Suggest a bike for MTB newbie

Andreas_187

Can I ask some buying advice, I'm a total MTB newbie. I'm looking for a full suspension XC style bike but with more travel, probably 120/130mm.

What would you recommend for around 25-30k?

For a cross country capable trail bike with 120/130mm of travel I would suggest the following: (They all have options ranging from affordable to eye wateringly expensive):

- Scott Spark (not RC)

- Specialized Camber

- Giant Trance (a bit more travel and 27.5 wheels)

- Cannondale Rush

- Silverback Synergy

You have a ton of aluminium options in your price range. Have a look at www.bikeaddict.co.za - they have some very good specials on and from what I've heard give great service.

If you want to go carbon you will probably be looking second hand - but good news for you is that it is a buyer's market right now. If you look in the classifieds here you will find some very good bikes in your price range. Downside is that if you go second hand you will not get warranty cover - so just take out some insurance in that case.

Happy hunting!

Oh, and just a piece of advice, when buying focus on getting good suspension and brakes, don't get too caught up in the drivetrain - most mid level drivetrain components perform as well as top end components at a fraction of the price - the same cannot be said for cheap suspension.

And test ride as many bikes as you can...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Can I ask some buying advice, I'm a total MTB newbie. I'm looking for a full suspension XC style bike but with more travel, probably 120/130mm.

What would you recommend for around 25-30k?

If it's pure XC you want (a little over budget) - 

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-8/p/21892/?colorCode=black

If it's fun you want - 

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-5-27-5-plus/p/21790/?colorCode=grey

I'm amazed that a R39k bike that is on sale for R30k is entry level. Ouch

Yeah, this sport/hobby is ridiculously expensive. There is nothing that can justify the prices we pay for things. But despite all of that we always find one more thing to upgrade...

Silverback Sido 1 retail at R35k with fox suspesion and GX Eagle drivetrain, nothing can beat that currently!

I would not go 1x for a beginner though

I would not go 1x for a beginner though

Why? 1x12 Eagle has a bigger usable range than 2x10, and 1x is much simpler to operate - only harder or easier there is no cross chaining, no overlaping gears, no dropped chains, space for a 1x lever for your dropper post. I don't see any downside to 1x12 for a beginner.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Started off with a 2013 Scott Spark 950. Main reason was the twin lock system for rear shock and fork. Helped a lot to understand suspension dynamics. The only part I grew to dislike was the DT Swiss shock. Yuck!

Edited by keithbe

Why? 1x12 Eagle has a bigger usable range than 2x10, and 1x is much simpler to operate - only harder or easier there is no cross chaining, no overlaping gears, no dropped chains, space for a 1x lever for your dropper post. I don't see any downside to 1x12 for a beginner.

I'd disagree. Very much a beginner myself and with 26/36 front and 11/46 back I can go from 11-36 to 46-26 . On eagle you'll lose at either end depending on your choice of chainring

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, I'm completely clueless about MTB but I am a roadie so I don't have 'beginner legs'.

I'm liking the Scott Spark range.

I'm not finding any great deals in the classifieds. The bikes aren't that much cheaper than a new sale bike.

Edited by Andreas_187

You need to look around for 2nd hand bikes. Having spend a couple of months looking, I noticed that a few sellers don't really understand the resale market... hence over priced. 

Here is a couple that I have seen (If I see anything else I post it)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2462775674/permalink/10156308797365675/?sale_post_id=10156308797365675

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156085760715791&set=pcb.2114192938621170&type=3&ifg=1

Find what you like, and then focus on those. I went from Scott to Merida to Silverback and back again.... and eventually ended up with a Lapierre 929 Ultimate with Brand new frame... and loving it... 

Edited by nelian