Theft of bikes at races

pappadiv

You can get U locks for R350.00 solid stuff.

Avalanche makes a great lock for R210.00 bolt cutter proof and tested in Denmark, yep this happens everywhere...

I try to sell the above to my customers but funny enough they not interested, they always take the flimsy,cheap cable locks that I hacksaw off in 3min...Go figure

Those that load there bikes onto back off Bakkies protected with a canopy, some insurances state that the bike must be locked as well, not just the canopy so just make sure how your insurance works in terms with the above mentioned.

I have a U lock, but it's too short to loop around the platform part of the rack - not comfortable locking the bike to the rack with it, as I always think that the Thule bit can be unscrewed and the lock then just slid off.

Anyone else have a solution

That really sucks!

It seems like Stellenboosch is real hotspot.

I agree the security will have plenty on, but when replacement bikes are north of R50k, why not have some sort of rider ID like at the stage races.

Rider gets a bracelet and it matches a race number. It certainly would make the security job much easier and might stop the skelems in cycling kit.

Or a bike park. If the CTCT can do it, I'm sure a smaller MTB race can too.

Not easy, but something needs to be done...

That really sucks!

It seems like Stellenboosch is real hotspot.

I agree the security will have plenty on, but when replacement bikes are north of R50k, why not have some sort of rider ID like at the stage races.

Rider gets a bracelet and it matches a race number. It certainly would make the security job much easier and might stop the skelems in cycling kit.

Or a bike park. If the CTCT can do it, I'm sure a smaller MTB race can too.

Not easy, but something needs to be done...

Have you noticed how badly behaved cyclists are at events, particularly with organizational staff and security? I doubt very highly that everyone would be happy to be stopped, bike and ID checked before coming in and out of the venue... Let's not even start with the latecomers who are rushing to get into the start chute and will lose their minds being stopped... I just don't see it being very sustainable.

However, I have thought about this, and proposition that maybe events should have a bike corral with a guard. If you need your bike looked after, you can check it in, hang in on a rack, and check it out when you're done with the rewarding lunch or Garmin screen comparison over a pint... I think this will work because a) I can't see it costing too much to set up at events. B) it seems like the majority of stolen bikes at events are either on a car or unattended during a bathroom break or otherwise, so a bike nursery would be perfect. C) I could even see a R20 fee being charged as pretty reasonable, an event could even throw in a bike wash or whatever...

Anyway, I just think unattended bikes are too easy to steal and we cant expect events to do everything for us.

Reckon bikes get stripped and sold as parts,

Pretty good business, cost of stock is zero after all.

No serial numbers on cranks and rims etc, quite tough for anyone to prove that parts are stolen.

Huge market for the parts.

Wonder what happens to the frames?

Maybe they just sell them on scumtree in another province to avoid detection.

If its organised syndicates then maybe they export the lot up into Africa without stripping the bikes.

Somehow I reckon the former scenario is most likely.

I just put my bike in my car. Boot with the seats down will swallow road bike or MTB. More than 1 bike I need to resort to a bike carrier. Can you get this Kryptonite lock locally?

We used to keep our bikes insight after race. If you lock your bike on a bike rack and walk off, any thief watching knows he probably has 30mins before you return.

It's sad but it is what it is.

From recent limited travels in Canada (Vancouver), US (Chicago) and Gelmany (Frankfurt etc) there are lots of bikes but, it seems, lots of bike theft as well so lock types are many and everyone has one. Just about every bicycle not being ridden is locked up.

The most secure, very popular, and provided to us when we hired bikes, seemed to be an Abus folding / hinged type in a solid steel of some type. Bloody heavy and long enough to fit through one wheel, frame and rack, post etc.  ABout R1 000 in their money.

I will not park my bike anywhere in the UK casually. I have seen too many okes lose bikes parked in shopping centres etc.

I pay a chunk of cash every month for access for secure bike storage at my gym. They have a secure room with cctv, with facial recognition access and bike lock racks. Even there, I use a very expensive d lock and am insured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess its one of those realities we have to deal with living in ZA. If you choose to live here, you have to be fine with the fact that your stuff may get stolen and be properly insured / covered for that eventuality. It sucks, but that's unfortunately the way it's going to be until we get education/unemployment/poverty fixed.

Nyet

Not only SA

A few years ago it took me 2 hours to get my bike out of a 70.3 Transition in Switzerland after the race.... they stopped and photographed everyone one by one as you left with your bike... same when you entered.

Apparently syndicates targeting the bikes and dressing up as athletes

From the UK, arguably one of THE bike theft capitals.

Nowadays no one wants to "get involved" when they see stuff going on. Like he says, he can use an angle grinder in the middle of the day and no one says a word.

What about the alarm type cable lock, had a mate with one, cable looks a bit on the flimsy side but it makes a hell of a noise when cut! Also because it is a longer cable can go around multiple bikes. Think I have seen them at builders