The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

A thread where you can come for support on your "off" days . . .

Despite my dashing good looks and my child-like attitude to most things in life . . .  I passed 50 a couple of years ago.

When you're young "it never gets any easier, but you do get faster"  :D

After 50 "it never gets any easier, but you do get slower!"  :(

I'm about to dig the bikes out after 6 weeks of winter hibernation and the first few rides ain't gonna be pretty.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 50th, some years back, was not celebrated at all as I was at work. It did turn out to be a big mental stumbling block and to be honest it depressed me so much to hit that milestone. I have been riding less due to work commitments but this last December I resolved to “fight” back. I live near Wilderness and have vowed to be active and live my life to the full when home in SA. I have recently bought kayaks and I have my motorcycles and mtbs. My wife and I have also started this hiking malarkey.

So ........not cycling as much as I once did, but we make the effort to do other sports appropriate to our area. Much walking and paddling when home.

All my full IM finishes have been after 50. My last degree I completed after 50. I ran a PB over 10 kms 2 weeks ago. My athletic endeavors have all improved since turning 50. Of course I only started cycling at age 48 so my perspective is different ;).

The secret to longevity an vitality imho is outlook on life aN having a purpose to get up for every morning. Age really is a number.

I did my last sub 3 at 49 years old. I was looking forward to competing in the masters category the next year. The 50 came around and lost interest in spending so much time on the bike and got involved in other things. Now I'm turning 57 and busier than ever. The bike gets taken out on weekend (and sometimes it's not).

1ksjv7.jpg

net om die ooms beter te laat voel

*hatcoatdoor

KR, man on an never ending mission.  

He is timeless, sort of catching him up I am.

Thanks Fanie

Edited by Sepia

1ksjv7.jpg

net om die ooms beter te laat voel

*hatcoatdoor

Amazing he gets to feel anything at all with fingers like that.....

Oh yes, I'm a member of this elite club too.

I sort of lost intensity for MTB when Tokai burnt down and I found driving to Jonkers or other spots a bit of a schlep so I have cut down on MTB a lot. Then again, I bought an BMW adventure bike and find I spend a lot of time doing rides on that. Not as good a health option, I know but hey...

....not cycling as much as I once did, but we make the effort to do other sports appropriate to our age. Much walking and paddling when home.

Fixed it for you....

Me.... i have started racing Downhill... again..... after a 25 year gap.... even bought a DH bike... :)

As mentioned above, how you feel can certainly be influenced to some extent by how you allow yourself to feel. How you view yourself generally. I don't view myself as "old", but I concede that my body sometimes does.

Did the 94.7 back in 2014 with my twenty-something-year-old son who was over from the UK. I had just turned "getting old" at the time. We rode together from the new starting point outside Diepsloot until just after we joined the M1. There he dropped me and I didn't catch him again, although I could just about see him, until the last climb. (after Steyn City?).

I had to work hard (ie VERY HARD) coming up Malibongwe towards the Lion Park - where this picture was taken - just to keep him in sight. It was a good day out. One which I treasure. 

post-4874-0-37334500-1519026865_thumb.jpg

As mentioned above, how you feel can certainly be influenced to some extent by how you allow yourself to feel. How you view yourself generally. I don't view myself as "old", but I concede that my body sometimes does.

Did the 94.7 back in 2014 with my twenty-something-year-old son who was over from the UK. I had just turned "getting old" at the time. We rode together from the new starting point outside Diepsloot until just after we joined the M1. There he dropped me and I didn't catch him again, although I could just about see him, until the last climb. (after Steyn City?).

I had to work hard (ie VERY HARD) coming up Malibongwe towards the Lion Park - where this picture was taken - just to keep him in sight. It was a good day out. One which I treasure. 

Good to make memories. They are , after all, pretty much the only thing we will be left with .

My role model :devil: :devil: , not quite, but

attachicon.gif11986477_1297581470346783_2083131778859188241_n.jpg

Big Stones fan, (Really Big)  52 albums including bootlegs, 7 books, 3 concerts, 12  T shirts, ties, belts, watches, lampshades, sunscreens etc. etc

But Keith Richards is the man.  Not as good as he was but good enough for me.

There must be something in those genes, just look at his family..........

Happy days!

I think you just learn to enjoy being out there more and you know the PB's are behind you.

I recover much slower and have lost a lot of the power on climbs. That and an extra 25kgs i found from my lean mean race snake days (which were never) .