theo bos' million dollar bike

Tumbleweed

20080611_031355_theos_bikenu.jpg

i posted on this last week, but i can't seem to use the search function here on the hub.

some info i've culled from the wires and the 'net (sorry can't find a link):

- it's being made by dutch cycle maker koga miyata

- koga, a high-end bike maker in the north of the netherlands assembles bikes by hand

- koga enlisted experts in the aerodynamics and carbon technology sectors, including several who had worked on the ariane-5 space rocket and the joint strike fighter project.
- the company initially budgeted $100,000. costs soared to around $1 million as it tested various materials, made numerous moulds and conducted multiple trials.
- the bike with is named kimera after chimera, the part-lion, part-goat and part-serpent Greek mythological creature

- koga says it has the lowest air resistance of any bike in the world

- koga will produce the Kimera for the mass market at around 10 000 euros

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if you can say it's a waste. it's more of a marketing thing. it's not like the bike actually costs a million smackers. write up the bucks spent to r&d, get a coupla rich trackies to buy a couple, make your money back.

sure, like was posted elsewhere (thanks for the link, fiasm), bos'll have egg on his face if he fails to get gold, but, hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained?

Wow...and all of that just for the track....what a waste!!!

Why do you say that Wonder Woman? If say Mariaan Vos came with a Kogo road bike with that price tag will it still be a waist????

Just like roadies need the ultimate machine, track riders also need it! So why you say it is a waist? Just because you are not a track rider?

(no attitude or nothing) just a question....Smile

Think it's a waste because that money could have been put to better use......just my opinion....

Embarrassed

i.e. Feed a small African country?

BUY an island for yourself?

Buy 800 Raleighs and started a cycling club for PDIs

Buy everyone pizza each day for a month.....

You know....stuff like that!!

Hopefully Bos doesn't also go and 'snuif 'n lyn' in his spare time, like some other big international rider who also had a special bike frame developed for him (500 000 Euro price tag, if I recall correctly). Wink

Like Mr HR said...it is just the first bike that is so costly the rest is pretty much affordable for the top riders.

Would you say it is fair to say that the first ever Canondale that was made was also costly?

Buy everyone pizza for a month....where did that come from????LOL

Like Mr HR said...it is just the first bike that is so costly the rest is pretty much affordable for the top riders.
Would you say it is fair to say that the first ever Canondale that was made was also costly?

Buy everyone pizza for a month....where did that come from????LOL

i like that. all hubbers, please note the respect that fire affords me. that's how it should be doneBig%20smile

fire, a big Hug to you!