Garmin 735xt swimming lap inaccuracies

Dullscalpel

It is the position of your hands and the device when pushing off. I have tried to replicate it and my hands position messed with the Garmin’s head (920XT)

I think what emerges from a quick reading of other's experience is that I am a really bad swimmer and the watch gives me extra laps out of embarrassment and pity. 

I will confess that when it has occasionally short changed me a lap, on the next one I flip over onto my back which makes it count that one as two laps .... pro tip!

as far as i understand it the watch counts laps using acelerator type thing.eg it will not measure the lap if you gently turn at the end of the lap.it uses your push-off from the wall to count the lap.if you stop start in the middle of the lap the initial halfway start will be seen as a new lap.my guess is that it is the same with adjusting cap goggles etc.i push stop and resume.

I have a 935, and initially it was consistently 2 lengths short on a 2000 m swim. It drove me crazy, because my old 920 was spot on for 5 years. Then after about 3 months, the 935 seems to 'correct itself'. Haven't had a mis-count for a few months now. 

In researching the problem, there was a suggestion on a US forum that you should warm up well before starting in the pool. Swing your arms around vigorously etc., this activates the accelerometer. If you don't and just hit Start as you push off the wall, the accelerometer takes some time to get itself sorted. Not sure if this is BS or not, almost like the flippin' thing has got its own brain!  

I suspect there's a slight bit of BS in that... You don't swing your arms to activate your accelerometer before a run.

Before screwing up my shoulder I used to get a lot of lap count inconsistencies on my F5. One firmware update fixed it - had very little count issues (over or under) at that time. 

About to get back into the water shortly after a couple of months of just running and a little bit of cycling, so will be interested to see how it behaves on current (newer) firmware in that regard. 

To add to my comments - F5 beta firmware just went up another increment.

After reports that swimming lap accuracy is (again) off off in 9.71, this from 9.72 beta changelog:

• Improvements to pool swim distance accuracy.

So best bet is to get on the latest (I tend to stay on latest OFFICIAL, not beta) firmware for your watch - it is more likely than not FW related. Or go back to a level you know it worked, if this is more important than whatever has changed since. 

Well, that and of course the usual accelerometer tips... 

Edited by SeaBee