Cycling in the Rain! do you do it?

Tabula Rasa

Lol [emoji23]

When this happens to me I take the inner out, rinse them and shoes under running water, shake off excess water and then stuff newspaper in them. Then leave in a dry spot (not to hot) to let them dry on their own. Replace newspaper after a few hrs. The newspaper really helps to dry the shoes quicker.

Works well for cycling shoes as well

I find rice works extremely well. I’ve washed my MTB shoes after a day full of mud and rain (Sabie), filled with rice and they were bone dry the following morning. Problem is that a size 10 uses a lot of rice, and it starts miffing (the rice) after a few days. Rinse the rice in salt water, spread out to dry and it’s good to use a few more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never minded riding in the rain until 2 weeks ago.

Easing down a flat, slight touch of oil on the road and back wheel disappeared under me. Slid for about 10 metres. Kit torn and lekker roasties.

Hip and shoulder still sore from the fall. Lucky, bike not damaged at all.

Won't do it again!

I was thinking about this topic as I squeezed in a quick 45 minute ride on the Mtb this afternoon. It started in the rain, luckily that stopped, although only because it started snowing, snow stopped after a few minutes so I was able to finish in the relative dry. Have a look at the temp on my Garmin in the pic

0b5cc8efa54923081eb4c53fdc92a2f7.jpg

Chilled ride [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Easing down a flat, slight touch of oil on the road and back wheel disappeared under me. Slid for about 10 metres. Kit torn and lekker roasties.

Won't do it again!

Ouch..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Won't do it again!

Don't let that stop you. Chalk it off as a learning experience. 

Just lower the pressure the in tyre a touch (I run 25C at 90 psi front and 95psi back and weigh 83kg)

Look out for rainbows, metal grids and road paint, and you should be OK. 

Just lower the pressure the in tyre a touch (I run 25C at 90 psi front and 95psi back and weigh 83kg)

Metal grids hidden under a thin layer of mud or leaves .... naughty buggers those.  Caused one whipeout for me lats year.  But as you say you learn quickly.

The bold bit has caught me out.

I was a lightie, delivering news papers. It rained that afternoon so I waited for the rain to stop,

Then went out and did my deliveries, one house left then the sprint home.

I roll up to an intersection, lean over for the left turn and the front wheel washes out on the STOP painted on the road.

Lean on the right hand to get up and its painful, use the left hand and get up.

Roastie on the knee and a bit of cosmetic damage to the bike, so I walk to the next delivery, pushing the bike,

Reach into my bag with my right hand to get the paper and it really painful. That when I notice 2 pieces of bone pushing up against the skin.

Broke the wrist in 2 places.

Since then I'm rather careful in wet conditions.

water + metal + tyres = trouble

cracked a rear rim, back in the day when we could cycle through CT harbour, wheel slid into the rail way line and got bucked like a bronco ... the rim did not survive, thankfully all I got for this was a sore back for a week or so without a crash

Won't do it again!

100% Mate!

Will give it another go....

Here in Europe we have this other little challange with rain in winter.  It is called Blitz ice.  This happens when the ground temps are very cold and then there is some rain and the water freezes immediately on the ground.  The added bonus is that the frozen water is not white like frost.  It is almost colourless.  Cycling over blitz ice is not advised.  Actually walking on it is also not a good idea.

Here is a video of last year in Hamburg.  Last year central and northern Germany had it several times.  This year was not so bad.

Here in Europe we have this other little challange with rain in winter.  It is called Blitz ice.  This happens when the ground temps are very cold and then there is some rain and the water freezes immediately on the ground.  The added bonus is that the frozen water is not white like frost.  It is almost colourless.  Cycling over blitz ice is not advised.  Actually walking on it is also not a good idea.

Here is a video of last year in Hamburg.  Last year central and northern Germany had it several times.  This year was not so bad.

And you don't want to walk with your hands in your pockets.

Beautiful weather today , rain caught me halfway through my ride so i had to get my ass into gear. I had a near miss with a hidden monster pothole that wasn't on the road yesterday , it did slice the sidewall of my back tire but luckily it did not puncture it. All in all a very enjoyable ride ,the wet morning air was refreshing.

Here in Europe we have this other little challange with rain in winter. It is called Blitz ice. This happens when the ground temps are very cold and then there is some rain and the water freezes immediately on the ground. The added bonus is that the frozen water is not white like frost. It is almost colourless. Cycling over blitz ice is not advised. Actually walking on it is also not a good idea.

Here is a video of last year in Hamburg. Last year central and northern Germany had it several times. This year was not so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ8EJN1tkcc

The path I walk on every morning going to the station has this short 20m slightly downhill section and no street light.... well let’s say it always suffers this “blitzeis” phenomena in winter. The amount of times I’ve nearly seen my Arli there....

Living in Cape Town we can afford to be "fair weather cyclist!" That's is if you call a gale force SE fair weather. No point in training in the rain the risk of getting sick are higher along with not been seen by motorist - too risky. Each day we cycle on the roads in RSA we put out lives at danger no need to add bad visibility to that to up that anti.

I tend to race way better that my fellow cyclist in the rain - maybe its the extra padding! The one advantage of not been skinny!

Living in Cape Town we can afford to be "fair weather cyclist!" That's is if you call a gale force SE fair weather. No point in training in the rain the risk of getting sick are higher along with not been seen by motorist - too risky. Each day we cycle on the roads in RSA we put out lives at danger no need to add bad visibility to that to up that anti.

I tend to race way better that my fellow cyclist in the rain - maybe its the extra padding! The one advantage of not been skinny!

recon a "relaxed" rider will be quicker in the rain as they are not tense and flow better with the bike on a slippery road, or perceived to be slippery road.