[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might have missed this (being lazy checking back). Anyone not what type(s) of lube the mechanics at the CPs are likely to have? Probably going to be running Smoove unless there is a forecast of significant rain. Prepared to carry own of course, but can take much smaller supply if the CPs offer a chance to re-lube and top up the carried bottle with same brand.

Not a train wreck either way - usually carry wet weather brand on long winter/wet rides anwyay, so will have space.

Edited by walkerr

Might have missed this (being lazy checking back). Anyone not what type(s) of lube the mechanics at the CPs are likely to have? Probably going to be running Smoove unless there is a forecast of significant rain. Prepared to carry own of course, but can take much smaller supply if the CPs offer a chance to re-lube and top up the carried bottle with same brand.

Not a train wreck either way - usually carry wet weather brand on long winter/wet rides anwyay, so will have space.

Lube is your own responsibility. None was supplied last year. You could have your bike serviced or lubed at the major checkpoints. You would have to pay for this service. Tyres were supplied free of charge.

The service centres at check points are manned by bike shops so I doubt it there would be a standard product being used.

They would use what they prefer.

Edited by Vetseun

Lube is your own responsibility. None was supplied last year. You could have your bike serviced or lubed at the major checkpoints. You would have to pay for this service. Tyres were supplied free of charge.

The service centres at check points are manned by bike shops so I doubt it there would be a standard product being used.

They would use what they prefer.

OK, cool, thanks for feedback.

Fantastic read. Thanks, well done and good luck for this one!

Thanks for the reminder. I think I read it before, but reading again has got the juices properly pumping ...

So a quick question to all the experienced Munga guys. How did the gravel bikes do on this race and would you consider something like a gravel bike for this race? Some people say the only bike for this race is a full suspension to save your body a little more. Would like to hear what you guys think...

question for those who have done the route.

how many "obstacles" are there along the way?

ie. gates/fences

I'd be inclined to load as much as possible onto the bike (and not your back/body) but if you have to lift it over gates/fences then it can be a schlepp

question for those who have done the route.

how many "obstacles" are there along the way?

ie. gates/fences

I'd be inclined to load as much as possible onto the bike (and not your back/body) but if you have to lift it over gates/fences then it can be a schlepp

Lots and lots of farm gates. You ride , you stop you open the gate you push through,

you close the gate. And 500m on you do it again. and again and and again..... You dont climb fences unless you wish to raid a windmill dam.

Lots and lots of farm gates. You ride , you stop you open the gate you push through,

you close the gate. And 500m on you do it again. and again and and again..... You dont climb fences unless you wish to raid a windmill dam.

ha ha, sometimes it is handy to ride with a partner and take turns to open and close!

I did a mini thesis on gates during freedom challenge. The main postulation is the effectiveness/ease of use is inversely proportional to the cost of it. The only outlier is the bekslaner, which is both cheap and effective, but needs to be made properly to be easy to use.

I have not seen one of these in the karoo yet.

please can anyone let me know when the first one is sighted on our farm roads!

Do any of you guys have experience in fitting bottles cages to the down tubes of your front fork? Any do's and don'ts? Suggestions on what bottle cages to use and how to attach them to the fork? Etc.

My "team mate" and I will carry two bottles in our frames and the plan is to carry two further bottles each on our forks. The obvious aim is to try to keep as much weight off our backs as we can.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Do any of you guys have experience in fitting bottles cages to the down tubes of your front fork? Any do's and don'ts? Suggestions on what bottle cages to use and how to attach them to the fork? Etc.

My "team mate" and I will carry two bottles in our frames and the plan is to carry two further bottles each on our forks. The obvious aim is to try to keep as much weight off our backs as we can.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

I grabbed some of these a while back, although haven't really used them yet and probably won't for Munga:

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/accessories/king-cage-manything-cage/

There's a few variations on the market, but none I have seen for sale direct here - all I have seen need (US / EU) orders. Maybe one of our newer bike packing supply sites is starting to carry them though.

I grabbed some of these a while back, although haven't really used them yet and probably won't for Munga:

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/accessories/king-cage-manything-cage/

There's a few variations on the market, but none I have seen for sale direct here - all I have seen need (US / EU) orders. Maybe one of our newer bike packing supply sites is starting to carry them though.

There is a nifty bottle cage adapter from Wolftooth components (www.wolftoothcomponents.com) that looks very neat you could take a look at?

I`m going to run the setup for Munga and make an extra piece to have 4 x bottles fitted on the frame of my bike.

There is a nifty bottle cage adapter from Wolftooth components (www.wolftoothcomponents.com) that looks very neat you could take a look at?

I`m going to run the setup for Munga and make an extra piece to have 4 x bottles fitted on the frame of my bike.

Have used something similar to those myself in past.

My setup is basically dead simple - I can get 2x 1L bottles inside frame triangle. Then gonna wear a Camelbak Chase . Well thought out bit of kit and weighs next to nothing empty, I hardly notice it's there. Even with 1.5L in it sits very comfortable and is barely noticeable. Depending on how much heat we get I'll either travel with the min 500ml to be race legal, or more if super hot.