Can middle age guys jump?

Delarey

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is some proper riding! Speed is definitely your friend if you know what you are doing. I see Nino weighs 68kg. Would love to lend him the 2 bags of cement I am carrying down G Spot....

I am sure he would still be bloody fast, but would love to see how his technique would change. Watching that ride is amazing, but very little of what he does there is within the realm of possibility for me.

That is some proper riding! Speed is definitely your friend if you know what you are doing. I see Nino weighs 68kg. Would love to lend him the 2 bags of cement I am carrying down G Spot....

Forgetting he is a multiple world champ

In his defence he still has seat up and only 100mm travel fork

Forgetting he is a multiple world champ

In his defence he still has seat up and only 100mm travel fork

Hitting all those big jumps on a XC bike is bloody impressive!

That kind of trail and jumps don't  require much suspension - if you could get enough speed, you could ride them on a rigid BMX bike. Its all about technique and making the landings.

Nino's office is his bike . If we could spend the amount of time riding and being coached like him, we'd also all ride like stars. 

That kind of trail and jumps don't  require much suspension - if you could get enough speed, you could ride them on a rigid BMX bike. Its all about technique and making the landings.

Nino's office is his bike . If we could spend the amount of time riding and being coached like him, we'd also all ride like stars. 

nope not even that will work for me... Nino is also special, that's why he rides around with rainbow stripes

nope not even that will work for me... Nino is also special, that's why he rides around with rainbow stripes

I am sure his competitors would agree with you - he was unbeatable last year. I am referring more to the technique aspect. Imagine if you had had the number of bike hours and hours of coaching and training he had... He'd still beat you on an XC race but you'd probably not be too far behind him on G Spot. We compare ourselves to that video and feel like we're rubbish. In fact we ride damn well considering we don't do it for a living...

I am sure his competitors would agree with you - he was unbeatable last year. I am referring more to the technique aspect. Imagine if you had had the number of bike hours and hours of coaching and training he had... He'd still beat you on an XC race but you'd probably not be too far behind him on G Spot. We compare ourselves to that video and feel like we're rubbish. In fact we ride damn well considering we don't do it for a living...

thanks old man, :blush:

Def, I rode a bike and had way more skill when I was alot younger and had time to ride every single day.

There's a video with Sagan back when he was with Dale. Him and some other oke shredding on lefty hardtails in lycra. Hands down one of my favourite videos to date. Cool as ice. Any bicycle can be jumped. You just need to make sure you're rainbow material. Nino doesn't shy away from some extra squish either. I'm pretty sure he has a Genius in his quiver. I recall him entering an EWS event or 2 as well.

Yeah having done myself a spinal and hip fracture in my younger years I'm a tentative jumper now at 41 yrs of age. I still enjoy a little air on the small XC jumps, but I still tend to get that front wheel coming down too darn soon, and thats exactly what resulted in my big crash.

I would like to get a bit better at it, but I suppose I'll have to make the time and get some coaching. Sigh.

I'm very much in this camp.

All happy until take off at which point some deep internal survival instinct kicks in and screams "Stop this stupidity and get this bloody thing back on the ground. Now!"

So small jumps and drops for me, and I'm happy with that given my past history of expert level skill at self inflicted sports injuries.

Archived