Pressfit BB replacement?

Mongooser

What it boils down to is press fit doesn't work in the cycling industry due to a long host of problems

Threaded are easier for us dummies to understand and as mentioned hide the issues much better

Have had A threaded hope bb, with big ass 30mm I'd bearings for more than two years now and it's never even made me think about it

Cleaned it once and the bearings just seem to get smoother

I've watched a video about the thing look are doing and it seems very interesting but are people willing to pay for frames that are made correctly to work well with press fit systems?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the Wheels threaded conversion BB, but just take note you need a special spanner to fit it. Wheels sell them, and Park tool makes one too.

Edited by Knersboy

the shell must be between 86 and shorter if i recall the scalpel is around 83ish width wise. the outboard ones are too wide. so if going threaded make sure it the flush ones like your pf cups on the outside. i also had to remove a spacer otherwise the sideload is too much. replaced bearings only now no more of that other creaky stuff.

Edited by UnclePolli

What's the ball park cost for these Wheel Manuf conversion BB?

ive gad 3 and none had the same price 

cheeapest was R990 most expensive was R1350 

this is two years ago , since i got hope Ive not changed bearings or cups 

That's spot on! Its implemented poorly by many manufacturers. 

Problem with threads is the same *&^wits will tap threads off centre too!

Threaded BB's were designed when BB's had loose balls and a cup and cone arrangement for the cups and axle. You could then preload the bearings properly.

The Italian BB's had the threads cut through the BB from one side so the Threads were always aligned because the thread tapas still engaged while the other side was being cut. One single operation and both sides were always aligned. (unless the appi cut them then all bets were off.)

Thanks as a still learning self taught appie mechanic found that informative

BSA BB's had to have the threads cut from each side and often suffered misalignment issues. But because the axle was free floating between the bearings and the bearing surfaces had to "run in" this was generally not a problem. Easily sorted at the first service by a little adjustment. The bearings would wear the correct running path into the race.

Today with separate cups that have bearings pressed in on either side and then either threaded in or pressed in,  bearing misalignment is still an issue if the threads or pressfit surface are not aligned. Pressfit is easier to correct though.

To me, press fitting a bearing into a cup then threading the cup into the frame seems daft. Just as daft as pressing bearings into a cup then pressing the cup into the frame is equally daft. This is just a cheap way to crook misalignment till the bike has been ridden for many miles.

I think LOOK have the best system. They mould an alloy sleeve into the frame. That sleeve is made as one part and manufactured to correct bearing tolerances on their BB65 and now BB386. Their BSA bikes also had a moulded in sleeve where the threads are cut in a single operation.

Most of these frame manufacturers don't allow correctly for shrinkage of the carbon resin.

Trek has a recent history of really poor BB design. BB92 was an absolute joke I wouldn't buy any of their bikes with that system. Bearings too small and often misalignment press fit surfaces or not round. I hope for their sake that they have a threaded alloy sleeve moulded in and then Cut the T47 threads from both sides with the frame not moved around to get the other side cut. If cut in separate operations they'll have a high risk of a misaligned threads that will create a misaligned BB that will be a bigger nightmare to correct. Time will tell. 

I still like the idea of the BB30 system but Cannondale really stuffed up the execution with maintaining a 68/73mm BB shell when they could have made the shell much wider. That original alloy BB30 shell was clever.

Photos as promised.

mainly the non drive side where the bearing is stuck. As you can see the previous bearing fitter/replacer may have messed up the cups.

Also the adapters are pictured, for information.

post-24416-0-28829400-1592738849_thumb.jpeg

post-24416-0-10837000-1592738872_thumb.jpeg

post-24416-0-60657900-1592738892_thumb.jpeg

Not a fan of those adapters, rather just get a proper bb for 24 mm cranks. As the others have mentioned the threaded press fit interface types seem less problematic. 

Edited by warick_wrx

ive gad 3 and none had the same price 

cheeapest was R990 most expensive was R1350 

this is two years ago , since i got hope Ive not changed bearings or cups 

so probably a bit more with the current forex, but it's still not that bad

so probably a bit more with the current forex, but it's still not that bad

Considering that even if the bearings wear out in time you have the BB and that you could get super high quality bearings for what the disposable plastic Bb's cost, I'd say it's one of the best investments you could make for your bike

And of course your sanity will return after not having to endure the creaking

I have the WheelsMfg BB on my Epic, best money I ever spent!

Having said that I went with those cups on one of my road bikes since I wanted to use an Ultegra crank I already had when building it. Haven't had any problems but then again I don't ride it that often (once or twice a week) and it's a road bike so less dirt and stuff?

Photos as promised.

mainly the non drive side where the bearing is stuck. As you can see the previous bearing fitter/replacer may have messed up the cups.

Right, so after lots of information, and peoples lamenting of the pressfit bearing implementation within the cycling industry, I am no closer to any answers.

Wheels mnf at this stage is not an option. Wife has severely diminished income (if anyone is looking for a cycling coach (with a sport science hons) - lemme know)

Do I only replace the bearings? or the cups as well. I assume the cups are the bigger "flange" type metal piece that the bearings sits in. Is this pressed into the carbon frame?

Bearings should be easy to source from bearingman, Cups? "Any reputable" bikeshop? 

Do I try and find bearings that will work without the adapters? Is there such things? the bearings will then basically be exposed to the elements ?

Apologies for my loads of questions. Working on my wife's prized Yeti, is taking my life into my own hands, I really don't want to stuff anything up. 

Photos as promised.

Whoever fitted those cups is a butcher!

I can see where your problems lie. The cups are likely slightly distorted. They can be hammered out with a bearing remover tool for 30mm axles.

Bearings can be removed without the cups having to come out but I'd get the cups out too to ensure that they are refitted parallel to each other

Whoever fitted those cups is a butcher!

I can see where your problems lie. The cups are likely slightly distorted. They can be hammered out with a bearing remover tool for 30mm axles.

Bearings can be removed without the cups having to come out but I'd get the cups out too to ensure that they are refitted parallel to each other

Thanks D'nD

I'm not sure who worked on the bb last. I will have to go back on some invoices to check.

I will get the cups out and see if they are salvageable. Looks to me the distorted part of the cup is pressing against the bearing, and thus the bearing isn't turning. 

Now to break the news to the wifey.....