[Event] STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

Anna_Afrika

Entered. Hoping to stay dry during the dam crossing this time!

@ Ferro, did you fall down the Bridge?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any other way around the bridge if one does not want to cross it? lol - First time for this event. :)

Is there any other way around the bridge if one does not want to cross it? lol - First time for this event. :)

Yeah now I`m scared of this bridge, I also want a chicken run. Please don`t bother with the water bridge, it must be a lot of effort to get it set up.

Hi guys :-)

You can cycle round to dam, this has always been an option  :thumbup:  but it really is easy to ride across the floating bridge if your up for it :-) There is a small drop down onto it, use this to get the momentum started, just keep looking in front of you and Not at your front wheel  :thumbup: Then just keep the pedals moving at a reasonable cadence. Hope you give it a try  :thumbup:

Ah what is the hub without a good proper moan

Max Headroom I hope you feel better now  :thumbup:

Seriously can't see the problem with floating bridges - A) They are fun & B) They are almost always optional. If you don't like them just skip them.

I have ridden over these before with no problem, but the water cleans the lube off and gets into the rear hub, or someone might fall in front of you and then my my gadgets are stuffed. I will ride if its at the end and nobody in front of me, else I will run like a chicken.

I have ridden over these before with no problem, but the water cleans the lube off and gets into the rear hub, or someone might fall in front of you and then my my gadgets are stuffed. I will ride if its at the end and nobody in front of me, else I will run like a chicken.

Think this is the best advice if it looks congested I will take the chicken run, and make sure my phone is a waterproof poach

These bridges are easy, never had issues with this one or back when Backsberg still had one. Might downgrade from the long route depending on how the bronchitis I have been booked off with go. Doc's note says I'm fit to resume duties on the 13th... so just in time then  :thumbup:

About water getting into your bike, I recall I had this debate with someone else about the Agulhas MTB ride and the beach section. It's a bike designed for going offroad, where it is dirty and wet, it's part of the territory. I ride my bike on the beach, sometimes in the water, no problem. If the headset creaks, then open it and clean it, same goes for the other areas. I'd rather have more fun and regular maintenance than no fun and slightly less regular maintenance. 

My bike is 250km away from 20,000km. 

It's a bike designed for going offroad, where it is dirty and wet, it's part of the territory.

I'd rather have more fun and regular maintenance than no fun and slightly less regular maintenance. 

Agree, if you are more worried about your gadgets getting stuffed by water and mud, stick to road racing and gravel grinding

It's sorta why I have a reputation for riding tyres until they are well and truly bugger. Same goes for my drivetrain, I ride it until the chain breaks. Keep it cheap and affordable.

The other thing that also helps me give less varks is I keep it simple. Hard tail, cheap cycle computer, flat pedals, deore level components... you get the picture.

Keep it simple, stupid  ^_^

Agree, if you are more worried about your gadgets getting stuffed by water and mud, stick to road racing and gravel grinding

More worried than what? Than it not getting stuffed? Its like 10k to replace maybe that is pocket change for you.

Hey Steno, yes, I did. Combination of lack of skill, lack of speed, watching the front wheel dip under the surface and not looking further ahead then, splash! Had a good laugh about it over a couple of beers afterwards. It is right at the end of the ride and the water was rather refreshing.

I did however pass my phone to my buddies who were not attempting the crossing.

It was fun attempting it. My bike didn't melt. [EDIT: Nothing was damaged and the bike was just serviced as per normal thereafter, so no abnormal problems arose.]

If you don't want to ride over it then don't. No need to stress about it. The day is about so much more than just the last couple of metres over the crossing (or not over it). Its going to be a great day out so just enjoy it any way you like.

Edited by Ferro

More worried than what? Than it not getting stuffed? Its like 10k to replace maybe that is pocket change for you.

For me your cycling equipment taking a beating from water, mud, dust is part & parcel of mtb events. Using equipment that can handle it & protecting equipment that can't (like cell phones) should be part of your preparation.

So if you have a 10k gadget that will break when it gets wet either don't use it or enter road races. IMO if someone is ranting at event organisers for having floating bridges they are doing mtb'ing wrong.

For me your cycling equipment taking a beating from water, mud, dust is part & parcel of mtb events. Using equipment that can handle it & protecting equipment that can't (like cell phones) should be part of your preparation.

So if you have a 10k gadget that will break when it gets wet either don't use it or enter road races. IMO if someone is ranting at event organisers for having floating bridges they are doing mtb'ing wrong.

Nobody is ranting, suggesting that I should do road cycling or that I`m doing mtb`ing wrong, that`s just.....meh, lame attempted insult. I`ll use the gadgets I want to use and ride the chicken run, no problem.

Nobody is ranting, suggesting that I should do road cycling or that I`m doing mtb`ing wrong, that`s just.....meh, lame attempted insult. I`ll use the gadgets I want to use and ride the chicken run, no problem.

Intention is not to insult you so don't take my posts personally. I genuinely do feel that if "fear of gadgets getting wet" get in the way of someone attempting to ride a floating bridge they are doing mtb'ing wrong, this is just my opinion so feel free to disagree.