Knee Pain on Outside Left Knee Only

Hi All,

I have been recently been getting some knee pain on the outside of the left knee only and only when cycling.

Havent had this before but its everytime i ride and is sore thereafter for the whole day where walking upstairs is a struggle.

I ride flat pedals so no cleat position to look at. Saddle height is fine unless i need to look at this again?

What could the possible causes be and what should i be looking at to adjust on my bike?

Thanks

Change Analysis 101: what's changed from prior to when you presumably didn't have knee pain, to when you did have knee pain?

In general, cycling is considered to be less stressful on the knees than other activities because it is a low impact, low load-bearing sport. Knee injuries can occur, however, because of overuse, poor technique or an incorrect fit between the bike and the rider.

The pain you describe could be due to inflammation of the kneecap (patella) or the ligaments and tendons that support the knee, or damage to the joint itself. Specifically, given that you are having pain under the kneecap and the side of the knee, it could be the result of one or a combination of the following conditions:

Had the same kind of issue with my left kneee years ago - i could run 10km without discomfort, but 5min on the bike felt like hell. ITB was causing inflammation as it rubbed against the knee.

In my case stretches for the itb, glute and quad, and then adding a 1.5mm spacer between the outside of the cleat-shoe interface solved the problem. When I removed the spacer a year or so later the problem did not resurface.

Change Analysis 101: what's changed from prior to when you presumably didn't have knee pain, to when you did have knee pain?

I've tried to ascertain this but nothing much comes to mind. I did recently change my saddle but cannot recall if the pain was still there before that, I think It might have been.

In the last few months I have been riding a lot more than usual, 3-4 times a week instead of only once.

I had it too, and still have to be aware of it to prevent.

A couple of factors in my specific issue:

Increased training intensity without proper base, so muscles were struggling to support the join correctly. Remedy was adding squats to my training to strengthen.

Lack of stretching too, so added stretched before and after rides, as well as when tightness is experienced... Foam roller goes a long way.

Bike fit. My specific case was a combination of saddle height plus leg length discrepancy, only discovered when I had a fitting done by spez... Remedy, correct the fit and add a in shoe shim to compensate.

Problem does not recur if I ensure I have a good base before drastically adding mileage or TSS, as well as stretching and rolling.

I've tried to ascertain this but nothing much comes to mind. I did recently change my saddle but cannot recall if the pain was still there before that, I think It might have been.

In the last few months I have been riding a lot more than usual, 3-4 times a week instead of only once.

So is an increase in riding frequency the potential change-point? If so, did you increase frequency all at once? i.e. one week, once a week, then the next week, 3-4 times thereafter?

So is an increase in riding frequency the potential change-point? If so, did you increase frequency all at once? i.e. one week, once a week, then the next week, 3-4 times thereafter?

Yes. Started a job in Jan where i was away alot and then started to take my bike down with me as I could ride du to the shifts I worked.

I haven't ridden in a couple days and yesterday was my first ride after about 5 days and still got the pain.

Maybe some stretches and exercises are I order.

I would say that is the problem right there...

Had the same issue, same pain - also after increasing my duration/ frequency.

Changed cleats, saddle height, shoes - the whole lot to try and solve it.  No luck.  Eventually, solved by rest and stretching...

Probably not what you wanted to hear but give it a couple weeks break and then start again slowly....  Stretch in the interim...  

Lateral side sounds like ITB

Stretching of the glutes might help.

Also sounds like the left is either weak or taking the bulk of the force.

Check also during pedaling if your knees are stable or moving in and out during the stroke and wobbling around

I have also been practicing wheelies and manuals lately (which i still suck at) and been trying to get my knees out so that might also contribute.

Strangely, the brunt of the force is made by right leg which is the leg I use to get the front wheel up on the wheelies.

Apart from what the actual cause is you can also do the following:

Rub a cube of ice on the knee every evening when you are already in bed to reduce inflamation if it is the case.

Pushing heavy gears also hammers your knees. Push as light a gear as possible. Not only is it good for your heart and lungs but it will also reduce the stress on your knees.

Although you use flat pedals check your alignment of your left foot on the pedal.

Hope it heels soon Johan

I have also been practicing wheelies and manuals lately (which i still suck at) and been trying to get my knees out so that might also contribute.

Strangely, the brunt of the force is made by right leg which is the leg I use to get the front wheel up on the wheelies.

Hahaha, I swear that practising wheelies is also what does my knee in, I've sworn off doing them till my knee is 100% again, I've also started foam rolling in all zones it's possible on my legs, definitely helps loosen them up.

Archived