Gravel bikes or CX style mtb setups

J&B

So I am building a CX style bike on a Silverback Storm 1 but I want to hear what others opinion would be. The specs I am aiming for is:

Silverback Storm 1 carbon frame.

Sram xx1 crankset.

KCNC handlebar, seatpost and stem.

Shimano XTR 11-speed rd.

Shimano Ultegra or dura-ace sti's.

Sram X1 10-42T cassette.

Mavic Crossride ST wheelset.

Mechanical disc brakes.

Mavic Ikon 29x2.2" tyres front & rear.

As far as I know you can’t mix Shimano road and mtb shifters and derailleurs, well not the latest 11spd. Maybe the older generation 10spd stuff. On the other hand Sram can be mixed and matched.

Okay so I saw this picture a while back of the strada 3T with a xt derailleur paired with sti levers but neglected to see that it was di2 so a better option would be to go with a match up of the new Ultegra RX rd and Ultegra R8000 shifters... Now the only question is would I be able to acompany the 10-42 cassette or do you think a longer b-screw will be required?

post-64808-0-55318100-1523063503_thumb.jpg

10sp STIs work with a pre-dynasys 9-sp MTB RD, giving you 10 changes behind. But getting such a RD for 10-42 might be challenge? 

If it doesn't offend your sensibilities put a road FD on and run 2x10 with say a compact crankset (50/34) and an 11-36 cassette, if the RD will handle it, and you may have top and bottom ends covered? The 1x guys can advice better on which RD-cassette will work but don't forget about the STIs, or run a bar-end friction shifter?

@FatBoab the cassette I am planning on using is a Sram X1 11-speed 10-42t. I have been scouring the internet for information about the new Ultegra RX rear derailleur and found that according to shimano it will take up to a 36t cassette so I believe with a new and longer b-screw to adjust the derailleur back further should allow the 42t cassette to fit. Otherwise and I really don't want to go to that price range but di2 or e-tap????

The old 9 speed long cage RD works perfectly with a 42 tooth so if you go 10 speed it's the cheapest option

@FatBoab the cassette I am planning on using is a Sram X1 11-speed 10-42t. I have been scouring the internet for information about the new Ultegra RX rear derailleur and found that according to shimano it will take up to a 36t cassette so I believe with a new and longer b-screw to adjust the derailleur back further should allow the 42t cassette to fit. Otherwise and I really don't want to go to that price range but di2 or e-tap

Here's a thread on cyclocross builds - great info spread across the 130+ pages - seek and ye shall find! A lot of guys do their builds on the cheap and turn out some great looking and sounding bikes, so almost anything and everything is possible at any price point. Good luck.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/145453-building-a-cyclo-cross-bike/?hl=cyclo

I'm building a mtb style gravel bike.

Momsen st-f 29er cro-mo frame

Carbon fork

Xtr m9000 groupset

Chris king hubs (have to decide what rims)

Not sure if alu will have more give than carbon resulting in a softer ride????

Carbon post, carbon bar, thomson stem

Something like this ????

post-58842-0-26030600-1523085507_thumb.jpeg

I have a surly KM set up for gravel/commuting/fun and it really is a cool way to go. Originally had it set up with drops but being a mtber it never really felt lekker.

Here it is with 10spd 105 sti's and an old 9spd rear derailleur 1x10, 11-36.

post-18513-0-65624400-1523099863_thumb.jpg

Now running 780 bars and a 2.3 tyre up front I've found the sweet spot.

Standard 1x10 shimano setup.

post-18513-0-63791000-1523100029_thumb.jpg

Built a "monster-cross" on a steel Contraband frame.

Salsa Woodchipper drop bars, Sram XX crank, Campag shifters, mechanical disc brakes, Sram rear derailleur, Xt front derailleur, bit of a mixed bag of components but works well and rides like a dream.

Got cyclo-cross tires on Mavic Cross max rims, don't see the point of having mtb. tires on a cross bike.

post-7930-0-91685100-1523334738_thumb.jpg

post-7930-0-88915600-1523334860_thumb.jpg

hijack

why do you guys all go for mechanical discs on otherwise high-specced bikes?  Is it a CX thing, or did I miss the memo

hijack off

hijack

why do you guys all go for mechanical discs on otherwise high-specced bikes?  Is it a CX thing, or did I miss the memo

hijack off

Hi

It all comes down to the cost!

hijack

hijack off

Some of us are still on cantilever brakes.......and proudly so unless there's a downhill with sand at the bottom!

• 4 months later...

build completed with specs as follows.

Momsen stf-29 - Large

carbon fork

Carbon bar and seatpost, thomsen stem

XTR M9000 rear derailleur, shifter and crank with csixx 36 chainring (11-42 cassette)

XT M8000 brake set and pedals

Chris King hubs laced to carbon 33mm hoops - Maxxis skinwalls F(Ardent) &R(Icon)

Took it for a spin and must say its fun.

post-58842-0-61125700-1534602303_thumb.jpg

Archived