• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so basically CTCT '19 weather :unsure:  :clap:

edit: just with more rolling resistance and better water stations 

Edited by morneS555

Long term weather forecast it looks like it's going to be muddy in the forest and a strong headwind all the way..might still even get a few last rain drops the morning. To be honest, I'll take that over extreme heat! Not so much the mud and headwind, but the cooler temps will be nice

I see the weather not looking good Sunday, will make a call Friday what to do.

Uhm, that's not wind. You got nothing to worry about. Also, the mountains will do a good job of shielding riders from the wind. The only challenging bit will be the Spitskop descent with the prevailing wind somewhat from off to the right side and possibly swirling. It actually looks like favourable conditions if the temp forecast for 18 deg C holds true. That valley in 26 deg + heat gets sweltering. The Kom se Pad section is shielded by trees, and will keep the head wind at bay.

Everyone, I will be driving from East London to Uniondale on Saturday for this event and will be driving back on Monday morning. If anybody needs a ride, give me a shout. My car does not have a bike carrier on it (my bike is coming down from Johannesburg… Long story and is going back to Johannesburg… the same way it arrived) but if you have a tow bar mounted carrier, my car certainly has a tow bar.

Howdy, anyone know of a lift available from Knysna to Uniondale on race day. Or a bus service?

(yes I know I left this a little late  :eek:  )

Uhm, that's not wind. You got nothing to worry about. Also, the mountains will do a good job of shielding riders from the wind. The only challenging bit will be the Spitskop descent with the prevailing wind somewhat from off to the right side and possibly swirling. It actually looks like favourable conditions if the temp forecast for 18 deg C holds true. That valley in 26 deg + heat gets sweltering. The Kom se Pad section is shielded by trees, and will keep the head wind at bay.

looking at the forecast today we (hopefully) dodged a bullet because Thursday and Friday is reported to be 32/36*C respectively :eek: i'll rather ride in the snow.

Jip, I'd rather take the headwind than the heat! Although, now thinking back to Yzerfontein MTB Challenge there was a 9m/s headwind and that was horrible to ride in. Forecast shows 5m/s at the moment for Uniondale..but like Robbie said, from around the 60km mark we will be shielded from the wind

Jip, I'd rather take the headwind than the heat! Although, now thinking back to Yzerfontein MTB Challenge there was a 9m/s headwind and that was horrible to ride in. Forecast shows 5m/s at the moment for Uniondale..but like Robbie said, from around the 60km mark we will be shielded from the wind

funny enough the wind at Yzer wasn't the thing I remembered the most...other than my frustration with my wife having a REAL bad day on the bike and therefore going at a snails pace.

I'll remeber it for the chaffing my nipples got from that fine white sand making its way under my top. i've never had that experience before...it proper sucks lol. 

i think it's probably also due to the mismatch with the longweekend although we made it one anyway. as a K2C noob i'll ad that the race is difficult one logistically if you have to come from far. You have to get n place to stay in Knysna or similar, organise a way to get yourself and your crap to Uniondale...175km away, if that means getting a driver or friend...he/she is in for 350km round trip on the road, which sucks for them. We basically had to pay for a third person's holiday to come along so we had a 'taxi driver'.

You basically need 3 people so that 2 people can ride if you aren't transporting you bikes via a courier.

The person was willing though and we figured with the cost of bike transport for 2 bikes we might as well drag a friend along instead. Most airBnb's can sleep 3 minimum anyway.

Not such a big issue re logistics. you should have asked earlier. We have been using local co-op drivers for the last 10 years to drive our cars through. If you are from GT then maybe trust could be an issue, but it works. They are there at the finis and hand over the keys. no sweat. I think it costs about 500 zar now maybe less. Have not done it for the last 3 years, as we try and cucle back to ctn so er need to get the car back to ctn, but my driver is driving for my mates now.

I hail from that part of the world, and my Pa still farms in the Kammanassie. Trust me, wind is not going to be a huge hindrance. But if things turn north of 30 deg C, then prepare for a proper vasbyt. Those climbs are proper steep enough to prevent any fast riding in search of a motion induced breeze over the face. Also, the mountains are steep enough to keep you cycling in a wind void for most of the ascents. Things might get toasty. Also, that part of the world is suffering the effects of a lingering drought, and the average temps hover around 30 ish according to my dad, so prepare. Sunblock. plenty of it. And stay hydrated. If it is hot, forsake the PB in favour of proper hydration at the water tables. Your body will thank you on Monday.