32T Or 34T Oval

AlanD

"going up to a 43t upfront"

I assume this is a slight dislexic moment.

Indeed it was that sort of moment..lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your cassette is dead why not go up to a 34t oval and get a 11-46 cassette? Therefore more upper and lower end.

That would be a great idea. The problem is i bought a brand new 11-42 cassette a while back as it was a bargain but i could sell that off and get an 11-46...

If a weekend warrior like myself can survive a 32 with a range of 11-40 (while seriously contemplating a 34) then you should be fine with your lighter granny. Plus your trance probably weighs less too. It will feel like a bit of a mission to begin with but I'm pretty sure you'll get use to it after a ride or two. 

I'm not even fast. But I run out of gears too. Not often, but there are sections where I wished I had some traction on tap. Just do it. After a couple rides you'll wonder why you even wondered about it. 

Exactly like me: a weekend warrior where parts i need some extra gears so might be worth the 34 oval.

If i had to go for an 11-46, which one would be comptable with my SRAM XD driver?

Im on 34 oval with 11-46.

Been riding it for 6 months with no problems in the climbing department.

Will be changing the 34 for a 32 come Trans Baviaans.

If i had to go for an 11-46, which one would be comptable with my SRAM XD driver?if you 

Alan if you have a Sram XD Driver then surely you must have a 10-42 cassette and not a 11-42 cassette.

Alan if you have a Sram XD Driver then surely you must have a 10-42 cassette and not a 11-42 cassette.

FFS...i really am having a Dyslexic day today :lol:

correct, i have an XD driver and have a 10-42 cassette.

This means that if i want an 11-46, i also need to replace the XD driver with a non XD one. So this means, instead of just getting a front chain ring, i would need to replace the driver also and get a new Cassette...mmmhh

As for Eagle, nice but its not like im sweating money....lol...

I already have a new 10-42 cassette that i can use so really just wanted to know about the 32t or 34t, now all of a sudden im googling, hub replacement, 11-46 cassette, eagle...lol..

This means that if i want an 11-46, i also need to replace te XD driver with a non XD one. So this means, instead of just getting a front chain ring, i would need to replace the driver also and get a new Cassette...mmmhh

As for Eagle, nice but its not like im seating money....lol...

I already have a new 10-42 cassette that i can use so really just wanted to know about the 32t or 34t, now all of a sudden im googling, hub replacement, 11-46 cassette, eagle...lol..

You can get a one-up expander to replace the 42t with a 44t on the cassette to give you a greater ratio.

This means that if i want an 11-46, i also need to replace te XD driver with a non XD one. So this means, instead of just getting a front chain ring, i would need to replace the driver also and get a new Cassette...mmmhh

The thing is that a 11-46 cassette is not going to solve your problem if you want more top end speed.  You will actually be slower with a 34x11 than with a 32x10.

Play around with this :- http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

e thirteen then

how so myles? remember, you don't pedal an ellipse, you pedal a circle... (these are ellipses).

If power is constant throughout the 360 deg (it isn't) the torque (is that the correct term?) exerted on the chain will remain constant using a circular chainring. If the chainring is elliptical, and all else is equal, surely (don't mind if i call you surely) the torque (?) on the chain will vary?

i'm asking. if my thinking's wrong, educate me

This is how I understand it as well

Had a 32T round front and 1142 rear. Found out i hardly to never touch the 42. Decided to go for the 34T Oval front and 1146 rear just for that extra steep climbs. I also weight 62kg and seems to climb easy on the steep sections. 

Don't go 11-46t. Especially seeing as you want more top end. For comparison, you will get the following ratios with a 34t chainring and 11-46 cassette:

Top end - 3.09

Low end - 0.74

With a 10-42t and a 32t chainring you will get the following ratios:

Top end - 3.2

Low end - 0.76

In other words you get pretty much the same granny with your current setup (10-42t cassette and 32t cassette) as with a 11-46t cassette and 34t chainring, BUT you lose alot of speed at the top end. And it will cost you because you need to get a Shimano freehub to do it.

The way I see it you have the following options...

1. Get a e.13 cassette (9-46t) with a 32t chainring giving you a massive 3.5 ratio on the top end and lekker granny ratio of 0.69. Dowside to this option is the cost of the cassette and the big jumps between gears.

2. Get a new 10-42t cassette with a 34t chainring. You will be fine. I recently went from a 30t chainring on a 10-42t cassette where I used the granny quite a bit to a 32t chainring. I thought I was gonna die the first two rides, but you adapt very quickly - and after a few rides forget that you even lost that little bit of range.

My opinion on oval vs round rings. Oval is cool, and does help but it's not that big of a difference. I climb the same hills with the same ease on my bike with an oval ring as my bike with a round ring. It is not like pedaling 2t harder in the efficient part of your stroke and 2t easier in the inefficient part - more like a slight improvement in your pedaling smoothness.

Keep in mind though, if you go 34t oval your frame needs to have clearance for a 36t chainring, not many bikes have that clearance, so make sure before you buy.

Don't go 11-46t. Especially seeing as you want more top end. For comparison, you will get the following ratios with a 34t chainring and 11-46 cassette:

Top end - 3.09

Low end - 0.74

With a 10-42t and a 32t chainring you will get the following ratios:

Top end - 3.2

Low end - 0.76

In other words you get pretty much the same granny with your current setup (10-42t cassette and 32t cassette) as with a 11-46t cassette and 34t chainring, BUT you lose alot of speed at the top end. And it will cost you because you need to get a Shimano freehub to do it.

The way I see it you have the following options...

1. Get a e.13 cassette (9-46t) with a 32t chainring giving you a massive 3.5 ratio on the top end and lekker granny ratio of 0.69. Dowside to this option is the cost of the cassette and the big jumps between gears.

2. Get a new 10-42t cassette with a 34t chainring. You will be fine. I recently went from a 30t chainring on a 10-42t cassette where I used the granny quite a bit to a 32t chainring. I thought I was gonna die the first two rides, but you adapt very quickly - and after a few rides forget that you even lost that little bit of range.

My opinion on oval vs round rings. Oval is cool, and does help but it's not that big of a difference. I climb the same hills with the same ease on my bike with an oval ring as my bike with a round ring. It is not like pedaling 2t harder in the efficient part of your stroke and 2t easier in the inefficient part - more like a slight improvement in your pedaling smoothness.

Keep in mind though, if you go 34t oval your frame needs to have clearance for a 36t chainring, not many bikes have that clearance, so make sure before you buy.

Option 1 - Bliksem but that e13 cassette is expensive. Rules this option out.

Option 2 - I think i will go for this option as i already have a brand new 10-42 that i bought i while back at a good price. As for the oval, i currently ride the 32t oval so really just sticking with it and will check the the measurements to see if it will clear, if not will then just go with a round 34t.

Archived