FARR Gravel Frame-Kits - Cromo Frame and Fork

Farrnus

Just pulled the trigger on a frameset. This will be a bit of a spare parts build as I have most of what I need. The big question mark for me is the groupset and brakes...

What is the cheapest 1x gravel groupset available, as well as cheapest hydro brakes? I'm not really bothered by weight and brakes just have to work...

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pulled the trigger on a frameset. This will be a bit of a spare parts build as I have most of what I need. The big question mark for me is the groupset and brakes...

What is the cheapest 1x gravel groupset available, as well as cheapest hydro brakes? I'm not really bothered by weight and brakes just have to work...

awesome ---- Sram Apex is the cheapest build -- the local importers, Cape Cycle Systems, should have all parts you  need - including the Brakes ( they stock both FlatMount and PostMount Calipers so you just need to order the correct versions from your dealer ).

don't forget to post a pic of the frame/bike when you get it  :clap:  :clap:

awesome ---- Sram Apex is the cheapest build -- the local importers, Cape Cycle Systems, should have all parts you need - including the Brakes ( they stock both FlatMount and PostMount Calipers so you just need to order the correct versions from your dealer ).

don't forget to post a pic of the frame/bike when you get it :clap: :clap:

Thanks, I will do! It's probably going to be a bit of a slow build being n+1 (+1) and all - but keen to get it done!

Not 1x but if I was building again, tempting...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/377405-shimano-tiagra-10-speed-disc-groupset/

I did see that as well as another groupo (both 2x) in the classifieds for good prices - hopefully they hang around for a week or two so pay-day can come around. I gotta say I won't go 2x on a mtb again, but for what I will be using this bike for I am not too phased by either 1x or 2x.

only a few of these left and we found a "shop-soiled" sample with a small scratch on the downtube. This is a 54cm LARGE Size.

Note : this has the straight seat stays as was a sample from a bike we were working on ...

so this one is going for just R 3500!!! will include the usual front + rear axles + headset + seat clamp.

here is the link to the frame on the website

frame is BRAND NEW!!!! 

post-121972-0-32894500-1566541908_thumb.jpg

post-121972-0-73604600-1566541939_thumb.jpg

post-121972-0-56989900-1566541968_thumb.jpg

What length stems are you all building up with on Large frames? Haven't been on a drop bar bike in a while so not really in touch with the norms these days...

Thinking 90mm is a good place to start.

What length stems are you all building up with on Large frames? Haven't been on a drop bar bike in a while so not really in touch with the norms these days...

I've got a 100mm on, started out with a 90 but swapped it out to try a 100 and it's much of a muchness

geo on these is still quite " conventional gravel " so a 90 or 100mm should be fine ... there is a trend ( like MTB ) for longer reach and shorter stems - but this version of the FARR OUT is not about that  .... yet .... 

geo on these is still quite " conventional gravel " so a 90 or 100mm should be fine ... there is a trend ( like MTB ) for longer reach and shorter stems - but this version of the FARR OUT is not about that  .... yet .... 

Happy to hear that, fits the bill for me.

Groupo arriving tomorrow so building up on Friday, will post some pics then.

What groupset did you go with?

awesome --- looking forward to seeing some pics  :clap:  :thumbup:

Ok, so here we go, really happy with the way it turned out - but a bit of a hodge podge build!

- Large frame

- Roval Wheelset I had in the garage (21mm internal width)

- Farr Dot Gravel tyres - 45c (set up tubeless)

- Shimano Tiagra 2x10 hydro groupset sourced from the classifieds. This was a bit of a mess, I had to borrow a post mount calliper from my wife's bike for the front brake because a flat mount cannot be made to work with a post mount fork (Iknew this going in). Back brake was fine. Front mech did not work - it was a bottom pull 31.6mm clamp - I needed a 34.9mm clamp with top pull. Had to use an old silver (UGLY) Sram XX1 mech. I will go to 1x when Shimano GRX becomes available here - that way I can keep the brakes I have now.

- Rapide Frontier Gravel bar - 440cm, handlebar tape, and 160mm rotors.

- Ryder Force saddle

- Funn seatpost and stem (90mm)

Overall I am very happy with the setup, will take her out for a spin Sat morning and post some better pics than this.

post-82251-0-92833000-1567107697_thumb.jpg

Best part... all in I spent 11k for this build (obviosuly does not include value of parts I already had).

Worst part... she is a porker. Didn't weigh yet, but I am guessing 10kg+.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Ok, so here we go, really happy with the way it turned out - but a bit of a hodge podge build!

- Large frame

- Roval Wheelset I had in the garage (21mm internal width)

- Farr Dot Gravel tyres - 45c (set up tubeless)

- Shimano Tiagra 2x10 hydro groupset sourced from the classifieds. This was a bit of a mess, I had to borrow a post mount calliper from my wife's bike for the front brake because a flat mount cannot be made to work with a post mount fork (Iknew this going in). Back brake was fine. Front mech did not work - it was a bottom pull 31.6mm clamp - I needed a 34.9mm clamp with top pull. Had to use an old silver (UGLY) Sram XX1 mech. I will go to 1x when Shimano GRX becomes available here - that way I can keep the brakes I have now.

- Rapide Frontier Gravel bar - 440cm, handlebar tape, and 160mm rotors.

- Ryder Force saddle

- Funn seatpost and stem (90mm)

Overall I am very happy with the setup, will take her out for a spin Sat morning and post some better pics than this.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190829-213948_Gallery.jpg

Best part... all in I spent 11k for this build (obviosuly does not include value of parts I already had).

Worst part... she is a porker. Didn't weigh yet, but I am guessing 10kg+.

awesome - thanks for sharing!! 

we'll have some CARBON forks soon ... help reduce the weight ...