Total ascent variation Garmin Fenix 5X and Edge 1000

RallyRob

I cannot recall this being such a big problem in the past, but recently I notice that the total ascent recorded by my Garmin Fenix 5X watch differs by as much as 20% from the ascent recorded on my Garmin Edge 1000.

I know what to expect in terms of ascent on my normal weekend rides and the Edge 1000 GPS is definitely much more realistic that the Fenix 5X watch.

For instance this morning the Edge 1000 GPS recorded 560m climbing in 43km whereas the Fenix 5X recorded just 370m of climbing over the same distance.....I know from last experience using other devices that this route is definitely more than 500m climbing.

I have checked that the watch software is up-to-date and even double checked the watch settings, but cannot find anything obvious which would explain the discrepancy is total ascent.

Any thoughts or ideas......has anyone else experiences a similar problem with their Fenix 5X??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So not just ne? I am literally on watch nr 5...

Had 3 normal fenix 5 warches and now nr 3 fenix 5x. All have a major issue here. My mates on garmin edge devices differ by mayble 20 and mine shows as much as 50% under what they have.

That is just problem one, then comes the bluetooth drops, the hr broadcast that just stops and last and most importantly the optical hr that just drops and goes down and down and nver comes up past 70%. Other times it works and reads im doing around 140% of my max.

I have given up on a fenix 5x this week.

Again this morning ( with a loaner unit) did a ride i do often and it reads around 80% of the elivation. Alos took around 25 minutes before my hr starting reading accurately.

Ps just a note, i read on the forums the 5plus titanium is accurate. People hipothisis that due to the material and the weight it sits better and moves less.

GPS in it's nature is only accurate to a few meters at best, so I guess it's each device's GPS that plays a roll. The difference you are reporting is very big though. Funny enough I have only one device, a suunto ambit, and even with one device I'll get different elevation readings on Strava vs Movescount. Weird 

Make sure that Glonass is activated on both devices. It should give a more accurate reading for your rides. It does however use a little more battery though.

I know that I have experienced the same issue with my Forerunner 935 which runs the same software as the Fenix 5. Showing a completely inaccurate total ascent value to my Edge 520.

I did some digging and I see that this bug should be picked up in the next Software release as it is included in the latest BETA - see this is the same for the Fenix 5. See below in bold:

Changes made from version 9.72 to 9.73:
  • Added canned text reply support (Android only).
  • Added additional Connect IQ 3.0 features.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause elevation graphs to be smoothed and total ascent and descent values to be inaccurate.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent sensors connected over BLE from reporting data.
  • Fixed an issue causing HR data for pool swim activities to be graphed incorrectly in Garmin Connect.

Ps just a note, i read on the forums the 5plus titanium is accurate. 

For 1000 euros it better be 

:w00t:

Make sure that Glonass is activated on both devices. It should give a more accurate reading for your rides. It does however use a little more battery though.

Fenix 5 uses barometric sensor for altitude changes and not satellites so GLONASS on or off shouldn't make a difference to elevation. Not sure about the 1000 but the 520, 820 and 1030 are the same.

Fenix 5 uses barometric sensor for altitude changes and not satellites so GLONASS on or off shouldn't make a difference to elevation. Not sure about the 1000 but the 520, 820 and 1030 are the same.

does this mean that weather systems and temperature have an effect on altimetry?

I have the same issue between vivoactive 3, edge 520, tomtom spark an Strava. I sometimes ride the exact same routes an get different numbers.

does this mean that weather systems and temperature have an effect on altimetry?

As far as I know they have a temperature correction but weather systems would have an effect. It should be fairly minor though. Weather systems don't influence the air pressure much compared to altitude.

I know that I have experienced the same issue with my Forerunner 935 which runs the same software as the Fenix 5. Showing a completely inaccurate total ascent value to my Edge 520.

I did some digging and I see that this bug should be picked up in the next Software release as it is included in the latest BETA - see this is the same for the Fenix 5. See below in bold:

Changes made from version 9.72 to 9.73:
  • Added canned text reply support (Android only).
  • Added additional Connect IQ 3.0 features.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause elevation graphs to be smoothed and total ascent and descent values to be inaccurate.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent sensors connected over BLE from reporting data.
  • Fixed an issue causing HR data for pool swim activities to be graphed incorrectly in Garmin Connect.

Brilliant!! I have a Forerunner 935 (10000x better than heavy Fenix) and experience same issue after last software upgrade. Will download BETA immediately. Garmin make awesome devices...but their backup software and support thereof is close to non existent. Only they will know how a new release introduces ten times more issues than the previous one had..I guess regression testing (or BETA testing) is not important

Maybe update to the latest beta firmware and see if things improve https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11665

Update 9.53 has improved GPS, 

• Added GPS + GALILEO support (Activity Settings > GPS). (Requires GPS version 2.20)

I have the F5 and Edge520 and both are fairly close to one another.

As far as I know they have a temperature correction but weather systems would have an effect. It should be fairly minor though. Weather systems don't influence the air pressure much compared to altitude.

Agreed and barometric based altitude is far more accurate than GPS. If you stop and start your ride at the same spot you can spot the effect of weather changes if there is a difference in altitude which is usually minimal and some software will then compensate for it.

Brilliant!! I have a Forerunner 935 (10000x better than heavy Fenix) and experience same issue after last software upgrade. Will download BETA immediately. Garmin make awesome devices...but their backup software and support thereof is close to non existent. Only they will know how a new release introduces ten times more issues than the previous one had..I guess regression testing (or BETA testing) is not important

Pedal Menace - would you trust the BETA version to be okay?

Archived