Foot pain when out of the saddle (MTB)?

Irons

5 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks. Will have a look. 

Theres an article/blog on it somewhere, and that helped me out a lot, but i cant find it now. Read it quite a while ago. Ill see if i can find it and post it here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

My guess... Time for a bike fit with the emphasis on cleat setup then. 

When last did you have a bike fit?

The older we get… 

Just now, Frosty said:

When last did you have a bike fit?

The older we get… 

This will sound weird but I've never had one before. Never felt like I needed one as I never had pain or discomfort on the bike. 

On the new bike I had some hand pain and elbow discomfort. Rolling the bars forward sorted that out 100%. 

Just the damn feet man. 

But as you say... the older we get. 

I booked a session with Richard Baxter for next week. Throwing money at the problem will make it go away. 

5 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

This will sound weird but I've never had one before. Never felt like I needed one as I never had pain or discomfort on the bike. 

On the new bike I had some hand pain and elbow discomfort. Rolling the bars forward sorted that out 100%. 

Just the damn feet man. 

But as you say... the older we get. 

I booked a session with Richard Baxter for next week. Throwing money at the problem will make it go away. 

Good choice going to Richard; you won’t be sorry. I send all my club members to him and they come back with positive improvements.

I know this is not exactly on point, so sorry if I am derailing.

My question is. Are mountain bike shoe soles rated for hardness. I.e. How do you  know, until you cleat in and ride them that the soles are not too soft? By which time its too late as the shop won’t take them back 🤷‍♀️

Against all the advice I have new pedals arriving today. Shimano Saint with the nice fat platform. 

I'm thinking the flex in the 2FO soles will be taken up by the platform based on my conversation with someone that uses them and had the same problem. 

@Harryn I believe the specifications for shoes will give an indication of what to expect of the stiffness of the sole. Carbon fibre being the stiffest and skate shoes being the most flexible. 

In the podcast I mentioned above, Colby Pierce talks about shoe stiffness, float, width of shoe, and much much more. The downsides to choosing a brand name over comfort and the problems these cause.

There’s too much to point out but here’s the summary from the podcast notes. It really is a good listen.

This week on The Podium, Dr. Sprouse is joined by Colby Pearce. Colby is a former professional & Olympic cyclist (2004), a bike fitter, and is self-proclaimed as “the world’s biggest bike dork” after spending most of his life in cycling. 

In this episode, Dr. Sprouse and Colby discuss:
- how his time racing on the track and in the TT influenced his career in bike fitting
- why balancing our movement matters so much in cycling to keep healthy movement patterns 
- the setup of the bike and the "setup" of the cyclist 
- ins and outs of bike fits 
- kind of biomechanics talk that applies to people outside of cycling 
- how the journey through the extremes can help with landing in the middle
- the importance of practicing “ global health”
- Colby's thoughts on some of the key contact points on the bike
- and much more! 

Had this and also foot numbness and overheating with 'normal' MTB shoes. Never had a problem again since switching to Lakes with carbon soles. Expensive but they can take quite a lot of abuse, last a very long time and are worth every cent in terms of avoiding pain/discomfort etc..

21 hours ago, MORNE said:

Ja, that boney protrusion on the inside of your foot at the base of your big toe.

Bru that's not cleat position or anything of that nature. That's Wyntoon. AKA Gout. Try dopping less red wine.

😁

Edited by Duane_Bosch

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Sits nice and flush with the sole. 

Much better support! Holding thumbs that the extra contact helps. 

Bloody heavy pedals though 😣

They are indeed way better than a stock spd...but do you see what  mean here:

the cage doesnt really contact the shoe at the green parts. rear you might get there with a pin (purple), but front...norrafok. 

I made a naughty too today..ill post some pics later

image.jpeg.d4b2176f36c849aff2144bd30e13656e.jpeg

i was actually looking for a pair of those saints down here in CT this week but nobody has stock where i looked. Where did you find those up there? lonely on a shelf?

anyway...So i got offered these for the same price instead🤪

Apparently they have 'new tech' in them that helps you avoid rock strikes too....

- the PAM or 'pathological anxiety mechanism', it increases your fear of damaging bling and is directly proportional to cost. yours should have the same mechanism.

😆

IMG_5378.jpg

Edited by MORNE

@MORNE  I got them from Specialized Kenilworth. 

Those Hope’s are sexy!

First ride. Good support for the outside of my foot. No more pain… numb toes persist but I haven’t switched the custom footbeds in yet. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Bastard! 😅

5B3AE6AF-ED8C-406F-932D-43FAF7F142AD.jpeg

That was me. Absolutely stellar service from them. Shipped to my door overnight. 

Just a thought, if I have been of the bike for a month or two and I start riding again I have the same problem, however loosening the fasteners and looking at how I am pedaling helps. then after about 2 to 300 km of riding everything is back to normal.

I also know that my shoes are a bit on the narrow side so that is also a contributing factor.