Thanx alot

Rookie101

i can understand everyone's frustration on this topic, but i really don't think the word "asshole" is acceptable on the hub. admin, mods, feel free to delete this post if you agree.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon Freak, ou seun, CLEARLY you had your head up your bee-hind when you were posting on this here thread!!!!  Wake up dude, smell your own poep. 

Number 1, you don't call a lady an asshole.  If your parents never taught you that, then learn it from me!!!!

2. Some of us riders should wake up and realize that we don't own the road when we climb on our (hoe s? oom H) snap crackle and pop bicycles.  We have to co-inhabit (is dit die regte soutie taal?) the road with the other road users.

Lastly, like my mom always said, if the shoe fit.....

See, I knew there are still gentleman on the hub...

Thanx for the vote guys about the name calling....

And my post was a mere observation from a drivers side, if one of the cyclist were hit it was the stupid's drivers fault...

Mutual respect is the answer, on the Hub (Carbon Freak) as well as on the Road. Just ride with consideration and hopefully cars will give you the same respect.

SA seems to be degenerating into the type of society where you do whatever the hell you want to, sometimes with the specific intent to annoy and offend.

Mutual respect is the answer' date=' on the Hub (Carbon Freak) as well as on the Road. Just ride with consideration and hopefully cars will give you the same respect.

SA seems to be degenerating into the type of society where you do whatever the hell you want to, sometimes with the specific intent to annoy and offend.
[/quote']

i echo that. the most amazing thing is how often we all break the law then go on to moan about how corrupt the government/cops/corporate heads/etc are. 

Rookie 101 - while you are correct that the cyclists didn't set a good example, you are wrong wrong wrong in your attitude. 

Don't simply assume the cyclists should be in the yellow line. Cars don't have the right to uninterupted use of the road. Unless the road is a motorway there's no minimum speed limit cyclists are legally allowed to ride in the middle of the road, as slow as they like, provided they don't ride abreast.  Cyclists are usually considerate (and should be - I agree that bunch set a bad example) and allow traffic past but they're actually doing nothing illegal if they don't.

Surprisingly, it is possible to share the road.  I have just returned from a trip to Italy, where I assure you the drivers aren't afraid to travel fast BUT they also wait to overtake and generally acknowledge that there are other road users.

You will find that even in road rage SA you will be a safer, more relaxed and happier driver if you relax, are less judgmental and ignore the minor inconvenience of having to wait.

Um i maybe wrong on this one . But arent Cyclists considered a vehicle and thus by overtaking by  not changing lanes you are breaking the law ?

Not sure on this one so dont cruicify me

bicycles are vehicles.

according to law

vehicles should not drive 2 abreast where there is only one lane.

vehicles should obey road signs and stop at red robots and stop streets.

vehicles should indicate when turning or stopping

Vehicles should have adequate lights between dusk and dawn (and certain other conditions)

vehicles should have a warning device (like a hooter)

drivers of certain vehicles (like motorbikes, bicycles) should wear helmets

...therefore :

cyclists should not cycle 2 abreast where there is only one lane

cyclists should obey road signs and stop at red robots and stop streets.

cyclists should indicate when turning or stopping with hand signs

cyclists should use lights early morning and after sunset

bicycles should have a warning device (like a bell)

cyclists should wear helmets

if you get irate when taxis dont obey the law, dont you think motorists will get irate if you dont.

common courtesy and obeying the law will go a long way to fix it.

In a game of playing chicken between a bicycle and a 2.5 to 2.5 ton moving object ... the squishy object on the bicycle will lose

Rookie 101 - while you are correct that the cyclists didn't set a good example' date=' you are wrong wrong wrong in your attitude. 

Don't simply assume the cyclists should be in the yellow line. Cars don't have the right to uninterupted use of the road. Unless the road is a motorway there's no minimum speed limit cyclists are legally allowed to ride in the middle of the road, as slow as they like, provided they don't ride abreast.  Cyclists are usually considerate (and should be - I agree that bunch set a bad example) and allow traffic past but they're actually doing nothing illegal if they don't.

Surprisingly, it is possible to share the road.  I have just returned from a trip to Italy, where I assure you the drivers aren't afraid to travel fast BUT they also wait to overtake and generally acknowledge that there are other road users.

You will find that even in road rage SA you will be a safer, more relaxed and happier driver if you relax, are less judgmental and ignore the minor inconvenience of having to wait.
[/quote']

No inconvenience to me thought, as I said before, I also cycle and like that my partner cycle next to me rather than behind / in front of me BUT we teach our kidz obide by the law and cycle in single file....

I do not mind 2 next to each other, but 6 on a busy road is really redicilous...

Lowracer, you are correct but we need to concientise cyclists and motorists to realise that cyclists have a place on the road. 

So while its correct to point out that cyclists must obey the law & be courteous its more relevant in this particular discussion to note that motorists generally don't (60km/h speed limit - really ?) and especially that this discussion was started by a motorist whose main complain seems to be that was upset ("thanks a lot") because she was inconvenienced.  (The example to kids bit was tacked on at the end)

The cyclists in question rode abreast, which is wrong, but really only caused a little inconvenience and shouldn't have evoked the ire and irony it did. As cyclists we do need to look at ourselves, but not so much that we blame ourselves for every problem.

Lowracer' date=' you are correct but we need to concientise cyclists and motorists to realise that cyclists have a place on the road. 

So while its correct to point out that cyclists must obey the law & be courteous its more relevant in this particular discussion to note that motorists  fellow cyclist generally don't do (60km/h  100 on this specific road speed limit - really ?) and especially that this discussion was started by a motorist whose main complain  observation seems to be that was upset ("thanks a lot") because she was inconvenienced  I never get inconvenienced, did not mention that as well in the 1st posting.  (The example to kids bit was tacked on at the end)

The cyclists in question rode abreast, which is wrong, but really only caused a little inconvenience and shouldn't have evoked the ire and irony it did. As cyclists we do need to look at ourselves, but not so much that we blame ourselves for every problem.
[/quote']

Fact is, cyclist to cyclist, do not get on your hind legs if the finger is shown to you if you are in the wrong. Rather say "Cool guys, we'll correct the mistake, save our own lives, and set better example to the

public."

All of us complains about the motorists who do not give a dam about cyclists, but have anyone of us thought why they think that?

What gets me is when you come upon a donkey cart,  there still are a lot here in Cape Town,  and cyclists generally travel faster than them,  no-one hoots throws a fit or gets all bent out of shape yet when you come up behind a group of cyclists riding two up everyone throws their toys.

Guys guys guys.... alot more being thrown around than necessary.

Rookie 101 came across a group of cyclists, on a MAIN road, complete with yellow line. Said cyclists were not utilising yellow line, as they should (out of courtesy, but more out of respect for the fact that we go slower than cars and our lives are at risk from taxis etc) and riding MORE than 2 abreast, so that she had to GO OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD (read: in to oncoming traffic) in order to pass.

Now surely, as cyclists, we are courteous and considerate of other road users, and there is an unwritten code that states "no more than 2 abreast at any one time, when it is safe to do so, and doesn't obstruct other road users". Evidently I do not have the same viewpoint as some others on this forum.

End of the line is, don't do as these inconsiderate louts did. Ride safe. Don't block the road. Be considerate. And most of all, never, EVER, call a lady an asshole, or you will get the fists of karma coming for you at a rate of knots.

Lets accept that the louts were inconsiderate. 

Is the correct response for the motorist to "show the finger" at them ?

And if the motorist does show the finger, should we not point out, in a polite manner but without backing down, that cyclists do have a place on the roads ?

No... that would just incite more violence and disregard etc. Plus we'd probably just go after them and kick their wing mirrors off for them.

(no jokes, my mate did this when a Volvo cut him off while he was riding his motorbike)

No... that would just incite more violence and disregard etc. Plus we'd probably just go after them and kick their wing mirrors off for them.

(no jokes' date=' my mate did this when a Volvo cut him off while he was riding his motorbike)

[/quote']

my brother also did this once, even handing the mirror over to the dumbstruck driver, with the words "oh, I don't suppose you'll really be needing this as you clearly don't used it!!!"