The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

The reasons for most of my aches and pains:

Broken wrist - The ******* army, running around in the dark

Broken ribs - fishing, boulder hopping after trout, but my favourite rod survived in 1 piece 

Broken wrist - again, same one the army broke, slow speed mtb crash

Broken ribs - don't remember what crash that was

Broken toe - moering down the stairs

Broken collarbone - proper fast mtb crash, first time I needed help getting off the mountain, hospital and titanium parts fitted

Broken scapula - proper near death road crash, that was a wake up call, more hospital, titanium and lengthy recovery

Broken finger - don't remember what happened, but it is still skew, the only break on the left hand side 

Reminds me of the pirate explaining the circumstances of his prosthetics to a guy in the bar.

The wooden leg was the result of an anchor cable accident, the hook hand after the real one was lost to a shark bite,...

"What about the eye patch, was that from a fight?"

"Nope, seagull crapped in my eye!"

"Good grief, how did that cause you to lose the eye?. Surely a quick wipe with a Kleenex would have worked?"

"Tried that, but I'd only had the hook hand for a couple of days at that time."

Edited by Lotus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm - Many OTB moments on motorbikes and bicycles taught me how to fall, and a broken wrist from trying to stop a fall taught me how quickly it can go wrong,

BUT

every single one of my mates and me included who were in that bike/mtb club over the years are all now struggling with stuffed shoulders. It took a lot of very painful gym and work to ensure that i at least didn't have some of their issues. Some of the guys i used to see at gym were quite hilarious - big dudes - strong as hell , all 50 plus, all motorbike legacy injuries that couldn't work a theraband more than 10 cm.  All of them working with biokineticists trying to unfreeze their shoulders. And most literally not able to lift a box off a shelf any more, which is why they were there. 

Shoulders can be sore - and when you sleep wrong and the muscles relax you wake in a cold sweat when it all starts to ache. And bugger can it ache. Thing is once it freezes up it's hell to unfreeze. It's a super complicated joint. Hips and knees can be replaced. Not shoulders. 

Scars tell stories of skin donated to parking lots when skateboarding, riding improvised BMX's with no brakes and fixed gears (prior to BMX) Ankles that click every stop from failed 360 spins on skateboards and so many sprains i didn't even tell the old lady. Motorbike stories that still scare me completely rigid that i actually did those things and survived. Cars flipped at over 180 kmh etc where i dislocated my shoulder from the seatbelt impact....

Actually come to think of it i have probably escaped lighly from my little speed/power/2 wheel obsession...

I must be relatively lucky...I tried to be as idle as possible at school (hated sports) and up until my mid 20s, now I am a 2 years away from 50 and I feel pretty good for my age...The only aches I get are from when I just simply overdo things (especially running and tacking thieves to the ground....).

Touch wood I haven't really had any bad falls (except for one OTB last year just before the 94.7!) but I did grow up riding horses and competing so I think learning to fall from a bit of a height and dodging shod hooves gives you some rolling and tucking skills essential for mountain biking! 

Its nice riding something that doesn't shy at a guinea fowl....!

Edited by Mojoman

So just to give the rest of you 50+ dudes some hope and to show life aint over, I cracked a KOM on the Trail Z downhill on Sunday. Not bad for a toppie.

And yes I am showing off.

Toppie of the Mountain...