MTB Clipless Pedal Suggestions

PedalCrazy

New to MTB and want to get clipless pedals... have used ages ago on my road bike so not totally new to the concept and budget around R900...

Any view on the Shimano PDM 530 Pedals or what other recommendations out there - I do not like eggbeaters as prefer larger "base"

Thanks

Edited by PedalCrazy

IMHO, you can't go wrong with Shimano.

They have served me very well on my road and mtb.

Also, I read somewhere you are supposed to service them every so often.  I have the same set of SPDs on my 1st MTB, now passed onto my son, never serviced and going strong for 7+ years. (and I've taken my share of tumbles and hit quite a few rocks with the pedals and bar a few scratches, they are good as new)

Edited by Swim.Bike.Run

I agree, Shimano is bomb proof. Check out CWC though, for your budget you can get the XT or XT Trail pedals instead of the lower level model and save some weight.

If you are new to mtb consider sticking with quality flat pedals. But if you are set on clips get the Shimano 530 or xt trail. The trail cage is very nice for finding the cleats

Shimano 540's at CWC, really good price at the moment! Bulletproof pedals, no maintenance required, and cheap enough to bin when they do eventually pack up (mine are around 5 years old and still going strong. I've just got the XT Trail pedals, so am hoping for the same bulletproof reliability.

Those M530's are great. I bought a used pair here and they have been flawless for years, just like any other Shimano SPD pedal. Fit and forget. They also have a wider platform which is lekker.

Heads up. They are R550 at cwc. Bargain.

Edited by CAAD4

I've just change my 520 for the 530 as I wanted the wider platform and they're great.

Really felt a difference when starting ant clipped in yet, especially uphill on granny gear where you need to keep momentum

Look S-Track pedals, old version, not SPD version. CWC have them for R650. I use it on both road and mtb  :thumbup:

Could not agree more.  Previously rode with Shimano 520 and 8020, feel much more comfortable with the S-Track pedals.  My pedaling also feels stronger, might just be in my head

Could not agree more.  Previously rode with Shimano 520 and 8020, feel much more comfortable with the S-Track pedals.  My pedaling also feels stronger, might just be in my head

+ Large surface area to clip in and out with ease  :thumbup:

Time ATAC

You can’t beat them for ease of use (clip in and out) and they last forever. I’ve got one pair which I started using using for mtbking +/- 2003 (might actually be 2000) and they have never failed in anyway or needed to be serviced. I know own 3 pairs, 1 for mtb, 1 for road bike and 1 for the tri bike.