[Event] Race To The Sun

nathrix

Could not find any mention of it when I did a search on the Hub....

https://www.jumpertrax.com/events/2041-r2sun2018

Organiser: Advendurance

Date:   Sat 10 Mar 2018, Sat 4 August 2018, 06:00

Province:   Gauteng

Type:   Mountain Bike/Gravel Bike

The Advendurance Race to the Sun is a 100 mile (162km) race from Hartebeespoort Dam to Sun City Valley of the waves.

The following exciting entries are available:

• Solo
  • Team of Two complete distance
  • Team of 4 complete distance
  • Team of Two Relay (4 stages)
  • Team of Four (4 stages) Each stage is approx 40km

We allow Gravel road bikes into this event, modifications to your Mountain Bikes are welcome as long as they are safe for yourself and fellow competitors. (Rigid forks and hard tails will be fine, little to no corrugation roads)

GPS device suggested as you need to be able to navigate with the route maps supplied. Basic markings will be in place with route marshals along the way at any danger areas.

Prizes for the best dressed teams.

Each rider will receive a goody bag to the value of R500!

Each waterpoint will be an oasis with cold drinks, ice, and pleanty of food. Supporters allowed to feed the riders :-)

Cut off at all tech stations at 15km/h (very manageable) 

Route description:

Distance:162km

Elevation gain: 940m

Elevation loss: 1090m

At the Hartebeespoort high school: The race have a neutral start, going through town, and through the tunnel to have the official start on the Hartebeespoort Dam wall.

From here it is race on, starting with a Tar road section soon turning off onto the Canal dirt roads heading north towards Brits. The race will pass through the outskirts tar roads of Brits at approx 30km joining on to some cool train gravel roads. From here riders will make their way along some more Canal dirt roads towards the first Water point/ Spectator point and Relay point at the NG church Dalunie at 45km.

Some amazing Canal roads from here will lead riders towards Beestekraal, with a long tar road section in between, the next waterpoint/spectator point/ relay point will be at the NG church Beestekraal at 85km into the race.

From Beestekraal riders will continue their way along the Crocodile river past the Vaalkop Dam nature reserve, with a fast tar road segment of about 13kms, keep in mind that the hardest part of the route is from the end of the tar road crossing the river with a 20km gravel road drag towards Bojateng.

After Bojateng will be the last spectator & Relay point in the middle of nowhere next to a tar road 120km into the race :-)

From here is is all vasbyt, a long tar road section into an old forgotten industrial area towards Mogwase, riders will see the crater of Pilansberg, and reach the last railway section with 30km’s to go, this will lead riders onto the last long tar road leading to Sun City.

Just before Sun City riders will turn off into the nature reserve, past the traditional basotho village and onto the Gary player golf course for a royal finish at the valley of the waves! Live music and cold beers will await!

Start Date: Saturday 10 March 2018

End Date: Saturday 10 March 2018

Max entries:

1000 solo

1000 Members in die two man team (500 teams)

1000 Members in 4 man team relay (250 teams)

1000 Members in two man team relay (500 teams)

http://entry.jumpertrax.com/uploads/events/2041/thumb.jpg

Classes

Class Distance Price Solo Price per Team Member Solo 162km 162 km R900 - Team of Two Full Distance 162km 162 km - R900 Team of Four Full Distance 162km 162 km - R900 Team of Two Relay 162km (Each stage is approx 40km) 162 km - R800 Team of Four 4 stages (Each stage is approx 40km) 162 km - R800

post-4329-0-55990100-1516786885_thumb.png

post-4329-0-56382100-1517467748_thumb.png

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks pretty cool - logistical challenge is getting back to the car!

It looks like there will be a shuttle service

Looks quite cool, despite the sketchy website... ;)

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I removed all those sketchy links :thumbup:

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

This looks pretty cool - logistical challenge is getting back to the car!

If you maybe enter as a 2-rider relay team - both go to the start, one rider starts the first 80km and the other takes the car to the halfway mark.  There they swop over and the first rider meets the second rider at the finish with the car again.  Not a lot of details on how the relay works.

Does that actually mean anything to us normal people anymore?

No it does not, never did.

I'm happy to see r2sun2018 is not a CSA sanctioned event, one of the reasons i decided to enter.

Event Name: Race To The Sun
When: 4 August 2018
Where: Hartebeespoort Dam High School, North West
Category: MTB

The Advendurance Race to the Sun is a 100 mile (162km) race from Hartebeespoort Dam to Sun City Valley of the waves.

The following exciting entries are available:

· Solo

· Team of Two complete distance

· Team of 4 complete distance

· Team of Two Relay (2 stages) Each stage is approx 80km

· Team of Four (2 stages) Each stage is approx 80km

We allow Gravel road bikes into this event, modifications to your Mountain Bikes are welcome as long as they are safe for yourself and fellow competitors. (Rigid forks and hard tails will be fine, little to no corrugation roads)

GPS device compulsary as you need to be able to navigate with the route GPS maps supplied. Basic markings will be in place with route marshals along the way at any danger areas.

Prizes for the best dressed teams.

Each rider will receive a goody bag to the value of R500!

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Race to the Sun will have a neutral start at Hartebeespoort dam and finish at Sun City Valley of Waves. The total route distance is 162-kilometres with gravel-, farm- and dirt roads along the canals of Brits.

http://racetothesun.co.za/

http://racetothesun.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/RTTS_Preliminary-Route-Profile-2018-1024x495.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™