Cycling in the Rain! do you do it?

Tabula Rasa

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard guys cycle in the rain.

Smart guys stay at home...and prevent damage and injury.

And unlucky guys cycle to work in the morning, watch the rain fall all day then get to cycle home in the mud! 

I try an avoid starting a ride in the rain but where I live pretty much each ride has some rain in it. Made a conscious decision that I will not let rain deter me. Damage to bike is avoidable with regular maintenance. Rather ride than not ride.

If I'm out riding and it rains, I'm happy to keep riding. If I haven't left the house yet and it starts to rain, I am unlikely to go out in it just for fun.

Here is Spain we get enough sunny days that there's no need to ride on the odd rainy day (we've had 10 days of rain here since May last year). I haven't had to get to work by bike when it was raining for many many years I'm happy to say.

Rode in a massive thunderstorm on Monday...loved it!!

I won't deliberately go and ride my bike in a sloshy mud pit, what's the point.

We have enough good weather in SA to choose when to ride....

Jip.

Ample nice weather, so we dont "have to" ride in the mud.

Last year we did a weekend trip to do a ride in Oudtshoorn .... HEAVY rains over night !!

post-110956-0-37137900-1518749242_thumb.jpg

It was a slippery ride !  Enjoyed it, came back and washed and lubed the bike.  As somebody said - the bike does not turn to mush ....  BUT, it takes "a while" to properly clean and lube the bike ... so as long as we have so much nice weather I prefer to avoid the excess muddy rides ....

Maritz LOVES the mud .... did this a couple of times -

post-110956-0-73595800-1518745809_thumb.jpg

BUT, he was taught from the start .... when we get home he wipes done his bike .... QUICKLY learnt how much work it is to properly clean the mud off his bike.  HIS choice if he rides through or around the mud .... on the od occasion he still enjoys the mud, mostly he now rides around it.  So even a 6 year grasp the options and the consequences ....

Like many others I'm also a 'don't go out and start a ride in the rain' type (too old for that stupidity and I have the time to normally wait it out and go later) but if it rains while I'm out I don't turn back or go short.

If there has been particularly hectic rain before I ride then I'll take my SSR ... And I don't go out looking for the muddiest routes!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

And unlucky guys cycle to work in the morning, watch the rain fall all day then get to cycle home in the mud! 

Tell me about it. Not mud, but hail on Tuesday coming home.

I have ridden in the rain a couple of times and I enjoy it.  But If the wind blows while it's raining, it can be a bit painful.  

I will never start riding when it rains, it always starts to rain while I am riding.

Interesting reading this, and I get it, I have just earlier posted a bitching session about the cost of replacing jockey wheels, but I must say, I get decent time and distance on drivetrain, but I do clean after every ride, well almost.

But what I want to say about rain is this, IT MAKES THE FLAURA AND SOIL, SMELL FANTASTIC (ESPECIALLY FYNBOS AND PINES), and I love biking when it is cool and smelling great. That is the privilege of mountain biking, sucking in clean great air when you are tired.

So I feel one must actually go cycle when it rains.

Rode the spruit yesterday afternoon after all the rain in the morning, what a jol !

Just wet enough in patches too have some fun..............

Jip.

Ample nice weather, so we dont "have to" ride in the mud.

Last year we did a weekend trip to do a ride in Oudtshoorn .... HEAVY rains over night !!

attachicon.gifOstrich Kick-29 (Custom).jpg

It was a slippery ride !  Enjoyed it, came back and washed and lubed the bike.  As somebody said - the bike does not turn to mush ....  BUT, it takes "a while" to properly clean and lube the bike ... so as long as we have so much nice weather I prefer to avoid the excess muddy rides ....

Maritz LOVES the mud .... did this a couple of times -

attachicon.gifMeerendal-42 (Large).jpg

BUT, he was taught from the start .... when we get home he wipes done his bike .... QUICKLY learnt how much work it is to properly clean the mud off his bike.  HIS choice if he rides through or around the mud .... on the od occasion he still enjoys the mud, mostly he now rides around it.  So even a 6 year grasp the options and the consequences ....

Thanks for all the parenting info, some of us have been there and done that already..............

If you don't ride in the rain / cold you won't have a chance to top the Bikehub Commuters Challenge leader board come 31/12/18!!!

So just do it... we're waterproof you know  :whistling:

Archived