Cycling facts that I did not know...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The origin of the Colnago cloverleaf logo ?

In 1970 a journalist wrote that Dancelli, riding a Colnago for team Molteni, had won the Milan San Remo "on a bicycle that was in bloom". It was the first Italian win in 16 years. That evening Ernesto Colnago met him in a restaurant and the journalist asked him: "why don't you make a symbol of the victory"? Colnago liked the idea right away. San Remo is known as the city of flowers, and his bicycle certainly was in full bloom. Colnago said that he was hoping in his heart that he would become an ace in the world of bicycles.From that day he changed the Colnago logo to be the Ace of Spades. (Also known in Italian as "fiore" or flower.) Today that logo is recognized all over the world and Colnago certainly is the Ace of the cycling world. 

(Several other versions exist, but I like the above the best.)

In an era where last year's standard is this year's obsolescence, two of cycling's most enduring advances were designed by Tullio Campagnolo more than 80 years ago, both are still in current use on top end bicycles:

The quick release and the parallelogram rear derraileur have both stood the test of time.

I wonder how we will view OD2 or boost in 85 years time......

Before Campagnolo came up with the rear derailleur, he patented and (Bartali, I think) won the Tour De France with something called a dual rod gear. This is what it looked like.

post-17716-0-77486700-1521989062_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-54081700-1521989073_thumb.jpg

About the Colnago C40, the icon that kicked off the carbon fibre revolution in cycling:

...............While we take for granted the spread of carbon frames, their success was not always a foregone conclusion. This is what Ernesto Colnago himself had to say about it:

“When we built the C40 we were the only ones to build carbon frames and all the mechanics and technicians were saying that they would be too dangerous to use on cobbled roads, especially with the straight carbon forks. The night before Paris- Roubaix I had the Mapei boss on the phone to me raising his worry about using such a delicate-looking thing. I told him that we’d done all of the tests that we could on the frame and the fork and we were certain there would be no problem. I had to take personal responsibility for the outcome and I spent all night worrying about it, barely able to sleep. But when I heard that there were 4 Mapei riders in the break, I knew I could relax.”  The C40 went on to win 5 editions of Paris-Roubaix in 6 years.

LOOK were the first company to produce a usable frame with carbon tubes designed for cycle racing. 
In 1986 Greg Lemond won the first Tour De France riding a carbon bicycle, the LOOK KG86.