Breathing

The Ouzo

So yesterday we decide to do hill training. I was looking forward to it as I'm usually pretty strong on the few hills on our normal training route.

We head off downhill from my mates place with the idea being we ride a few km to warm up before hitting the first hill.

But before we even hit that hill I start to struggle, little inclines that should not even be mentioned having me huffing and puffing. The legs feel hardly any strain, but my lungs are complaining.

We hit the first hill and I settle into a rhythm, except I just cant seem to get my breathing right. It feel like I'm not filling my lungs completely, almost like I'm subconsciously stopping myself short of a full breath, kind of like when you are trying to get a burp out.

Halfway up the hill I stop and try and get my breathing regulated.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, now I'm wondering if its a technique thing, circumstance thing or what. Normally I can settle into a rhythm and although slow I can keep thing together.

Could I have started off to quickly ?

Has anyone got any tip or tricks to get breathing rhythms back on track when they go out of wack ?

This sounds like asthma? Or perhaps anxiety? 

Or trying to exercise after a big meal.

Definitely TB. 

this sounds like putting your symptoms into google, a broken finger nail can mean you're dying with 2 weeks to live. :)

on a serious note,

it was a fasted ride so no big meal involved

it did have what I can only guestimate to be what asthma feels like, maybe I should ask Froome for an inhaler.

For other sports like rock climbing Yoga has helped me a lot control the breathing, adjust your heartrate, get yourself out of the red zone etc.

You also could just be getting sick and not admitting it yet.

Sounds like exercise induced asthma, or you could have a little bit of a chest infection. That's exactly how I felt when I suffered from childhood asthma. 

There ya go then - a diagnosis from the hub -- comes with a lifetime supply of TUE.

Jokes aside - it wouldn't surprise me if it was exercise induced asthma - my daughter describes the same symptoms. 

Sounds like exercise induced asthma, or you could have a little bit of a chest infection. That's exactly how I felt when I suffered from childhood asthma. 

There ya go then - a diagnosis from the hub -- comes with a lifetime supply of TUE.

Jokes aside - it wouldn't surprise me if it was exercise induced asthma - my daughter describes the same symptoms. 

maybe its something I need to get checked out.

It could explain why I can put in hours and hours of training and my mate who trains maybe 5 times before a race has the legs on me most of the time.

I always just assumed it was my fitness.

Edited by ouzo

So yesterday we decide to do hill training. I was looking forward to it as I'm usually pretty strong on the few hills on our normal training route.

We head off downhill from my mates place with the idea being we ride a few km to warm up before hitting the first hill.

But before we even hit that hill I start to struggle, little inclines that should not even be mentioned having me huffing and puffing. The legs feel hardly any strain, but my lungs are complaining.

We hit the first hill and I settle into a rhythm, except I just cant seem to get my breathing right. It feel like I'm not filling my lungs completely, almost like I'm subconsciously stopping myself short of a full breath, kind of like when you are trying to get a burp out.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, now I'm wondering if its a technique thing, circumstance thing or what. Normally I can settle into a rhythm and although slow I can keep thing together.

Has anyone got any tip or tricks to get breathing rhythms back on track when they go out of wack ?

this sorted out my issue. especially when the air is cold or dusty/dry

http://www.jinimed.com/show/image/cache/data/20150726/Symbicort%20turbuhaler%20160_4.5%20mcg_dose%20265db04c-ab57-4f51-b700-9fab0022628a.GIF-500x500.png

this

Sorry to hear about the Aids, pal. There is some better medicine nowadays though.

Let us know how it goes.

PS. The coming weight loss might help; can only increase your power to weight ratio.

It could explain why I can put in hours and hours of training and my mate who trains maybe 5 times before a race has the legs on me most of the time.

This was exactly my story a few years ago, till I started asking questions and found out I have EIA... I don't have exactly the same symptoms as you described, I find myself running out of breathe long before I run out of legs... Venteze half an hour before a tide sorts it out great with slightly increased heart rate..

Get it checked out if it's a recurring issue. An inhaler may not even increase performance. It makes me feel light headed, shaky and pushes up my heart rate. Best would to speak to a professional. 

My cousin trained for around 4 hours a week on average for Ironman East London (half distance). I trained around 11 hours a week, and he came in 2 hours earlier than me. I think genetics plays a very big role in performance. 

It feel like I'm not filling my lungs completely

This is not the first time this has happened to me

now I'm wondering if its a technique thing, circumstance thing or what.

No. What you're describing is TEXTBOOK asthma symptoms. 

Its not unheard of to develop it later in life. Especially if you suffer from allergies.

My brother developed asthma in his late 20s. Symptoms started presenting themselves when he was at the gym. He is on Symbicord now too. That **** is expensive. But it works.

It works as a preventor and reliever.  

Anyways. Lets find out if you have it first before we paint you with that brush. Get yourself tested at a pulmonologist ASAP. Symptoms might never return. But there is also a possibility that they may return worse than before. Which is helluv scary. Once you know for sure whats going on. You'll know what the best course of action is. Asthma is easy to treat and manage once you understand what your body is going through. If you ignore it. It could be dangerous. Get it checked out.

Same symptoms as me when I developed asthma. Mine started in early 40s. It has since subsided and I've stopped treatment (with knowledge of my doctor)

I also had(sometimes still do) get the same symptoms. I had myself checked out. Do you get heartburn from time to time?

No. What you're describing is TEXTBOOK asthma symptoms.

Its not unheard of to develop it later in life. Especially if you suffer from allergies.

My brother developed asthma in his late 20s. Symptoms started presenting themselves when he was at the gym. He is on Symbicord now too. That **** is expensive. But it works.

It works as a preventor and reliever.

Anyways. Lets find out if you have it first before we paint you with that brush. Get yourself tested at a pulmonologist ASAP. Symptoms might never return. But there is also a possibility that they may return worse than before. Which is helluv scary. Once you know for sure whats going on. You'll know what the best course of action is. Asthma is easy to treat and manage once you understand what your body is going through. If you ignore it. It could be dangerous. Get it checked out.

Yep $$$$$

My GP gave me mine on chronic. Helps saving the savings a bit.

Was diagnosed late last year. Mainly due to allergies (I'm 33)