal, I'm a 6.

I care about my bike, but more on a mechanical level than cosmetics.

I'm referring mostly to road bikes here. although to a certain extent the principles can apply to MTBs

Am I the only person who goes out of my way to ensure my bike is well looked after and scratch free.

If I look at some of the bikes advertised in the classifieds I wonder if they have been dragged behind a car. Almost every advert I see comes with a comment along the lines of "In good condition but has the usual scratches"

Is it usual to have scratches on a bike? 

My bike is a 2008 model and it looks like it has just come off the showroom floor. I make sure it doesn't get propped up against brick walls, nothing lies against it and I never lie it down on concrete or tar. I have a quality bike rack to transport it.

What does the general Hub population think? Do you guys worry about the bike's appearance or is it a tool that is there to do a job irrespective of how it looks.

Bikes have become to expensive to see it only as a tool.I go as far as throwing a blanket over them when they not in use.

My road bike is a year old and is immaculate.

My mountain bike is two years old and bears the scars of innumerable pedal strikes, several rocky falls, a chaffing  from the thule bike rack, a gouge in the handlebar from god knows what and a miscellany of nicks and scratches that come from throwing it down mountain trails.

On half doesyn's scale I'm probably also a 6.

My bikes condition is important and I do my best to keep it 100%, but I don't lose sleep over it. (any more)

Ride it and enjoy it.!

I have a RC7000 roadbike that is in pristine condition. With that being said, it has not been ridden for about 5 years. But my Mountain bikes on the other hand, you just can't help the odd rock or scratch from a branch when riding.

I found that transport is the #1 culprit in bike scratches 

My MTB is a tool I use for exercise and enjoyment. If it is no longer functional it will lose it's purpose. Therefore I look after it mechanically, but if you are going to cry everytime you hit a rock, miss the trail and ride through a bush, or a rock shoots up and hits the frame, you once again lose the enjoyment factor.

So mechanical wise my bike is a 9/10 (the brakes needs a bleed);

Aesthetically: around a 5 or 6 for my DS due to marks accumulated with age and 8 for my SS (it's still fairly new :thumbup:) but took a big crash on Sunday in a rocky section.

IMHO, I do get upset when my bikes get scratched, do I loose my mind over it? NO, at the end of the day the value of the bike on the 2nd hand market is more based on the age of the bike as well as drivetrain condition, obviously cosmetics does come into it, however in my view a 2008 bike in mint scratch free condition isn't worth as much as a 2017 bike with "the usual scratches".

Why? - because the technology of a 2008 bike is so far off a 2017 bike its scary....

I view my bike, like my car, as use items and not as appreciating assets. I try not to stuff them up, but use them for the purpose I acquired them. MTB will get scratches from strikes and mishaps, car will be driven on the farm and get a few takkrappe. I'm probably a 4 on Halfdoesyn's scale for the bike and 3 for the car. (Bike is insured for more than the car :ph34r: .)

Clean and lubed...That’s it. My mtb is full of scratches due to a lack of talent, and an overzealous nature at times...my mind is incapapable of worrying about scratches because it knows how stupid I am...lol

It isn't about how old a bike is, it's about how much it gets ridden.

You might have a 2008 model bike in pristine condition but maybe you only ride once or twice a week. Somebody with a 2017 bike might ride 4 to 5 times a week and that bike might have a few scratches, etc.

I agree that bike transportation is the number 1 cause of scratches.

Every now and then a stone shoots onto the frame if one is riding in a bunch and that can damage the paint.

Road Bike - Yes, entire Bike

Mountain Bike - Not so much, Mechanical Components only

Road bikes are easier to keep your hand on as the riding area/conditions are not harsh at all compared to Mountain Bike terrain.

Constant rock knocks against the frame are inevitable, pedal strikes and falls are a must on a MTB... If you don't fall, you not riding it properly  ph34r.png

I look very good after my bike.

Would not mind a scratch from a fall - part of the story of the bike.

BUT accidental scratches from laying on concrete, bike rack etc. is something I despise.

I have a custom built bike rack that is so easy to use that our girls can put the bikes on the bakkie in a jiffy - and it WILL not damage any bike in any way. Thanks hubby!

Look after your bike. 

I cannot understand how it can be neglected because you know if there are any problems, scratches, rusting, brakes not working properly and then asking how to bleed brakes on the Hub, bent parts, spokes and wheels corroded, etc. All this can be avoided and large sums of cash saved. 

I have seen bikes lying on the RD, propped up against the frame against the wall, saddles perished from leaning against something.

Cycling is expensive so look after your assets.

Out of 10, I reckon I must be a 9.  (maybe I have too much time on my hands)

It isn't about how old a bike is, it's about how much it gets ridden.

You might have a 2008 model bike in pristine condition but maybe you only ride once or twice a week. Somebody with a 2017 bike might ride 4 to 5 times a week and that bike might have a few scratches, etc.

I agree that bike transportation is the number 1 cause of scratches.

Every now and then a stone shoots onto the frame if one is riding in a bunch and that can damage the paint.

Best purchase one can make is a proper bike rack. (Everything other than Thule is ***)

Archived