Crater cruise

steve

The Free State flat!!!!! Bollocks to that idea, I climbed 997 metres (105km) and unless each corrugation in the road resgisters, then I think it was the never ending uphill grinds that are reflected on my hrm.

I don't like corrugations, but if I wasn't being rattled to death I was fighting my way through soft sand - I'm not sure which is worse!

I did sort of enjoy it though, each race has its own challenges.

To put the Crater Cruise ride into context it is shorter with less climbing than the easiest day of the 2005 Epic (day 3). Still any off road ride of 100kms is a serious ride. The last rider on the course arrive at the midway " chill " area in 6 hours. He thought that he was having a good ride!

Dual suspension only way to go.

John Paul Pearton did this race with rigid carbon forks and 2bar pressure in his tyres.

ok, JP Pearton need to see a shrink.... URGENTLY!!!! having done the 50km route just over a month ago i was dreading yesterday... eventually caved on waturday and went and got myself a genuine Cane Creek Thudbuster LT and the corrugations miraculously dissappeared to a very large extent. This was definately the best cycling purchase i've made the whole year... in fact it's the second best i've made since starting to cycle (the best was the tcr...)!

to anyone who can't afford a full susser, but is suffering on a hardtail, the Thudbuster is the way to go!

SP, is there anything other than a "genuine" Cane Creek Thudbuster ? Wink

But seriously, I borrowed a mates ST Thudbuster and rode both on Saturday & yesterday and although the elastometer probably needs to be slightly softer (he weighs 15kg's more than me), I couldn't really tell too much of a difference.

As a matter of interest, from whom did you purchase it and what price did you pay?

Over R1500-00............................. new Raleigh RDS frame with shock about R4000 = no contest!!!

Over R1500-00............................. new Raleigh RDS frame with shock about R4000 = no contest!!!

Raleigh RDS 5 frame with rear-shock - R 1995   Cajees Confused

the_thug, i got the Thudbuster LT - shelf price R1275 i think... i paid a bit less (having been a very good loyal customer since before i had my first bike!)... there are 2 different thudbusters - the one has a funny-shaped elastomer in it and only gives a slightly cushier ride and is mainly for road use, then there's the LT which gives just under 3" travel and uses 2 elastomers.

using a harder elastomer than you should is noticeable - it comes with the blue elastomers fitted, so i put the thing on my bike and rode around the garden... only a minor difference... then followed instructions and changed to the grey elastomers (i need to get the white ones though, cos for my weight i'm at the bottom-end of the white-grey limits and am just into the white-white range.. yeeee-hah, i'm inching closer to goal weight!) and i could feel the difference instantly.

if you want to try mine out with the CORRECT elastomers, just pm me and we can make a plan (changing the elastomers isn't a big issue)

Thanks SP,

Mate is going to find the other elastometers, so will see if that makes a difference.

did the Krooz on saturday, on my trusty hardtail Gerrie Visser.

What a lekker ride, that is until the last 10km. Took some strain after the last waterpoint, but managed to get myself home. Sunday, a mate and myself had decided on doing the tandem bit, with our sons as stokers!

What a lekker Krooz. The first bit of dirt was interesting, and saw one poor dude do a face plant. Enjoyed the time with our sons, and was mighty impressed with my mate and son, who pedalled up the boulder after the last water point!!

Congrats to the organisers on a excellent race, and will be back next year.

Did the cruise on a single speed, will do it again next year on a rigid single speed, got some nice mtb carbon forks in last week, too late to be fitted to my boney.

M uses a Thudbuster on our Tandem...... amazing piece of work. Very little change in seat position and she will not ride without it. We imported ours from www.chainreactioncyles.com. It is curently listed at R1493 but we still paid a tad under R1000 when we imported.

Raleigh RDS 5 frame with rear-shock - R 1995   Cajees Confused

Phew, wow, bliksem etc..................can you even buy the Manitou shock on the RDS5 frame for that price.

Dunno what connection there is between Cajees and Raleigh, but it can't be easy for the real lbs owners out there who have been supporting Raleigh throughout the growth phase...........do they feel let down, I wonder?

Dunno what connection there is between Cajees and Raleigh, but it can't be easy for the real lbs owners out there who have been supporting Raleigh throughout the growth phase...........do they feel let down, I wonder?

Thats why a lot of lbs's have "thrown" Raliegh out of their shops cause cajees are whoring the brand out and undercutting those of us who are trying to make an honest living. The main reason I'm getting rid of Giant, Cajees is under cutting my prices.

Funny thing is whenever I have been into Cajees I have never found any item cheaper than other shops  but others rave about their prices?

That Raleigh frame does sound like a bargain though.