Cape Epic - keeping it real with Steel

Waxhead

A very special bike for this year's Epic - Team 101 "Real Steelers"

Awesome bike, GLWE!

As per your reply to Dave's Instagram post, what Cotic is your partner riding?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not waxheads first rodeo with this beast. He has done a couple of stage races on this bike. 

It is a South African developed bike if I remember correctly! nice Contraband 983 Reynolds. 

Where is your little straw hat???

I did the previous three Epics on my contraband plus last year's Munga but have opted now for an all steel Dave Mercer special bespoke bike

Awesome bike, GLWE!

As per your reply to Dave's Instagram post, what Cotic is your partner riding?

Not sure what Cotic Paul Dalton has got.........he opted for gears and front shock.

It is not waxheads first rodeo with this beast. He has done a couple of stage races on this bike. 

It is a South African developed bike if I remember correctly! nice Contraband 983 Reynolds. 

Where is your little straw hat???

Did Attakwas as my last event on the Contraband before switching over to my new Mercer frame - very excited as it rides like a beast

That was my mate's dad. His previous partner pulled out with two weeks to go, so his old man borrowed his sisters pink Nishiki and did it. His old man did some road riding in his day, but really did not train at all

kiefness. you need to get that piksha for me then!

Lost the straw hat in Kenya's RVO and replaced it with a flower that died in December's Munga (the human nearly died too)

Kept the name Scelerat as I have a tattoo on my left calf!

Big 2.35 tires running on low 1.6 and 1.3 pressure. CNC tooled front and rear chain rings, solid 3mm steel - 33/21 ratio for Epic

It is a Dave Mercer bike - 2 years in the making, designed especially for Epic

Dropped EBB in favour of track drop outs - cleaner look and better power engagement with a 30mm Hope BB and Hope cranks.

Still got Colt Brooks saddle and added Formula Cura brakes

So amped and we come thru my home village of McGregor on day one - how special is that

Archived