FARR Gravel Frame-Kits - Cromo Frame and Fork

Farrnus

Can I use a 1x mtb crankset on the frame or do I need a road or gravel specific crank? Q factor, chainline and all those questions...????

Hows your build going gogo@? Are you comfortable on the small frame?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I use a 1x mtb crankset on the frame or do I need a road or gravel specific crank? Q factor, chainline and all those questions...????

Hows your build going gogo@? Are you comfortable on the small frame?

You’ll be up and riding well before me ????

I’m still going round in mental circles trying to source stuff (that I can afford) and figure out what I want (that I can afford)! But that’s why I’m doing this. Learned so much already...

Crank - had to order a 105 in 165mm and the wait for that is 2 months as Shimano distributors don’t have stock (yawn...)

So in the meantime I’ve discovered the GRX range which is what I’ll go for to get the gearing I want but now to work out what I can bodge with that and what not... so I’m back to thinking of a mix of 105 and GRX (crank and derailleur) using mechanical disks like yours as TRP sounds like a better system than the Avids!

????????

If you’re going to run a 1x crankset what derailleur (and cassette range) are you using?

You’ll be up and riding well before me ????

I’m still going round in mental circles trying to source stuff (that I can afford) and figure out what I want (that I can afford)! But that’s why I’m doing this. Learned so much already...

Crank - had to order a 105 in 165mm and the wait for that is 2 months as Shimano distributors don’t have stock (yawn...)

So in the meantime I’ve discovered the GRX range which is what I’ll go for to get the gearing I want but now to work out what I can bodge with that and what not... so I’m back to thinking of a mix of 105 and GRX (crank and derailleur) using mechanical disks like yours as TRP sounds like a better system than the Avids!

????????

If you’re going to run a 1x crankset what derailleur (and cassette range) are you using?

Youre gonna have a real nice build I see.????

I am just throwing a few things together. Hope it works. ???? Will be 10 speed 105 shifters and a 36 or 38 oval on crankset. Have a slx rd and hope it can work on a 11-42 cassette. This will have to do the job at first. Peddle harder or faster if it fall short a bit.???? but geese I need to get the thing running...netnou roes hy...????

can't wait to see some of these builds.

to clarify some regular queries we are receiving via e-mails:

1. bike can be run 1x or 2x - frame allows for both options

2. front is Post Mount so you need a Post-Mount Caliper - a FlatMount cannot work on Post Mount ... 

3. frame can take 140 or 160mm rotors - choice is yours 

4. we have various components in stock for these frames : seat posts , stems, handlebars , rotors, cassettes , saddles, bar tape etc.

let's see some BUILD PICS  :thumbup:

can't wait to see some of these builds.

1. bike can be run 1x or 2x - frame allows for both options

2. front is Post Mount so you need a Post-Mount Caliper - a FlatMount cannot work on Post Mount ...

3. frame can take 140 or 160mm rotors - choice is yours

4. we have various components in stock for these frames : seat posts , stems, handlebars , rotors, cassettes , saddles, bar tape etc.

let's see some BUILD PICS :thumbup:

Thanks Farrnus.

Don't you sleep those hours of the night?????????

Youre gonna have a real nice build I see.

I am just throwing a few things together. Hope it works. Will be 10 speed 105 shifters and a 36 or 38 oval on crankset. Have a slx rd and hope it can work on a 11-42 cassette. This will have to do the job at first. Peddle harder or faster if it fall short a bit. but geese I need to get the thing running...netnou roes hy...

Brilliant! That ratio should do most stuff (besides the walking bits :whistling: )

Goals may shift here too due to impatience.  But this is going to be THE bike for long, long rides...

Keep us updated  :)

Please indulge an idiot for a moment, and so just to be absolutely clear, my understanding is I can use a flat mount set (fitting the rear) but need to get a flat mount to post mount adapter for the fork, rather than the other way round??

Brilliant! That ratio should do most stuff (besides the walking bits :whistling: )

Goals may shift here too due to impatience. But this is going to be THE bike for long, long rides...

Keep us updated :)

I hope to get it comfortable for lekker long hours in the saddle. Edited by Stevovo

Please indulge an idiot for a moment, and so just to be absolutely clear, my understanding is I can use a flat mount set (fitting the rear) but need to get a flat mount to post mount adapter for the fork, rather than the other way round??

Dont think you get adapters available but have seen these selfmade ones.????

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/353515-flat-mount-brake-to-post-mount-frame/ I see the add have been closed but send him a PM.

My understanding is that Flatmount to Postmount cannot be done ... but Postmount to Flatmount can be done ... hope that makes sense. 

going forward we will do FlatMount Forks ... make life simpler for everyone. Unfortunately that will mean a change to Carbon Fork which will push price up -- hence the decision at the time to stick to Postmount . 

My understanding is that Flatmount to Postmount cannot be done ... but Postmount to Flatmount can be done ... hope that makes sense. 

So you need to have two different brake calipers?  Flat mount at the rear and post mount at the front?  That's not normal.  Oversight in design?   :ph34r:  :whistling:

So you need to have two different brake calipers?  Flat mount at the rear and post mount at the front?  That's not normal.  Oversight in design?   :ph34r:  :whistling:

not oversight ... very common at OE level ... do some checking, you will find it all over the place on entry-level/mid-level METAL GRAVEL BIKES. All the " big mass-produced boys " do it!

when you go into CARBON, it becomes FLAT + FLAT ... easy to throw punches as " oversight " but we do lots of homework and to get a GRAVEL FRAME with butted tubing, thru-axles, internal cable option and taper head tube compatible at SUB R5k retail is not common -- the only reason we could do it is because they are being SOLD DIRECT TO YOU - no stockists or dealers who are carrying stock. 

Well would you accept that your considered design decision and it's implication on self-build component selection could have been better communicated?

not oversight ... very common at OE level ... do some checking, you will find it all over the place on entry-level/mid-level METAL GRAVEL BIKES. All the " big mass-produced boys " do it!

when you go into CARBON, it becomes FLAT + FLAT ... easy to throw punches as " oversight " but we do lots of homework and to get a GRAVEL FRAME with butted tubing, thru-axles, internal cable option and taper head tube compatible at SUB R5k retail is not common -- the only reason we could do it is because they are being SOLD DIRECT TO YOU - no stockists or dealers who are carrying stock.

I bought one of these Cromo framekits from Farrnus and can say that the quality and desigh is top notch. I am very happy with it. Beautiful paintjob and desigh. Everything I need on a frame that I plan to do many long rides on for many many years and at a great price. The first new bike frame I will ever own. I buy everything used but at this price it was possible for me to get it new.

(If there was a weak link it would be me not knowing enough and trying to get away with the lowest budget while building it up????)

Dont think you get adapters available but have seen these selfmade ones.????

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/353515-flat-mount-brake-to-post-mount-frame/ I see the add have been closed but send him a PM.

Thanks!! I did see that... but best to avoid if possible then.

Advantage of buying TRPs is they have both options available so no problem there. But it rules out other brake sets like maybe the GRX I think (although I’d have to check).

Thought I was being dense getting posts and flats muddled but apparently not.

Well would you accept that your considered design decision and it's implication on self-build component selection could have been better communicated?

To take this on I knew I’d be in for some learning so... I asked the question just to be clear. Happy that I did because this is what I thought might be the case although someone who knows most things assured me you get adaptors for both.

Building a bike like this the way I want it means running into industry standards and trying to work around them so it’s no design fault and it’s clear on everything I ever saw from Farrnus what the frame and fork standards are. So, no problem there!

Shimano has recently launched its GRX groupset so that potentially solves some problems, like getting a decent crankset and long travel derailleur that works with drop bar shifters. Plenty other options and probably much easier if you throw money at it or go for flat bars but, hey, where’s the fun in that??

It’s going to be awesome when it’s done!!