Cycling facts that I did not know...

MJ the Expat

Oddly enough, I approached this discovery from the other direction about 10 years ago. "What? Shimano make bike stuff and they have shifters with the same name as my bass fishing reels"

I wonder if Scott fishing rods are part of the Scott bike lot too?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cannondale Lefty's inner suspension tube is square and rolls on bearings

The extra stiffness is gained more by the fact it had a tripple tree fork design like half of what a motorcycle has and not a neck which aslo makes it feel stiffer.

Here is a gem....

The Giro used to have a Maglia nera/black jersey, awarded to the last rider to finish. There was a small amount of prize money for this and it actually resulted in a bit of competition to come last. The 1951 winner of the Maglia Nera took the prize money and started a bike company. His name was Giovani Pinarello. 

http://www.saltypeaks.com/pi/p7745-ShimanoGreyYellowBase.jpg

these are shimano snowboard boots.

they make a binding that is clip in like SPDs, called Clicker bindings, and were done with K2

Work way better than the ratchet ones in my opinion, but have never caught as the pros don't use them.

inout-a.gif

First Mtb's “all terrain” bicycles were made by Ritchey (designed some of the burgeoning mountain bike industry’s first frames and components back in the 1970’s) and Specialized in 1977.

First Mountain Bike Ever

Many riders have legitimate claim to being the first mountain bikers, but Joe Breeze gets the nod for making the first purpose-built mountain bike. Breezer number one was being ushered into the expo area and we got some pictures of the beautifully restored machine that launched the sport. You don't have to be a vintage bike geek to appreciate the opportunity to see and touch such a relevant piece of history.

p4pb7143182.jpg

Breezer number one uses twin lateral frame members in the hope that the extra tubes would extend its life on the local trails and downhill races north of San Francisco, California. The frame was crafted from chromoly tubes brazed together.

p4pb7143184.jpg

Breezer frame details: (clockwise) Drivetrains were a bit simpler in the early 70's. Phil Wood made the only sealed bearings hubs that would hold up. Freewheels had five cogs (13 x 24) and road derailleurs were the only changers available • The girder fork design was borrowed from 26-inch-wheel paperboy bikes from the 1950s, although Joe's was hand made from road bike fork parts and chromoly tubes • French Mafac cantilever brakes were popular on tandem and cyclcross bikes at the time • TA, another French parts maker, produced the only cranksets with "low-geared" triple, or double-chainring options - if 48 x 38 could be considered low geared..

p4pb7143185.jpg

Mountain bikes were even more international in the early years. The Beezer was typical of the early bike setups with two German-made Magura motocross clutch levers or brakes. Grips were two left-side motorcycle items from the US. Cut-down motorcycle bars or modified paperboy bars were preferred, and shifters were out-of-production thumb levers from Suntour of Japan.

The Breezer was pieced together from rare parts, many of which were either out of production or forgotten items of the time. Tires came from Uniroyal of the US, The only 26 x 1.75 alloy rims in the world were made by Ukai or Araya of Japan, and only three models of derailleurs in the world (two from Japan and one from France) could handle the 'wide-range' gearing (48 x 38 front and 13 x 24 rear). It's hard to believe that we've come so far in so short a time.

John Finley Scott can rightfully be considered the Abraham of mountain biking. A sociology professor at UC-Davis, “Finley” as he was known to friends, had built a prototype mountain bike as early as 1953 with multiple gears and knobby tires that he named “Woodsy”. It is widely considered to be the world’s first mountain bike.

http://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com/assets/news/originals/woodsie-bike.jpg.pagespeed.ce.odxlR3grsF.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

SRAM is an acronym comprising the names of its founders, Scott, Ray, and Sam

Dom joke . Deleted

Edited by Blokman

No, the Cannondale Motorcycle was a P.O.S, there is a reason it never lasted. Cannondale's entire marketting ploy is directly opposite to what most modern dirtbike suspension is doing by releasing separate function forks.

Would have loved to see a lefty motorbike though...

http://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/article-images/5/55423.jpg

Go Lefty !!

This is how Cannondale started life on wheels...

CANNONDALEC440R-815_1.jpg

Ex-Springbok Pro and bike shop owner Willie Engelbrecht, used to own one of these when he still had his bike shop... it was indeed an incredible POS

Edited by Buff_SA