Bikepacking - Robertson to Buffelsbaai

Fauret

So we are a bunch of friends heading down to the Annual Knysna Oyster festival for the July Holiday with one simple rule - enter at least the half marathon run on the 7th.

Great, we will all stay in Buffelsbaai for the weekend, I have 2 weeks of leave and has come up with this marvelous idea of getting to Buffelsbaai on my bicycle. I have 4 days so i have planned it as follows.

Day 1 Robertson to Barrydale.

Day 2 Barrydale to Riversdale.

Day 3 Riversdale to Hartenbos (where some of my colleuges will stay)(backroades)

Day 4 George to Buffelsbaai (via 7passes).

All and all about 390km

My idea is to take only the necessary clothing and a extra pair of cycling clothes. This is an opportunity to ride the amazing gravel back roads, experience some small town hospitality and get a good winter base training in.

I will be on my full sus MTB for this trip

I need some comments on the route i plan to take. Anything to watch out for, must do stops, route tips, dangerous areas, places to stay. Basically anything useful since i have never done this.( note I am a experienced cyclist, just not a experienced bike-packer)

This is the link to my google maps route - https://goo.gl/maps/e4fbrFALWqQ2

Go check it out

Thanks

Awesome idea!!

2 years ago I basically did the DC with a friend over 4 days. 

The ride from Barrydale to Robertson is pretty spectacular.

We stayed at the Barrydale backpackers and had a lekker kuier with the local farmers coming in for drinks there.

I was also on my full suspension bike and I only realised on the morning of our trip that my bike couldn't handle my panier rack I bought as the sag made the panier rack press onto my rear wheel.

So I just went out with a backpack with the bare essentials.

Hey there Fauret, sounds like a great trip you got planned.

I also enjoy exploring the back roads around our beautiful country, they often hold hidden jems you would never have thought to be there.

Enjoy the trip and post some pics along the way. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So we are a bunch of friends heading down to the Annual Knysna Oyster festival for the July Holiday with one simple rule - enter at least the half marathon run on the 7th.

Great, we will all stay in Buffelsbaai for the weekend, I have 2 weeks of leave and has come up with this marvelous idea of getting to Buffelsbaai on my bicycle. I have 4 days so i have planned it as follows.

Day 1 Robertson to Barrydale.

Day 2 Barrydale to Riversdale.

Day 3 Riversdale to Hartenbos (where some of my colleuges will stay)(backroades)

Day 4 George to Buffelsbaai (via 7passes).

All and all about 390km

My idea is to take only the necessary clothing and a extra pair of cycling clothes. This is an opportunity to ride the amazing gravel back roads, experience some small town hospitality and get a good winter base training in.

I will be on my full sus MTB for this trip

I need some comments on the route i plan to take. Anything to watch out for, must do stops, route tips, dangerous areas, places to stay. Basically anything useful since i have never done this.( note I am a experienced cyclist, just not a experienced bike-packer)

This is the link to my google maps route - https://goo.gl/maps/e4fbrFALWqQ2

Go check it out

Thanks

In a week's time i will be on my bike somewhere between Robertson and Knysna.

This morning I came across a big group of cyclist passing our farm on their way to Montagu with their end destination also being the Oyster festival.

So I am currently doing the last preparation for this solo trip. I have changes the route a bit with Barrydale being swapped for Swellendam.

(Here is my new route : https://goo.gl/maps/tSipS15U8m82 )

I Still need some help from you guys.

1st - nice places to stop for a coffee or a bite in Swellendam , Suurbraak, Riversdal, Herbertsdale??

2nd - Best luggage bags to carry, under saddle? On Handlebar? on a Dualsus bike (Looking at the the Roswell bags from CWC)

3rd - What is a realistic avg speed to make my planning? With +/- 8kg of luggage on the bike?

Since I have never done such a trip I am quite pinned on the detail.

In a week's time i will be on my bike somewhere between Robertson and Knysna.

This morning I came across a big group of cyclist passing our farm on their way to Montagu with their end destination also being the Oyster festival.

So I am currently doing the last preparation for this solo trip. I have changes the route a bit with Barrydale being swapped for Swellendam.

(Here is my new route : https://goo.gl/maps/tSipS15U8m82 )

I Still need some help from you guys.

1st - nice places to stop for a coffee or a bite in Swellendam , Suurbraak, Riversdal, Herbertsdale??

2nd - Best luggage bags to carry, under saddle? On Handlebar? on a Dualsus bike (Looking at the the Roswell bags from CWC)

3rd - What is a realistic avg speed to make my planning? With +/- 8kg of luggage on the bike?

Since I have never done such a trip I am quite pinned on the detail.

I did gysmanshoek pass in 2014, all good there.

swellendam, come now you should know better than us!

suurbraak i think there's one cafe of sorts

Riversdale you got the kiff bakery place you've been past a million times on the N2

herbertsdale dunno.

your experts in local cycling /grrotvadersbochs are these guys http://www.strawberryhillfarm.co.za/mountainbiking.html (well it's actually a lady)

luggage, i wouldn't go with anything untested - depends what you have, but you can roll sleeping gear and strap under handlebar. otherwise just go with it on backpack.

are you sleeping at accom or rough camping?

3)rough speed - not all kms are created equal, but bank on 10km/h as stops slow you down

Aside from the gear, since you are literally pedelling past Garden Route Trail Park by Karatara, it would be sheer sacrilege if you don't do a lap.

Rob will definitely store your goods in a safe place, while you earn the best bit of trail heaven this side of British Columbia... :whistling:

I did gysmanshoek pass in 2014, all good there.

swellendam, come now you should know better than us!

suurbraak i think there's one cafe of sorts

Riversdale you got the kiff bakery place you've been past a million times on the N2

herbertsdale dunno.

your experts in local cycling /grrotvadersbochs are these guys http://www.strawberryhillfarm.co.za/mountainbiking.html (well it's actually a lady)

luggage, i wouldn't go with anything untested - depends what you have, but you can roll sleeping gear and strap under handlebar. otherwise just go with it on backpack.

are you sleeping at accom or rough camping?

3)rough speed - not all kms are created equal, but bank on 10km/h as stops slow you down

Thanks, decided to opt for Grootvadersbosch rather than staying in Swellendam, makes my next day a bit easier.

Maybe I can do a ride on the trails (although it will be probably very wet) the morning before leaving for Riversdal.

I bought a handlebar bag and saddle bag for the trip to store most of the gear on the bike. My camelbak is also coming along so there is some space for essentials.

@Robbie - The Trailpark is definitely on my list. Did a lot of epic training there in Dec and it will be a shame if i pass it without giving it a go. Very underrated

Really looking forward to this trip.

Would like to do a small Ride-report afterwards

Edited by Fauret

Thanks, decided to opt for Grootvadersbosch rather than staying in Swellendam, makes my next day a bit easier.

Maybe I can do a ride on the trails (although it will be probably very wet) the morning before leaving for Riversdal.

I bought a handlebar bag and saddle bag for the trip to store most of the gear on the bike. My camelbak is also coming along so there is some space for essentials.

@Robbie - The Trailpark is definitely on my list. Did a lot of epic training there in Dec and it will be a shame if i pass it without giving it a go. Very underrated

good luck, keep us posted!...don't underestimate how moeg you will be, trailpark is at the end of a very decent nudge - but very close to buffels and you're there all week

You want to put a handlebar bag on those already extremely busy handlebars?[emoji6]

Topeak do a nice big saddle box thing that mounts to your seatpost, maybe you still have enough space on the bottem of your dropper. Ask Johan to show you the one that Hoffie purchased for his touring needs.

Alternatively if you have booked overnight accommodation in advance send a parcel with clean gear and toiletries to the various stops, this way it will be waiting for you there instead of you having to haul it along on the bike.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hi Eben, Bought 2 bags from CWC, for cheap and they work quite well. Spaced into the cables so it doesn't interfere. Friends of mine is on holiday in Hartenbos and I've sent some essentials along for the last stretch.

Hi Eben, Bought 2 bags from CWC, for cheap and they work quite well. Spaced into the cables so it doesn't interfere. Friends of mine is on holiday in Hartenbos and I've sent some essentials along for the last stretch.

Are they the roswheel bags? I'm eyeing them, will appreciate our comments after the trip.

So i've got some bummer news. Had to pull the plug this morning due to heavy rains and cold on sections of the route as well as further down the road. Enjoyment just was not there.

Would have loved to do a great ride report afterwards but due to a restricted schedule i will need to do this trip later this year, maybe September.

Thanks again for all your input. This is a bitter disappointment. Very glad about the rain though.

Hopefully till next time...