[Event] Stellenbosch Mountain Bike Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

Event Name: Stellenbosch Mountain Bike Challenge
When: 29 July 2018
Where: Spier Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

NEW VENUE FOR STELLENBOSCH MOUNTAIN BIKE CHALLENGE

The 13th edition of the Stellenbosch MTB Challenge takes a break from the annual 6 route format and focuses on fun and family with 2 route options launching from our new venue at Spier Wine Estate!

As one of the premier venues in South Africa, Spier Wine Estate needs no introduction and has loads on offer for riders and spectators alike with wonderful food, wine and beautiful scenery to wow the senses. The two routes chosen for this year’s challenge compliments the venue and offering perfectly. To add to the fun, a new trail run will be hosted on Saturday, 28 July to create the perfect winelands outdoor weekend.

Entries are open for the mountain bike event with a 22km and a 50km to start from 8am in various start groups. As there are fewer distance options, entries will be limited to 2000 riders, to give outdoor enthusiasts the ultimate experience. The picturesque routes will cater for beginner to intermediate riders in keeping with this year’s theme of having fun outside with friends & family.

Well-known route designer, Meurant Botha of Dirtopia, was involved in mountain bike routes & events at Spier since the late nineties knows the area well. “This year we’ll focus on the fun take for mountain bikers and even beginners and the younger crowd can enjoy this stunning area of Stellenbosch. We wanted to take a break from the annual format to give us enough time to develop a new rider offering for 2019. That said, the Spier venue and route offerings are sure to be very popular and we’re sure that it has the potential to grow into a stand-alone weekend. ” says Botha.

DATE: Sunday, 29 July 2018

VENUE: Spier Wine Estate

TIME: 50km start at 08h00, 22km start at 08h40

DISTANCES:

• 22km fun ride for children & novices.

• 50km fun ride for intermediate

Riders can expect well stocked refreshment stations, technical support on route and of course all finishers get a special commemorative medal. At the finish carnival there will be kids entertainment, food & drink, and a lucky draw with loads of prizes, including a Giant Bicycles mountain bike, to be won!

Entries will close by the 23rd of July or as soon as the entry limit is reached. Note that each route has an entry cap. Order a unique once off event long sleeve t-shirt or hoody with your entry.

This is a CSA Sanctioned event and CSA membership is required to start in the first starting group per distance. If you do not have CSA membership and would like to start in the first group, please contact CSA and get your membership before entering.

See website for route profiles and more information: www.stellenboschmtbchallenge.co.za

Go to Event Page

hubevents-17845-0-30255400-1526647065_thumb.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai, culled everything but 2 'fun rides'...

They have indicated that they taking a "break" this year before coming back with a bang the following year

"This year we’ll focus on the fun take for mountain bikers and even beginners and the younger crowd can enjoy this stunning area of Stellenbosch. We wanted to take a break from the annual format to give us enough time to develop a new rider offering for 2019. "

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first ever ride I will be doing that covers some parts of our family farm.

I think the first ever ride to do that was the initial "origin of trails" but seeing as back then they did not offer a comp or discount to land owners it has put a permanent black cross behind Origin of Trails for me. For ever. 

Stellenbosch "Die Burger" MTB on the other hand has been a far more pleasant affair and having been invited to the 75km a few times, and just the awesome vibe any Dirtopia ride has in general - this will be such a treat for me personally. 

Bring it on  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

I think the first ever ride to do that was the initial "origin of trails" but seeing as back then they did not offer a comp or discount to land owners it has put a permanent black cross behind Origin of Trails for me. For ever. 

I've always wondered what the arrangements with the land owners are.  Do organizers typically share some of the entry fees with them?

Has anyone seen the route map?

Only the profile published on the website

http://www.stellenboschmtbchallenge.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/05/STB-MTB-Profile-50km-2018.png

We are in. Hope it's not too muddy. Already spent way too much on repairs on my son's Scalpel. Latest is that his outer bearing in the free body collapsed again, destroying the whole hub. New hub plus spokes and rear wheel build.  :eek:

Most probably caused by that muddy Spur Schools MTB race at Southies.

Edited by Moridin

I've always wondered what the arrangements with the land owners are.  Do organizers typically share some of the entry fees with them?

Depends on the organiser at the time. First Origin we got nothing, not even discount. 3rd on my buddy got 2 free entries. 

The 50km as made use of our farm form the past 3 years but even if offered we would not take discount or free entries as we are appreciate the work Dirtopia and their team does all year round to provide people with some of the best trails around. 

Sunday will be a lot of fun, weather will be cool but not wet. It's gonna be a good one!

With around 800m of climbing the route can be considered as fairly easy and non-technical.

as per website, sounds like a pansie funride.