Can middle age guys jump?

Delarey

My life and gap cover policies both exclude timed events. Must go read the fine print for Discovery though.

hmmmmmmm.... which co? Just double checked Disco, and no exclusion on timed events. Just illegal acts, participation in hazardous pursuits that weren't disclosed and willfully self inflicted stuff. 

Likewise Gap cover... they wouldn't know whether it was a timed event or not. Med aid would cover you, regardless. They can't exclude you based on occupation / hazardous pursuits. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmmmmm.... which co? Just double checked Disco, and no exclusion on timed events. Just illegal acts, participation in hazardous pursuits that weren't disclosed and willfully self inflicted stuff. 

Likewise Gap cover... they wouldn't know whether it was a timed event or not. Med aid would cover you, regardless. They can't exclude you based on occupation / hazardous pursuits. 

Gap policy is underwritten by Constantia. Timed events exclusion is only specific to the casualty/emergency room benefit so doesn't involve the med aid. Life is nedbank insurance, although I have mtb listed during underwriting anyway.

Gap policy is underwritten by Constantia. Timed events exclusion is only specific to the casualty/emergency room benefit so doesn't involve the med aid. Life is nedbank insurance, although I have mtb listed during underwriting anyway.

Ah, context. Yes, though the casualty benefit is for sports-related injuries as well, oddly enough. The hopsitalisation side of Constantia's gap cover doesn't care about timed events. Just that there's a gap in cover, it wasn't self inflicted and wasn't received during an illegal act / war / protest that you took part in, or a cosmetic procedure. 

Ah. Nedbank. Say no more. Thin on premium, thin on benefits. Slightly better than outsurance, but not by much. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Hi Duane

Thanks for the info.

Is there a set route from Eden to Mont Marie?

I see a few options on Google earth. I will most definitely be going this weekend, Cant wait.

JA. If you ride up Eden to where the old clubhouse is. To your right you'll see a jeeptrack. That jeeptrack takes you to Mont Marie. You ride along it for a bit and then you'll see what looks like a dam wall to your left. You go left there and ride up for about 100m. Then the jeeptrack goes right. It's *** steep but only about 100m. The single track goes to the right. That is flat and contours for about 700m. Then the fun starts. You'll ride a bunch of flowy stuff and pop out at a cement road. Turn left up the road and ride the fun stuff down to the restaurant.

timed events ....

would be interesting if life cover companies looked into STRAVA ....

timed events ....

would be interesting if life cover companies looked into STRAVA ....

Ja, but as said before, none of the big guys (Sanlam / Liberty / OM / Disco / PPS / Momentum) care about "timed events" 

Its the smaller direct to market and credit life agreements which are tricky. But - if you're wary, look into your terms and conditions or the actual life policy guide & specific exclusions pertaining to the policy (should be on the quote or policy schedule)

I'd steer VERY clear of companies who place exclusions on "timed events"

Ironic that a thread about "middle aged guys jumping" ends up with discussion about life insurance. :D

Not ironic at all, the link between jumping and life insurance become more important the bigger the jump and the older the jumper.​ Even if you are just scaring yourself to death!  ;)

Went out yesterday determined to keep my weight back on some XC type jumps to keep the front wheel up and it actually went worse, *sigh*

Sometimes trying harder makes things worse. Ha ha ha ha

Went out yesterday determined to keep my weight back on some XC type jumps to keep the front wheel up and it actually went worse, *sigh*

Sometimes trying harder makes things worse. Ha ha ha ha

I actually find that the XC jumps can be deceivingly difficult. You tend to attempt them last minute and their short run-up often mean that your timing need to be spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c41c929ce9155c55f4ddfda944543dc4.jpg This jump was added to Mont Marie around Oct last year. Was even dreaming about it for a while. Those rocks in the middle just messed with my confidence. Man was I proud the first time I cleared it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was out there this morning

Sorry for the sun in the camera, I used my phone, rested it up against a log. 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I'm 51 and every ride involves as many wheels off the ground events as possible, be they jumps or drop offs.

I second what Duane and PhilV have said. Get your bike sorted. Dont try and jump like Nino. If he had a choice, he'd also be jumping on a trail bike with the seat out of the way.

Watch as many videos as possible and practice, starting small. Then apply the same skill to the next biggest feature. Don't pick a high consequence gap jump unless you can clear the same distance on a table top. Common sense and correct application of skills applies here more so than anywhere else on the trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hln1eDixcz8

This is sort of a jump, but a bit like a drop off and the flat landing makes it rather punishing on body and bike.

Been to Jonkers today and saw this rock. In real life its way bigger than on your video and the landing is very schetchy this time of the year. RESPECT!!!

I'm 51 and every ride involves as many wheels off the ground events as possible, be they jumps or drop offs.

I second what Duane and PhilV have said. Get your bike sorted. Dont try and jump like Nino. If he had a choice, he'd also be jumping on a trail bike with the seat out of the way.

Watch as many videos as possible and practice, starting small. Then apply the same skill to the next biggest feature. Don't pick a high consequence gap jump unless you can clear the same distance on a table top. Common sense and correct application of skills applies here more so than anywhere else on the trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hln1eDixcz8

This is sort of a jump, but a bit like a drop off and the flat landing makes it rather punishing on body and bike.

Been to Jonkers today and saw this rock. In real life its way bigger than on your video and the landing is very schetchy this time of the year. RESPECT!!!