[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

I did the 2 battery thing but charging is an issue as the stops are short.

Please remember to run you light on the lowest setting where possible. I forgot to do that and my light died in the Tankwa.When your mind is tired you make silly mistakes. As long as you helmet light is good you will survive.

If those bottles are not camelback toss them. Only use Camelback bottles they will save you.

Camelbak don't do 1L bottles. Have ridden with these for prolonged periods in 45C+. I'm not a fan of hot water, but it's survivable.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

w\what size is your bladder I used the 3l and wrapped it in extra bubble wrap for insulation. Worked well

w\what size is your bladder I used the 3l and wrapped it in extra bubble wrap for insulation. Worked well

Camelbak chase - 1.5L. Interesting idea on bubblewrap, thx

Edited by walkerr

Just for giggles, here's an interesting article on the cooling effect of hot vs cold drinks:

Reason for sharing is having debate with buddy over ice cooling bottles (also mentioned above). I hate drinking luke warm / tepid water, and would much prefer a nice icey cool drink. But I've never felt the nasty warm water was actually impacting my hydration or cooling. So I went to look for some info on which was actually better from a body point of view. An ice drink makes you feel cooler, but is it actually helping your body core heat (which in hot weather is what really matters).

Turns out - that ice, while lovely, may be better on the outside of your body than the inside

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/stay-cool-warm-cold-drinks/

Edited by walkerr

Folks - if anyone in the Stellenbosch area wants a night ride to stretch legs and test kit, a group of us are going to be doing about 195 to 200km starting Friday 2nd @ just after 9pm.

There's actually an official Audax starting at 9pm, which I have to officiate the start of. But that ride is 400km and all tar - plus a few of us need to be back by day break or soon after. So we're going to start about 10 mins behind the Audax so as not to interfere, and turn back early. It won't be an ideal test - yes it will be at night, and those of us doing Munga will be riding fully loaded MTB setup. It's also a a decent distance, and should show up any gross kit or setup issues. But we'll (probably) stick to much the same route as the Audax which means all tar - although if we get inspired we may go find the odd gravel shortcut.

So far looks like 3 or 4 of us are in. PM me if interested.

Edited by walkerr

Folks - if anyone in the Stellenbosch area wants a night ride to stretch legs and test kit, a group of us are going to be doing about 195 to 200km starting Friday 2nd @ just after 9pm.

There's actually an official Audax starting at 9pm, which I have to officiate the start of. But that ride is 400km and all tar - plus a few of us need to be back by day break or soon after. So we're going to start about 10 mins behind the Audax so as not to interfere, and turn back early. It won't be an ideal test - yes it will be at night, and those of us doing Munga will be riding fully loaded MTB setup. It's also a a decent distance, and should show up any gross kit or setup issues. But we'll (probably) stick to much the same route as the Audax which means all tar - although if we get inspired we may go find the odd gravel shortcut.

So far looks like 3 or 4 of us are in. PM me if interested.

there is a 400km Audx

Why do you have 2 lights and taillights,make sure the e trax does not foul on the light

Front light wise the important part is I have 2 batteries - depending on how much hi beam I need for rough sections, that'll last me most of the ride without a recharge. The lamp unit weighs nothing - so why not have both batteries wired in to a working light to make it easy to swap across in the night when one battery dies.

If you're gonna carry spare AAAs for your rear blinky, it's way more convenient to carry them in a working light than buried in the bottom of a pack.

Etrex clears fine - the lights are out front on a short extender bar

Edited by walkerr

Put at least one light under the bars?

No real benefit - easier to manage and use side by side. No fiddling under the bars to find switch in the dark

there is a 400km Audx

I know - had to officiate the start which is why I was there. Figured I may as well take the bike and get a night ride in. Munga rider Ryan joined too - was an excellent spin, weather was near ideal

Time to pick your dots......

Wessel Van Der Merwe

Johannes Smit

Ettienne Kok

Elaine Vermeulen

Nicky Booyens

Roelof Van Huyssteen

Pierre De Jager

Clinton Halsey

Freek Van Tonder

Carlo Gonzaga

Dave Mitchell