Trans Baviaans 2018

maidenmole

I went with real food and hammer perpetuem, did some 100km rides before on hammer and it worked great. When I got to 104km checkpoint I started bonking and by bergplaas I was done for it. Luckily had some backup powerbar gels in the box and started loading eating gels and downing them with coke and putting what they had at the checkpoint in the bottle. Had a recovery Milk as well, chucked the hammer in the bushes and got on the road again. Didn't really know what worked but I felt great again at the checkpoint after bergplaas and did exactly the same at all the checkpoints there after. Finished nice and strong and neverender we took 5min of my teams best time. My buddy had some soup and it nearly killed him...haha...Sugar was my friend

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I underdressed. Completely my own fault, especially when I had lots of warm stuff stashed in all the drop boxes.

Started the race feeling hundreds, sitting with a great average speed, feeling good. Started the race with my RideFarr jacket on, it was perfect. And a buff around my neck which was pulled over my face if it got a bit dusty.

I think at CP2 or so I took the jacket off, so then just had a regular race shirt on, short sleeve. It was cool but ok. On the downhills I could feel it was a bit nippy. On the 2nd fang the legs came off, but I'm not sure if it was from fitness (which I doubt, I'm pretty fit), or the cold shutting the body down. So I put the jacket back on, but damage done. Oh, and by that stage I had already hurled once. More on that later.

Bergplaas took forever thanks to me walking most of it. At the top I took my RideFarr jacket off (windproof), and put my thermal top on, nice and fluffy (not windproof). My teammate was feeling 100x better than me, but with me being faster on downhills I dropped down MAC much faster than he did so that he could rather catch me up and not waste time. He caught up about 5km after the downhill ended.

At Pakhuis I was cold. The thermal wasn't doing its job, or it was but it was no match for the cold. The wind would just blow whatever warmth you had straight out the back of the thermal. Left there still cold, quite cold.

On never ender I died. I'm pretty sure it must have been the cold shutting the body down. I crawled while on the bike, and walked. I would stop and lay my head on my handlebars to "rest". Twice, I immediately fell asleep. My legs would buckle and that sense of falling wakes you up again. Cold. I think I read once its signs of mild hypothermia, the sleepiness. Other friends also reported being very "sleepy". Oh, and stopped to properly hurl on Never Ender. 

Never ender took over 2 hours I think.

At CP7 our supporters saw us off, but 500m later I turned around and asked for another jacket. Gatvol of the cold. I put my rain top (windbreaker/rainjacket) over my thermal, and only then did I feel the heat starting to build. Finally. The last 30km into JBay I was strong (thanks to heat?). MiniMAC was a breeze, legs strong. Smashed up the last climb to the mall catching 5 or 6 teams.

Finished in 14h40m or so. Almost 3 hours slower than planned. Riders who I usually assist with a push on the back during group rides, came past me on Bergplaas and Never Ender. So yeah, a bad day.

* Overshare warning *

At CP2 or CP3, can't recall where, I grabbed a quarter slice of orange, as I really enjoy oranges in general. I was "clever" and didn't touch any of the sugar chewy sweets or anything. Orange and a potato to keep everything natural. Also had a very lekker sosatie.

On Baviaans Back, I puked. What comes out...? half of the orange I had. Sosatie still down. At Bergplaas I had a cup of soup and half a slice of bread, very lekker. Also downed the protein milk. No puking. At Pakhuis I had a few bites of a chiproll. And also the most of a can of Score for a bit of kick.

5km into Never Ender, huge puking. What comes out? Not the sosatie. Not the chip roll. Not the soup. Not the bread. The other half of the fking orange comes out that I had BEFORE the other stuff I ate, hours ago. So the stomach literally pick 'n chooses what it wants and doesn't want, and literally just purges THAT one thing.

I wish I could find someone that could sort my food out for me, dunno how. In all the long events I do my stomach always gets upset. Training always on point. Nutrition always a f-up.

Anyway, Baviaans No.11 done. 

Stick to carbs only, too much sweet stuff upsets the stomach. When you spoke about oranges it reminded me off my rugby days as a laaitie ,at half time sliced oranges wld be given...kots kots kots verder.

Eating meats(biltong ,droe wors, sosatie), 12hrs for stomach to digest ….Way to long and what do you get from it just a bit of protein which isn't a fuel for endurance....

Protein only good for recovery.

Some might say but the salts r good, and they r but not on a peanut or meat. Take 2 x Rennies 1 hour before competition, helps with the cramps.

T.B race food in the 8h00 riding consumed.

Started with:

5 Far bars 1 Power gel 1 cheese mayo roll white 1 x 750ml Refuel Carb drink

Every 45min I ate 1 bar

Gel is a Emergency ITEM

Checkpoint 1 :skip

checkpoint 2 :had to skip' everyone else did :wacko:

Checkpoint 3 :half coke half water

Checkpoint 4 :half coke half water and dried out buttered slice off bread :thumbdown:

Checkpoint 5 : took on 2 more Far bars and Carb drink refuel

Check point 6: sticker :thumbup:

Checkpoint 7: 2 rennies and a RED BULL :clap:

The Red Bull kicked ass, but I wont recommend it as something to take midway or anything caffeine, leave those stuff for last 1-2hour, because coming down from a sugar rush is like a Sunday morning after a rave party... :blink:

Sweety stuff.....chocalates, energade ens.

Gawd I got it all wrong then.

Rode with Powerade, the ION4 version which is supposed to have more salts.

Didn't have any sweets on the bike, only savory. few pieces of biltong. Tuck biscuits and bacon kip biscuits.

Had quite a few gels, and they were all caffeine gels. 

The Score (high caffeine) I had at Pakhuis came out with the last piece of orange on Never Ender.

Next year, Race Bars (salted apricot maybe), and christmas cake. And water.

Didn't have any sweets on the bike, only savory. few pieces of biltong. Tuck biscuits and bacon kip biscuits.

The Score (high caffeine) I had at Pakhuis came out with the last piece of orange on Never Ender.

I always carry a few rennies with me, it has a double purpose of sorting the stomach out and preventing cramps....works for me.......but obviously don't go to town on the sweet stuff.

Hells bells man! You have done 11 and still puking. What hope is there for those who are trying to get the pluck to do 1.

Hells bells man! You have done 11 and still puking. What hope is there for those who are trying to get the pluck to do 1.

If you aren't afraid of kukking off a bit, its a relatively easy ride.

- Nothing wrong with Powerade/Energade/ Hammer/ Enduro/ Game/ 32GI/ Coke/ etc/etc.

- Rennies has no effect on cramping, other than perhaps psychological.

- Real food is great when one gets hungry, but you don’t need it, andit takes long to digest (macro nutrient dependant), and with decreased bloodflow to the gut with exercise, can become and obvious problem.

- There is no such thing as a sugar rush during exercise.

- Eating stuff during the race that you have not tried during training will bite you....!

Read this article by Jeroen: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/articles/training-nutrition/a-scientific-guide-to-race-day-nutrition-r5485

I'm on 15 and I still puke. And only ever at this race. And only ever at the same places - top of MAC, or top of NeverEnder.

24hr race - solid.

36One - solid.

DC - solid.

Baviaans - BLAUAUAUAUauaaauuuuuauuuuu 

I'm on 15 and I still puke. And only ever at this race. And only ever at the same places - top of MAC, or top of NeverEnder.

24hr race - solid.

36One - solid.

DC - solid.

Baviaans - BLAUAUAUAUauaaauuuuuauuuuu 

You guys rode well, you were just ahead of my buddy Eugene and his partner.

You guys rode well, you were just ahead of my buddy Eugene and his partner.

Thanks Gap. We rode well for 180kms and extremely k@k for the last 50kms ;P

Race report to follow soon!