Garmin 520 Edge Smartphone notifications?

L.T.G

Keep in mind - The notifications on the Garmin only dissapears by way of pushing the back button.

Might have to keep pushing that back button to read your on screen data.

Your missus and drivers don't do sms?  :devil: I Don't like SMS.. honestly don't know when last I used it. I prefer Whatsapp...and for a device that costs 6-7K (for the bundle) I'd like to get features that suit me.

whatsapp groups :- don't belong to any that would bother me. 

For me the phone calls and sms's work fine. not me.. hence the research before buying

The sigma Rox 11.0 allows for smart notifications, it onlys shows on the screen from who it is and first part of the message and you cant access the rest of it. 

Keep in mind - The notifications on the Garmin only dissapears by way of pushing the back button.

Might have to keep pushing that back button to read your on screen data.

100% and not cool while you suffering to hit that back button on a 20% grad hill but you cant see all the vital info lol - normally a notification like - buy one pizza and get the other for free at del forno  :cursing:

I disconnected all of the notifications as I get a huge number of sms’s that are work related (hardly any WhatsApp any more as iMessage is pretty similar) and decided to rather rather just enjoy my ride. Also had a couple of scary moments when looking at text notifications and not the road. I also put my Apple Watch into do not disturb for the same reason when riding.

Each to their own though. Why not just mount your phone on your top tube if you want all the notifications etc

Maybe the Edge 520 Plus just released will have upgrades for all the various smart notification.  As it now does maps with turn by turn navigation

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/garmin-edge-520-plus-varia-rtl510-information-prices-52092/

Not sure if this is what I had in mind...

'The Edge 520 Plus also has Garmin's rider-to-rider messaging, where you can communicate via text messages without pulling out your phone.'

Not sure if this is what I had in mind...

'The Edge 520 Plus also has Garmin's rider-to-rider messaging, where you can communicate via text messages without pulling out your phone.'

How would that work? Typing messages on your Garmin while riding? What can possibly go wrong...

I was also able to "train" :ph34r:  the missus to sms or phone in an emergency...other whatsapp's and notifications have to wait until I finished enjoying my ride  :thumbup:

BUT I am sure Garmin (and other manufacturers) will figure something out soon enough for what you have in mind...the joys of technology.

Doesnt answer your question but related.

a couple of years back whilst out on a training ride I had my head phones in my left ear listening to the announcements from cyclemeter when I got a phone call. I dont normally answer calls when riding but for some reason I answered. 

I then proceeded to have a mini job interview, whilst on my bike. Was crazy, had to slow down to walking speed to stop the wind noise.

Got the job after having the formal interview the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

After much back and forth, Garmin SA after insisting it's possible, failed to be able to show me proof of an Edge anything showing a Whatsapp message, and  have eventually conceded and admitted it's not possible.

That's all I need, right from the onset (can't roll my eyes hard or far back enough)

One last question, (I'm not asking them anything again)

If you're sent an iMessage, is that displayed on your units? or only regular sms'?

If you're sent an iMessage, is that displayed on your units? or only regular sms'?

Given how your research has gone thus far, what would your guess be?...  :ph34r:

Cant confirm for the Edge 520, but can confirm that on a Forerunner 920XT (older technology than the Edge 520) that I receive Whatsapp messages, also can receive Twitter notifications, Superbru notifications etc.

After much back and forth, Garmin SA after insisting it's possible, failed to be able to show me proof of an Edge anything showing a Whatsapp message, and have eventually conceded and admitted it's not possible.

That's all I need, right from the onset (can't roll my eyes hard or far back enough)

One last question, (I'm not asking them anything again)

iMessage does show as notifications

Archived