Levo e-bike test ride or rental.

Lewr

Hi all.Being trying to get my head over this ebike thing and sort of made up my mind.I want ro buy a lwvo fsr fatty comp.So many to choosw from but it looks like levo is the better for now?Maby i am wrong?The actual eeason for my post is where in jhb can one rent or do a proper test ride and no not in a car park outside a shop.I am talking doing a few kilos maby on a single track near me.We rise the spruit to emerentia often or maby red barn or wolwespruit or even better pwc park.I know this not the usa where they have all these demo days and off you go.These bikes are lots of money and one wants to make sure about size and choice.If there is any dealer or hubber out there who can maby point me in the right direction it would be really great.One can always give your id,pay a dep or something.**** even take my car for the time.But how do we do this.Even better if one could find a shop with maby lets say levo,giant and other makes to compair.I know this is a longshot in the dark but i have to start somewhere.Please let me know if this makes sense to you in my quest to getting the right bike or how did you allready riding one made the right desicion with your purchase.

Kind regards and cant wait to hear from you out there.

Check with a Specialized Concept store if they have any demo's available to lend.

A friend had a Levo the weekend. I was very impressed with it, until I helped him lift it up to put in the bakkie.

Guess a PROPER test should include loading it onto a bike rack ... especially if you use a roof rack ....

Then also a few kilos with zero battery power .....

Jokes aside - my real concern relates to the "cost of ownership" .... buying it is a planned expense, but what will it cost to keep it going ?

Good question Chrisf.I have also tried to get more info but can only find the results as between 800to 1000 charges per battery pack.I recon battery replacement could be close on 10k in sa if you ask me.Then how often is a service done on the motor itself?Maby someone who has gone through this could help with a few answers.

Now I dont know anymore.Just read a long forum on mtbr and was not expecting so many neg things about the levo.Some love it and other hate it.Serious issues with the app for settings.Bottom bracket bb to low with almost every one getting pedal hits or bb scraping over rocks and deep single track.Parts bracking.Chains bracking if setup not right to much torque on chains and and and.Serious.I was so exited about this but by the looks of things these bikes are seriously exspensive to maintain.A replacement battery is between 800 to 1000 us dollars.Wow.Pity the new Kenevo with better ground clearance and upgraded battery and componwnts are going to be close if not more to a 100k here.**** looks like it is back to the drawing board for a human power bike.Stumpjumper or enduro then.

Much better option: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motocross/models/yz250

On a serious note. The Levo is an awesome bike, my dad has one that I have ridden once or twice in Jonkers. The geo is much the same as the Stumpjumper and it handles exceptionally well on fast and flowy trails. Where it does get a bit hung up is on slow rocky/techy stuff due to the extra weight - but that's to he expected from any e-bike I guess.

To be honest though, I think e-bikes are a cool toy IF you can have your normal bike and an e-bike. It is never going to give you the real mtb experience. Every time I have riden my dad's e-bike I like it, but in no way or form would I ever consider replacing my Stumpy with one.

On the other hand, for someone like my dad who is getting on with age and quite overweight, it's an awesome piece of kit that get someone who otherwise would be on the couch out in nature.

EDIT: On cost of ownership, services are expensive, and you will need a special towbar mounted rack (standard towbar racks as well as roof racks cannot handle the weight).

The Spez app is not really necessary to use, once you set up your three riding modes you can ride without the app.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Jip.Will have to make sure about this whole mtb biying thing then.Thx for all the replies so far.Will still.try one out and take it from there.

I recently bought my wife and I a Levo each. We went for the entry level bike that retails for R65K. I negotiated a 10% discount and used the discount to upgrade the bikes.

Wife's bike I added a spez dropper, grips and did a tubeless conversation.

Mine, I added a 160mm Yari, reverb dropper, Saint brakes, grips and tubeless.

Surprisingly with 10mm more travel upfront I don't have pedal strike. My wife is light and she doesn't complain about it either.

Since owning a Levo, I tell my friends if you can't afford it, don't test ride it. You're sure to want on if you do.

We were riding on average around 40km over the weekend, we are now doing around 80km. I get around 40km on a charge, my wife only uses 60%, she would easily get 60+ Kms.

Cost of ownership, time will tell, I carry a spare chain with me + the normal.

I haven't ridden my Pyga since getting the Levo, riding the Levo is a blast.

Pyga will be in the classified soon along with my wife's Merida.

I have a giant e dirt. The soft tail. Its awesome.

Had one repair thus far where I bailed and the control broke. Cost R 1 1000 to replace.

A new battery will cost R 8 000 I have priced it.

In terms of services Linden cycles stock both the soft and hard tail e bike so Ill service there.

I ride about 50 km on a weekend and can now keep up with son who is a race snake and is half my age.

Perhaps contact Linden to see if they will arrange a demo bike to ride.

I have always found them helpful.

The hard tail giant e bike retails at Linden for R 39 000 the soft tail version at R 65 000.

Edited by rorydewet

Hi all.Being trying to get my head over this ebike thing and sort of made up my mind.I want ro buy a levo fsr fatty comp.So many to choose from but it looks like levo is the better for now?Maby i am wrong?The actual reason for my post is where in jhb can one rent or do a proper test ride and no not in a car park outside a shop.I am talking doing a few kilos maby on a single track near me.We rise the spruit to emerentia often or maby red barn or wolwespruit or even better pwc park.I know this not the usa where they have all these demo days and off you go.These bikes are lots of money and one wants to make sure about size and choice.If there is any dealer or hubber out there who can maby point me in the right direction it would be really great.One can always give your id,pay a dep or something.**** even take my car for the time.But how do we do this.Even better if one could find a shop with maby lets say levo,giant and other makes to compair.I know this is a longshot in the dark but i have to start somewhere.Please let me know if this makes sense to you in my quest to getting the right bike or how did you allready riding one made the right desicion with your purchase.

Go chat to the guys at West Rand Cycles about testing a Levo.

We could perhaps do a ride together if it'll make them more comfortable loaning the test Levo out.

(nothing against you but no one can be trusted these days, so if it helps make it happen, I'm more than willing to help)

Hi all.Being trying to get my head over this ebike thing and sort of made up my mind.I want ro buy a levo fsr fatty comp.So many to choose from but it looks like levo is the better for now?Maby i am wrong?The actual reason for my post is where in jhb can one rent or do a proper test ride and no not in a car park outside a shop.I am talking doing a few kilos maby on a single track near me.We rise the spruit to emerentia often or maby red barn or wolwespruit or even better pwc park.I know this not the usa where they have all these demo days and off you go.These bikes are lots of money and one wants to make sure about size and choice.If there is any dealer or hubber out there who can maby point me in the right direction it would be really great.One can always give your id,pay a dep or something.**** even take my car for the time.But how do we do this.Even better if one could find a shop with maby lets say levo,giant and other makes to compair.I know this is a longshot in the dark but i have to start somewhere.Please let me know if this makes sense to you in my quest to getting the right bike or how did you allready riding one made the right desicion with your purchase.

Hi there,

Please send me your contact details at janno.smit@specialized.com

Cheers,

Janno