[Event] Two Oceans "Wolfpack Hustle" Crash Race

nicsname

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually bonk as soon as I sit on a bicycle but lets say somewhere around 20 - 25km/h. Fast enough to make it, but slow enough to chat  :thumbup:

Brilliant, that's my type of race. Off to go and buy a set of lights

Just moonshine at that time of the morning. Will be before dawn when we finish.

Come rain or shine, tomorrow we ride! Hope everyone is ready for a jol!

Good fun but perhaps not quite as safe as riding on closed roads might suggest. People assembling refreshment stations not expecting cyclists to come whizzing through, people in dark clothing crossing the road behind parked cop cars with blue lights making it hard to see.

These safety concerns aside it was worth the early start but not sure I'll do it again.

Good fun but perhaps not quite as safe as riding on closed roads might suggest. People assembling refreshment stations not expecting cyclists to come whizzing through, people in dark clothing crossing the road behind parked cop cars with blue lights making it hard to see.

These safety concerns aside it was worth the early start but not sure I'll do it again.

Thanks Mamil. We could have made this a bit clearer in the briefing - we'll note it for next year! Hope you had a jol nonetheless :) 

hahahaha it's not quite as dumb as 3 weeks ago when I did the BATrun, finished at half past 1 in the morning, had some chow, got an hour of shut eye then lined up at 5am for the start of the Peninsula... Making the most of weekends!

Your fault for finishing so late!

It brought joy to my heart and tears to my eyes as I saw the flicker of red rear lights dispersed around the Forries entrance. It was 4am and already we had a better turnout than the previous total of 4. The excitement was palpable as more and more keen cyclists rolled through. There were people on mountain bikes, single speeds, steel framed vintage beauties and naturally an array of roadies. After a brief warm welcome and a reminder of the rules of the road, the Two Oceans "Wolfpack Hustle" Crash Race was underway. 

A peloton of around 60-70 cyclists made their way to main road where the race officially began. Three riders saw an opportunity for a breakaway as the rest of the peloton made a gingerly start up to Wynberg. The breakaway lasted all of 5kms due to the combination of a strong headwind and an intensity shift in the main bunch. The pace lifted through Lakeside and soon enough a group of 5 racing snakes made a breakaway stick as they cruised through Muizenberg. 

Participants were met with some obstacles along the way. Some cars and red lights along main road made life interesting for all involved. The barriers at the start of Chappies meant that cyclists had channel their inner cyclocross and carry their bikes over the booms. We were kept on our toes as every 3kms there were a group of people setting up water points for the runners who would follow in our tracks a little later.

The Chappies ascent in absolute darkness is one for the memory banks. With only your front light and the light of the full moon to guide your way, you almost listen to your legs screaming at you to stop. Up Chappies, the leading bunch became 4 as the 5th was lost to the darkness.

The winning move was made by Donovan Le Cok successfully attacked the riders who remained up Constantia Nek. He held on for victory in a time of 1:26:13 with an average speed of 34.7 km/h. Anna Stelzner was the first lady to cross the finish line in an impressive time of 1:42:55 (average speed 29.5 km/h).

Finishers were treated to some ice cold castles and a few Easter eggs as we toasted yet another successful Two Oceans Crash Race! Congratulations to all who made the 4:15am start and especially Donovan and Anna on winning the first ever and immensely coveted Wolfpack Hustle dog tags. Thank you all for coming - we'll see you next year!

Attached you'll see the first gentleman and lady proudly wearing their dog tags as well as the official Strava top 10 on the Wolfpack Hustle segment for the day. Apologies to any of the finishers who may have finished in the top 10 but didn't use Strava. However if its not on Strava did it really happen?

post-108748-0-31405300-1522680561_thumb.jpg

post-108748-0-88393800-1522680713_thumb.png

• 11 months later...