Am I being scammed?

Chingy182

Him: I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can make the payment asap. Please Note: a pickup agent will come for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

Me: Hi Barry

The bike is available. But it's completely broken and needs to be fixed by a mechanic. It should cost around R15000 to fix . But you can have it for R35000 as I charge more for offshore customers earning dollars. 

You will also need to buy a new fork as I'm keeping it. So basically it's just a frame then. 

I am a member on skrill which is great. 

Do you want the bike for your cousin?

Him: Cool! Send me the customer ID, the full name and the email on the Skrill account so I can make the payment now.

Haha, I'd say there's at least a 62% chance he's a scammer. OR he doesn't like his stupid-face cousin and the surprise is the fact that the cousin will be expecting a kick-ass new bike when in fact what he will getting is a busted bike that's going to cost him R15k to get going. Classic burn

I had the same - told him the advertised price was actually USD and not ZAR so price was actually US$10K and not ZAR10K - he was happy with that and made 'payment' to my PAYPAL account with user name "ekisadoos"...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aaaaah... The old oil rigger scam. A mate of mines brothers is a rig diver..I must ask him if he has difficulty buying things on second hand sites ????

I dread the day some genuinely offshore diver tries to buy his cousin a bike for his surprise birthday.

The poor oke won't know what hits him! He'll tell his cousin stories about what a bunch of w@nkers hang out in cycling forum classifieds, and all he wanted to do was buy his poor cousin a nice bike.

If you don't want to part with your busted bike, I'll sell him my Merida TFS500 for that price in $ please. Will you give my details to him, he can have my whole bike for that $ price.

Archived