The Fake Cycling Goods Thread

Matt

I see the thread came up regarding Peter Wheeler and reminded me again of my dealings with him. Sounded like a decent guy, but I’m guessing appearance is everything.

After telling him I’d take a frame from him last year (Original Cervelo according to him) I had second thoughts and did a bit of homework before I was 100% sure I wanted to part with quite a bit of money. The Frame was fake according to me because the SR was all wrong, but he still argued that it was real. I cancelled the deal and then someone flagged him on the HUB. Later he sent me a voice note to basically say that he got it from a buddy who said it’s not from a dealer. So yeah…

original thread came up about peter lambert, you're talking about peter wheeler.

not that it makes you point any less , just thought i'd point that out.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this Pinarello is for sale on the hub and some seem to think that by stating it's Chinese that's ok.

Snip: but he is making it perfectly clear...that this is a chinese copy. you pay for what you get. 

The way i see it is you are still supporting the trade in fake goods and creating a demand. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/350890-pinarello-dogma-f8-chinese/

This the same Pinarello Team SKY black and blue

post-89039-0-31982900-1551516473_thumb.jpg

Slightly off topic.

Since 2012 I have brought in to Nigeria 8 Chinese no-name brand road frames. I have built them up and every single one is still in one piece. Trust me when I say that there are few places where a bike goes through more abuse than in Nigeria. These guys ride their bikes 5 to 6 days a week on mostly very **** roads.

Never had an issue with any of the frames.

I do agree with the fake goods sold as the original thread however don't write the Chinese frames off as crap. If you are not looking for a branded frame then a Chinese one is a very good alternative.

So this Pinarello is for sale on the hub and some seem to think that by stating it's Chinese that's ok.

Snip: but he is making it perfectly clear...that this is a chinese copy. you pay for what you get. 

The way i see it is you are still supporting the trade in fake goods and creating a demand. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/350890-pinarello-dogma-f8-chinese/

This the same Pinarello Team SKY black and blue

I have also seen a Pinarello 65.1 frame with Campy Record (bought in Italy and ridden in Nigeria) snap in 3 places when my Italian friend rode into the back of a stationary car. He was doing about 30km/h.

Slightly off topic.

Since 2012 I have brought in to Nigeria 8 Chinese no-name brand road frames. I have built them up and every single one is still in one piece. Trust me when I say that there are few places where a bike goes through more abuse than in Nigeria. These guys ride their bikes 5 to 6 days a week on mostly very **** roads.

Never had an issue with any of the frames.

I do agree with the fake goods sold as the original thread however don't write the Chinese frames off as crap. If you are not looking for a branded frame then a Chinese one is a very good alternative.

Comes down to Quality control and carbon used 

i don't think someone who passes his product off as something else will invest in Quality control he's just out to make a buck.

• 1 year later...