Giant TRC advanced vs Propel.

Jon0

Good day everyone.

Need some help deciding between the Giant tcr advanced 2 or the propel,

Same size.

Same components.

What’s the major difference?

Personal opinion?

Riding will be casual to some races to possibly more serious riding with the possiblility of a triathlon or two in the future.

The TCR is a bike with a leaning towards lightness and climbing, whereas the Propel is more of an aerodynamic machine designed for sprinting and solo break aways.

If triathlon is your goal, get the Propel

I actually own both and love them both. While I prefer the TCR due to its climbing ability, I think for triathlons you should go for the Propel, its incredibly aero for the price you pay.

There you have it, from a man who has both. He speaks much sense too.

Now go buy it quickly, before some Friday warrior comes and tells you to look at a Scott or something.

Snip:

Giant Propel Advanced 1 vs Scott Addict 10 2015
Postby Oneway69 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 am

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new roadbike. My condition is fairly well and I hope to soon participate in national races. I've got two offers that I assume is pretty good. The Propel is about 1700 EUR and the Addict is about 2200 EUR. I was wondering which one to choose.

Giant Propel Advanced 12015 w/Ultegra: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/propel.advanced.1/19198/77273/
Scott Addict 10 2015 w/Dura Ace: http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238321020/SCOTT-Addict-10-Bike/

The differences as I see them:
- Propel weighs 8.05 kg vs Addict 6.88 kg
- Propel is more aero - does this matter? I assume changing wheels is most important anyway?
- Propel is known for a good and stiff frame - haven't found that much in the Addict but I assume it is pretty good.
- Propel has Ultegra vs Addict w/ Dura Ace.

It will be used for training, racing and a little bit tempo/triathlon. As mentioned I could and probably will change the wheels for necessary occasions.

Thank you.

I actually own both and love them both. While I prefer the TCR due to its climbing ability, I think for triathlons you should go for the Propel, its incredibly aero for the price you pay.

This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while. If weight is equal, what makes a bike a better climbing machine?

This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while. If weight is equal, what makes a bike a better climbing machine?

All else being equal, the TCR should be lighter, whether the difference is enough to make a difference is another story.

Thanks for the responses

I used to race on a tcr advanced 2, so know the feel...

Just need to decide between the two.

Thanks

I use a Propel for everything and it is a great bike. I went to great extent to lighten the bike within my budget and now it weighs just over 7kg for a normal advanced frame (not the pro version or SL with integrated seat post).

It is more comfy than most other aero options and handles very well. I would recommend getting a size smaller than the normal compact size you ride as the reach is quite long (unless that's what you want) but check out the geometry first and test ride one if possible.

Personally I now REALLY want the new SL with disk brakes.... mmmmmm :drool:

For climbing the TCR for sure. I bought the 2015 Propel and have the 2017 TCR and the TCR is really made for climbing. I find it alot more responsive and agile. But I also happen to love climbing and weigh below 70kgs so that all helps haha

I use a Propel for everything and it is a great bike. I went to great extent to lighten the bike within my budget and now it weighs just over 7kg for a normal advanced frame (not the pro version or SL with integrated seat post).

It is more comfy than most other aero options and handles very well. I would recommend getting a size smaller than the normal compact size you ride as the reach is quite long (unless that's what you want) but check out the geometry first and test ride one if possible.

Personally I now REALLY want the new SL with disk brakes.... mmmmmm :drool:

I'm a Giant fan (have had three TCR's to date) and I'm off to World Duathlon Champs in July.  My TT bike is an old Bianchi Chrono which sadly now is un-upgradable (Square Taper, etc, etc) so I have to look at a new TT bike.  Duathlon is only 40km non drafting, so in your opinion having owned one, do you think a Propel would perform well as a makeshift TT bike - I'll fit my current TT bars and shifters?

I'm a Giant fan (have had three TCR's to date) and I'm off to World Duathlon Champs in July.  My TT bike is an old Bianchi Chrono which sadly now is un-upgradable (Square Taper, etc, etc) so I have to look at a new TT bike.  Duathlon is only 40km non drafting, so in your opinion having owned one, do you think a Propel would perform well as a makeshift TT bike - I'll fit my current TT bars and shifters?

With the right setup perhaps as it is quite aero but it will not be as aero as a true TT machine (current tech) as there are different rules as to what is legal. Personally I would get a Giant Trinity like Tom Poomoulin's mmmmmmm.

post-51814-0-68946000-1525678834_thumb.jpg

But if I look at how many people do IM and similar on normal road bikes with aero bars it could work.

HOWEVER:

This part of your statement tells me that you really need the best possible equipment for the job and thus I would rather just get a TT bike that is legal and correct etc. for the discipline you are competing in (sorry I am unsure of the rules at these events) - since you are buying a bike anyway and it is clear that you are very invested in this discipline, get the RIGHT tools for the job.

I am just worried that you will need to be setup and get used to a new bike - all before July :eek:

Oh and

GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbup:

Edited by s14phoenix

Thanks - you're 100% correct - the course in Denmark will be perfect for a full on TT bike and I actually have a brilliant TT bike - setup is perfect and I really enjoy it, but i'm probably the 3rd or 4th owner and there's a mix of Record, 105, and other bits and bobs which are now all beginning to wear out.  And even if I could get modern parts to upgrade, economically it just doesn't make sense for a 40km ride.  So to replace with a Trinity will be first prize but R40K is a bit rich for me for a bike I probably will ride only 3 or 4 races a year.

So my reasoning was that I need to replace my old TCR frame at some stage anyway so let me get a Propel, convert it to a Semi TT bike and then after, turn it back to a road bike. 

The joys of being a self-sponsored Age-Grouper!

Seeing that you will go into tri, I think this will be your best option.

31919493_953090514852327_128090169025757

In all seriousness - go with the Propel.