Foot pain when out of the saddle (MTB)?

Irons

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Bastard! 😅. 

5B3AE6AF-ED8C-406F-932D-43FAF7F142AD.jpeg

Speak to Mike at Spez Tygerberg.

If there is stock in SA he will source for you.

Sadly .... dont waste your time with any other staff there ....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys mustn't forget that feet have muscles, tendons an ligaments too, so if you have weak feet and then suddenly 'use them' they will get sore.

They will get stronger and more robust.

If you wear supported arch shoes your whole life then start trying to walk around barefoot you will have aches, pains and some issues.

Cleat angle and cleat position will make a huge difference. Honestly, (I'm going to sound like a Vegan Cross Fitter from Bishops) I rode Freedom Challeng on a rigid SS in hike a bike shoes with almost no sole support and stomped on the pedals for days using shimano M520 pedals.

I had no issues. 

So, while upgadealitis for more support and more more more somethings is fun, often it's treating the symptons, not the cause

Morne just a thought, you are looking at the shoes clipped in in non weight bearing form, would the soles not have some slight give when weighted and therefore make more contact with  the rest of the pedal ?

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Guys mustn't forget that feet have muscles, tendons an ligaments too, so if you have weak feet and then suddenly 'use them' they will get sore.

If you wear supported arch shoes your whole life then start trying to walk around barefoot you will have aches, pains and some issues.

Cleat angle and cleat position will make a huge difference. Honestly, (I'm going to sound like a Vegan Cross Fitter from Bishops) I rode Freedom Challeng on a rigid SS in hike a bike shoes with almost no sole support and stomped on the pedals for days using shimano M520 pedals.

I had no issues. 

So, while upgadealitis for more support and more more more somethings is fun, often it's treating the symptons, not the cause

So HTFU until the pain goes away? 

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

So HTFU until the pain goes away? 

Well I'd get the cleat angle and position sorted then HTFU

Do heal raises, roll on a golf ball, walk barefoot etc.. Get the feet working all the time.

I got hot foot from my Spez XC shoes when I first got them. I was over tightening them and the cleats were a fraction too far forward.

I sorted that out and they never bothered me again.

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Pretty much what was mentioned on the podcast I refer to.

Bike done. Couple of small changes to the bike itself and cleats set according the mad science behind the machines. Won't call it money wasted but I am disappointed. 

Foot pain persists under the 5th metatarsal in my right foot. Starts after 15 minutes. 

New shoes, new pedals, footbeds, bike fit..... R5k? maybe more spent. 

Going back to flats.... priceless. 

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Bike done. Couple of small changes to the bike itself and cleats set according the mad science behind the machines. Won't call it money wasted but I am disappointed. 

Foot pain persists under the 5th metatarsal in my right foot. Starts after 15 minutes. 

Have you mentioned this to the bike fitter since the setup?

15 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

So you stole those Saints from under my nose, out of my backyard… and now you are partsbinning them?😅 naaaais.

I feel no difference between my flats (on spank 110mm pedals)  and 2 pairs of clipped shoes. The flats (Etnies semenuk’s) are more floppy(less stiff) than the cleated shoes and they suck nuts when you really want to get the power down because they are so floppy, but in terms of comfort, i can ride 60km in both and not feel a thing. (Both have arch support), 60km is my longest flats, ive done double that in clipped shoes.

Flats are not priceless btw…they make up those costs in medical bills…i say that sitting here looking at where I had 12 stitches in my leg last week🤣

im wondering then if its not a combo thing perhaps. Position on saddle, weight distro etc etc. Im assuming the cleats are on your new XC bike and you are used to flats on your trail bike? Maybe something to consider. They shoeldnt feel any different from a flat in terms of all dat comfort.

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

im wondering then if its not a combo thing perhaps. Position on saddle, weight distro etc etc. Im assuming the cleats are on your new XC bike and you are used to flats on your trail bike? Maybe something to consider. They shoeldnt feel any different from a flat in terms of all dat comfort.

That was what the bike fit was for right? 

As for the Saints. You are welcome to make me an offer...

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Yes. Waiting on feedback.

Which bike fit did you do? With or without the saddle pressure test?

It might be worth speaking to a podiatrist. I remember a few Hubbers (locally) that could help.

If memory serves me correct, @TALUS was one.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

It might be worth speaking to a podiatrist. I remember a few Hubbers (locally) that could help.

for a podiatrist I would recommend Michael Els. He is very clued up on ortho soles for sports, particularly cycling. 

I have flat feet, but I never thought about ortho soles for cycling until he made me a pair. Having the support in the correct places makes a big difference.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Full fit with pressure mapping. Everything checks out after the fit. 

Just not the pedals. Seriously demotivating after spending the money on everything. 

24 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Full fit with pressure mapping. Everything checks out after the fit. 

Just not the pedals. Seriously demotivating after spending the money on everything. 

Okay, I thought you were still eina after the setup.