Heart Rate monitor doesn't work properly.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a lot of chest hair then try and trim it a bit with a pair of clippers.

In some cases the problem can be due to the shape of your chest like if you have funnel chest. The strap makes poor contact in the appropriate places. Not much you can do about that if it is the case.

Thankfully chest hair isn't in the equation for me. I keep that beast under control. I think my chest shape might also have a role to play. But all in all the more I experiment with everyone's recommendations the more successful I seem to be. Did a long ride this weekend in some blustery conditions. A few ghost readings. But I shifted the transmitter in such a way that it away from any "flappy" bits of my shirt as it were.

GREAT SUCCESS YES! so it seems 100% to be jersey static.

I use a Wahoo Ticker X chest heart rate monitor linked to Strava on my cellphone which is in my back pocket and it records OK (as far as I can determine) as I dont look at it while I ride.

My point is that I always wear a T Shirt below my cycling jersey. In winter if it is really cold 2 T Shirts. The strap is below the T Shirt so even if the cycling jersey flaps the T Shirt does not.

I know OP doesn't want to spend money. But.....

The new Wahoo TickrFIT (or similar optical non chest device) is something I am going to go with as soon as my current chest strap kicks the bucket.

Wear on upper arm. Put on easy with bibs. ANT and Bluetooth simultaneously. Remove easy. Less chance of static. Chest shape no issue.

I like!!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Yup, it is the jersey flapping - I live on a hill - and every ride, because of down-hill speed and shirt flutter - the heart rate goes wild up to 250 b.p.m.

When later on the shirt is wet (from sweat), the flutter does go away.

Gave up on trying to stop the flutter. I now just use File Editing to fix the file before I upload

(Garmin)

I know OP doesn't want to spend money. But.....

The new Wahoo TickrFIT (or similar optical non chest device) is something I am going to go with as soon as my current chest strap kicks the bucket.

Wear on upper arm. Put on easy with bibs. ANT and Bluetooth simultaneously. Remove easy. Less chance of static. Chest shape no issue.

I like!!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

The only issue I have with arm sensors is they miss the peaks of your heart rate. When doing say intervals or a sprint for the line they seem to have issues picking up those peaks. I think when optical tech heart rate monitors reach their second or third generation and the tech matures I will be more than willing to throw my chest strap out the window.

The only issue I have with arm sensors is they miss the peaks of your heart rate. When doing say intervals or a sprint for the line they seem to have issues picking up those peaks. I think when optical tech heart rate monitors reach their second or third generation and the tech matures I will be more than willing to throw my chest strap out the window.

I found in using the TICKR FIT for a couple of months now that when I'm wearing it with the sensor on the inside of my front arm (I wear it on my left arm for no particular reason) I get very accurate peaks and responsiveness. 

My tought is because that part of my arm is quite "veiny" the pick up is very consistent and can not compare with the very expensive wrist units I own.